Masters Running

Monday - 7/28 (Read 38 times)

Mariposai

Aamos, next time you go there, please eat a few of the yummie treats for me. Thanks for thinking of me my friend.

Leslie, 100 miles in 22 hours, wow.

Thanks for your concerns about my community. FIMA is coming today. We hope to get some assistance from them.

Watermelon anyone?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59 I am with you about the fires.  I saw a rare report on them this morning.  Given their scope and the damage they have done you would think that the news coverage about the fires out here in the north-east would be at least reasonably extensive.

stumpy77 you are redoing your own deck!    Have I got a job for you!

mrrun the weather has been pretty sticky here in CT too.  But about an hour ago the humidity and storms all cleared out.  Hopefully, it is coming your way.

Mariposai man you need a new running partner, one that can go more than 3 miles!  In other news, I want to point out my Zombies Run! base now has over 500 people, who are all extremely happy and totally secure against zombie raids.  Just saying.  

Spareribs made the news too!  Wow, congratulations!

AamosY you are a tougher runner than I am!  The thought of sitting in a chair all day after a marathon . . . shudder!

fatozzig there is this new commercial for an air conditioner that is getting a lot of air play out here.  There is a couple and the wife wants the thermostat set high to keep the bill down and the husband wants it down.  They are on the couch.  Husband and wife start making out, husband has a laser pointer which he focuses on the thermostat.  The cat chases the light, lowering the temperature.  The wife figures out something is up, looks back, tries to stop the husband, instead manages to wave the light behind some wine glasses that the cat then knocks to the floor smashing them.  For some reason every time I see this commercial I think of you.  I wonder why?  

wildchild that is not a "trail run with a local group."  That is some sort of running survival test!  I think BlazinCajun wants to join your next outing.

evanflein next time do your long run through the blueberry fields.  Then if you need something to get you through a few miles just grab it!

tetsujin209 I am not a big salmon fan, but the salmon I had up your way last year was something else!

tselbs another one?  What is with the tired so I went out and . . . this place has gone crazy!  Crazy I tell you.

Holly S. I hope the weather in Ohio was nicer than here yesterday for a 14 mile run like you did.

enkephalin at least you keep casting.  Sorry, Door #18 was not more promising.

Mike E yes, that is what I do.  I say to myself, "Wow yesterday's run was brutal!  To make up for that I will do 3 hours today with the last at marathon pace."  See note to tselbs above.

deez4boyz I have only been to Maine a few times, but the summer there is gorgeous.  The lobsters are good too!

SteveP remind me not to have your relatives over for dinner!  Big party!

I skipped running today and worked out on the elliptical instead.  Figured I would try to get in some speed work tomorrow instead.  (Note to the various iron legged people around here, there is this easy day prior to a hard one idea that has been floating around.  I am not sure you want to risk injury by trying it but just a thought.  How do you guys do what you do?  )  About that hoarding stuff.  The gals here are not going to pin this all on the guys!  My DW hates to toss anything out!  I try to keep what I have to a minimum.  Really, you can purchase stuff if you happen to need it again five years later.

In happy news for me, for some reason those missing episodes on Dish Anywhere for Orphan Black reappeared!  So I got to watch season 1 episodes 5 and 6 during my last two elliptical sessions.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I love it that the mail carrier is a cat, too. 

My 2 Cairn Terriers are ridiculously friendly.  My brother, visiting from Virginia last year, was to show up in the middle of the night, so I left the front door unlocked.  He told me later that the dogs welcomed him into the house with wagging tails and friendly grins (no barking).  Terrible guard dogs that they are, I expect they led him to the valuables as well.    However, when that mailman comes and drops mail into the box outside the front door, those dogs just go crazy, snarling and barking wildly. What is it about mailmen?

Erika - nice run!

Wildchild - stunningly beautiful!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai - so sorry about the loss of homes for so many!  Keeping all of you in my prayers!

Carolyn - so beautiful -- amazing how you can just get out so casually and throw down 27  miles!!

Amy - you are one tough cookie!!  marathon, red eye and work!!

Tet - looking forward to your pictures!

TwoCat - Maine is really beautiful!  I am enjoying my summer days up there to the fullest and yes the lobsters are good!

Ribs - congrats to you and the Saint - great pictures!!

erika - great run!! why the no fuel approach for 20 miles?

7.4 miles for me today -- 1 miles warm-up, 5 tempo miles between 8:34 and 8:24/mile then cool-down.

Had a great weekend - really spent some solid time with my dh and my mom - such a gift!!

Still need to work on a training plan for Philly ....this weekend have Beach to Beacon10k in Cape Elizabeth, Maine -- haven't seen Bob aka Mainerunnah in awhile, but I would be very surprised if I don't see him running or volunteering at these next 2 races I have scheduled.

denise

mrrun

My 2 Cairn Terriers are ridiculously friendly.  My brother, visiting from Virginia last year, was to show up in the middle of the night, so I left the front door unlocked.  He told me later that the dogs welcomed him into the house with wagging tails and friendly grins (no barking).  Terrible guard dogs that they are, I expect they led him to the valuables as well.    However, when that mailman comes and drops mail into the box outside the front door, those dogs just go crazy, snarling and barking wildly. What is it about mailmen?

mailman come every day, try to get in, can't and then try again the next day.  all of my dogs have always gone crazy.  one time i was outside with the dog and the mailman couldn't believe how small she was (about 25 lbs).  ...overall feed her anything and she was your friend for life!

evanflein

Deez, the running with no or minimal nutrition/hydration is a way to get your body used to that so when you do run your race, and get extra nutrition/hydration, you respond with extra oomph. I've done it before, out of laziness more than anything (not bringing or stashing supplies) and it seemed to work well. Dehydration training is getting more press these days, and there's more research and study behind it. Or at least, runners and trainers are observing and noticing results. I'm definitely not scientific about it, but figured a somewhat cool overcast day and a long run was a perfect recipe to give it a try. No harm done, and I had a good run!

Today was 5.6 miles sort of progressive pace style out on the resurfaced trail behind campus. It's an interesting running surface, sort of hard to judge the high/low spots (like poor depth perception in the winter on snow, almost), so there are a couple of "stumble spots." But overall it's pretty nice, and good to be out of the mud from the prior dirt surface. I just hope they don't pave it.

We used to have a cat who growled whenever the doorbell rang or someone knocked. Sure miss her....

Evan, correct me if I am wrong, but did you say you did 20 miles at about 8:19 pace??  You go GIRRRLLL!!!

Won't comment on Wildchild's 27-miler......that's just typical for the wonderultragoddess!

Nancy....continued prayers.....

Twocat, that commercial does sound funny.

Dogs....I believe they go berserk at the postman or especially in my case any delivery truck guy (UPS, FedEx), because, they can never actually get to smell them!   I noticed the other day, that my dog that used to go berserk at the window watching my elderly neighbor putter about his yard, now runs out to his property (if he forgets to get into the car first), and hangs out with the elderly neighbor, not making any noise.  Remi is loud, territorial, and once he gets a sniff or two (where is the food?) and the person just ignores him, couldn't care less about the person.  They are entirely motivated by food.  Once they realize you either don't have any, or you are not going to interfere with their food supply (threat to their owner), they are indifferent.

Rest day and back at work.

Still trying to figure out how to get my Garmin Ant agent to work again after major computer issues.  Manually entering my data for now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I ain't got nothin'.  Just sayin' hi.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Deez, the running with no or minimal nutrition/hydration is a way to get your body used to that so when you do run your race, and get extra nutrition/hydration, you respond with extra oomph. I've done it before, out of laziness more than anything (not bringing or stashing supplies) and it seemed to work well. Dehydration training is getting more press these days, and there's more research and study behind it. Or at least, runners and trainers are observing and noticing results. I'm definitely not scientific about it, but figured a somewhat cool overcast day and a long run was a perfect recipe to give it a try. No harm done, and I had a good run!

When one of the Ironman Hawaii elites was espousing nutrition deprivation training and racing 15-20 years ago. I thought it was a great idea too but I found hunger to be too incompatible with my running and life styles. .However, some of the older elites from that era and before seem to have embraced it to an extreme, almost appearing as if they have no biceps.
                    So the lost dog plot thickens as I run into a high school classmate from those days and find out that her daughter is the one who found DD's   ig malemute Klondike and, after posting him on Facebook, got a message from my DD’s friend saying it might be owned by DD who the finder knows as well as I knew her mother in high school days.  I guess she and FB saved me at least $100 and lots more trouble vs/ if he’d been taken to the pound as in the pre-internet days, not that I would have done anything that then though. whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Poor pooch. Thank you Dave.

Call it "Old School Planking" Stumpy. It sounds hardcore.

You and others in your area are in my thoughts and prayers daily, Nancy.

You're a tough cookie TomS

Glad you got the dog back, Tet.

DW, the dog and I put in a few miles after work.

SteveP