Masters Running

Wednesday Daily, 2.20.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats on grandkid #3, Jlynne - greta news!

I enjoyed everyone's comments about Amy, including Mike's.

Henrun, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can (sometimes) walk faster than I run.

We had 2 couples (including 2 chefs) over for paella with rabbit, locally-made sausage, lobster (local also), shrimp, rice and veggies. Everyone pitched in in the kitchen, and we sure made a right-tasty meal!

Just some stretching and exercises for me today, and going for another treatment later this morning. I've given up my standing desk, since standing all day really aggravates my hip/glutes, etc., etc. I feel sorry for DW when I have to skip my workouts for an extended period - I tend to get a bit grouchy, despite my best efforts to not do that.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I feel sorry for DW when I have to skip my workouts for an extended period - I tend to get a bit grouchy, despite my best efforts to not do that.

Jay

+1   Yesterday, DH found out that he has to have surgery to repair a full tear in his left rotator cuff (had the right one done last year). Right before the start of golf season.  I've been kind of bi%#@y lately but I think he's going to give me a run for my money.  After the PT's suggestion, I'm going to see the doctor who did my back surgery this Friday. Hoping for good news.

Those pictures of Amy brought back some pleasant memories. <Grins>

OM - you're running so well. Take a day and run for me, ok? Glad you got into Chicago.

Carolyn - enjoy the time off and good luck with the resumes.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

wildchild

Carolyn

Here are Jeanne's pictures of her beautiful family!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...awwwww.........what Beautiful Children.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Congrats jlynne on the new baby in the family!

In fact, all the pics are great.  Loved the Omaha shot.  Young Riblet is 16 now and towers over the Saint, has his drivers license and a job at a supermarket.

RP and I went out in the sleet and did just over 2.  It's taper week so I didn't care what I did and we quit early.

Thanks for the feedback all.  Goal is to break 5:10 I think.  The fact is, no one knows how he or she will do until halfway through the race. In marathons I used to know by ten miles. I think it will be like that on Sunday.   Spareribs

...oh, ps........has anyone ever tried ''Total Rest''????........this is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to let your body Rest and Recover......

(as suggested by the Arthritis Foundation)

we live in a country where most of the Population drives to the mailbox,

and

I feel Guilty for missing a single work-out

not to mention a whole Week of them.................Strange

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Congrats Jlynne.

This should be a fun new experience for you, Ribs!

Had to cut today's planned run short as I got a late start.  But I still got 9.1 MP-ish miles in.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't know, Jeanne--men are usually such good patients.  Not.  Hoping for good news, too.

another 5.2 this morning, a bit more leisurely than yesterday (9:45) due to both design and black ice.  even though the air temp was 34°, anywhere there was seepage after yesterday's rain, there was a good chance that it was frozen.  had to pay close attention and tiptoe through and/or around a number of places.

Wlecome back, Jay.  sorry that there's still things keeping you off the roads.  Sounds like you're able to keep your strength up, though.  yummy sounding dinner.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Goal is to break 5:10 I think.

I’ll have to go along with a 5:10:00 for ribs too, especially since it’d be slower than one of my own better 50K’s (5:09:52). However, that was back in those days when runnin’ was easy (1986). Fortunately, it’s always been fun.

However, after your 30-40 years or more of competitive marathons and below, it takes a lot of guts to take on an ultra-distance .  Maybe it’ll be a good influence on another marathon purist we admire so much too.  <<<(aamos)>>>

...oh, ps........has anyone ever tried ''Total Rest''????..

Tom - I got switched on the back too much for it to count as rest when I went to a Zen temple once.

Maybe not running since 1/12/13 might count.

Happy grandma jeanne

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Another 4.25 treadmill miles.  I question my sanity because I am enjoying the treadmill. Either insanity or just tired of bundling up to run on icy roads.

Congratulations jlynne!

Ribs - Good luck on breaking 5:09:52. You can do it.

King of PhotoShop

Good job on the sub 5:10 Tet.  Was that a road  or trail 50K?  Either way, it's a good effort.  The fast guy I ran with on Monday has a goal of breaking 3:10 in this race.  His plan is to run 6's the whole way.  I just can't imagine.  Spareribs

Dave59

Good job on the sub 5:10 Tet.  Was that a road  or trail 50K?  Either way, it's a good effort.  The fast guy I ran with on Monday has a goal of breaking 3:10 in this race.  His plan is to run 6's the whole way.  I just can't imagine.  Spareribs

Based on what I've seen about ultras here on this forum, comparing one 50k time to another is pretty irrelevant.  I was just joking about beating Tet's time.

It's hard to comprehend how people run so fast for so long.  The JFK-50 (miles) winner averaged 7:00 miles.  (Only the first 15 miles are on trails.)

wildchild

Carolyn

we live in a country where most of the Population drives to the mailbox,

and

I feel Guilty for missing a single work-out

not to mention a whole Week of them.................Strange

Hey - I drive to the mailbox... are you calling me lazy?  Joking  It's almost two miles from the house, out at the highway.   I bet a lot of rural Americans still have mailboxes out at the highway, or they have PO boxes in town.

I'm also training for my first 50k race.  Since I only ran sub- 5:10 at two of my 6 marathons so far, I'm thinking anything sub-7 hours will be great!   Of course my 50k is on trails with 6,000 ft net elevation gain.  I'm guessing Cowtown is flatter.  Good luck to you, Ribs, and to your speedy friend.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Whoops, what am I doing here?

Compared to 5:09:52 on pavement around the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in 1986 when I was 43yo, it took more than twice as long (12:00:56) 26 years later for 50K in the hilly trail Carkeek 12-hour course last October. Doesn’t matter as they were both fun and good exercise.

However, nothing can compare to the thrill of taking on any such distance for the first time when you don’t really know what’s going to be happening along the way.  Good luck wild and ribs and anyone else who dares. Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Carolyn, at least you won't have to drive all that way on Saturdays any more. I too enjoyed the pics of aamos. Makes me realize how long we've been on these forums.

Wow, I feel like I've been away forever, although it's true I've been running less the last few weeks and posting even less than that! Somehow, the winter weather has gotten to me more than it ever has (another sign of aging, maybe?), and I'm really tired of feeling cold. Then we had to cancel our planned trip to a warm-weather location due to a family health issue, so April can't come too soon for me (not that it's that warm in April either).

At our club run on Saturday, I "discovered" that it's not a good idea to start out with someone 25 years younger who is also already warmed up, even if she did just have a baby a couple months ago. I kept up for about a half mile anyway... Roll eyes At least I wasn't the only one who couldn't keep up!

This morning I ran 3.1 miles from home in a breezy 19F and cloudy skies. It paid to be dressed for it though, and the temperature wasn't a factor.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"