Masters Running

Bellingham Boomer Fun, and my first marathon (Read 334 times)

jura, it's nice to catch up with you after not hearing anything for so long. I'm so glad you persevered and triumphed in your marathon. Maybe I should check out an ART chiropractor myself. I would just like to say, there is more to running than marathons, even though the masters runners here often seem to focus on marathons. Maybe you could be just as happy, or even happier, running half-marathons or 10Ks or 5Ks. Just as we differ in our job preferences and our choice of books to read, et cetera, we are not all designed to run the same distances equally well. Dark Horse
    I hear you, DH and I agree with you 100%. Running a marathon is not what makes a runner, and one is not less of a runner if he/she never ran a marathon... A friend of mine told me back when I started with my quest to run one if that's what I wanted to do and see if I even liked it. This idea stuck with me, it was a reminder that this distance was a choice, a preference rather than a requirement to enter some sort of elite club... On the other hand I had to run one to find out what it felt like, and I have to tell you, that I loved it! I definitely want to run more in the future, not because I feel like I have to in order to be considered a serious runner, but because I loved the experience. That's the only good reason to run them, I think. Cool
    evanflein

Jura, I couldn't have said it better myself! I like races of different distances, but the marathon is my favorite. As my husband had engraved on my license plate holder... "26.2.... Nothing Less Will Do!"
        Nicely put Dark Horse......Almost 2 years of running for me and I STILL haven't even done a half. Very soon though, I can feel it! Jura, what a great story behind your marathon. Congrats to you on an awesome race. Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        SteveP

Jura, Well done on you marathon!!!Your hard work paid off in full. You have a lot to be proud of. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Jura, thanks for posting your RR here. I love reading the RRs. Preparation, determination and pesistence is what stands out in your story. You set your sights on a goal and perservered (sp?) through injuries with determination that you were going to get it done. Nicely done.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            dg.

Jura, I'm so glad you posted this here! I was thinking about e-mailing you, I think I still have your address. Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you! I do remember when you weren't able to run Bellingham in 2007, & how hard it was. I also remember a lot of what you've gone through since then. What a great tale of perseverence. With such happy results. Thanks so much for you report. Not only is it really encouraging, there's also much in there to help anyone else in similar circumstances. It must have taken a lot of effort to put this together. After you have a breather (!) and if you are so inclined, I'd be very interested in some of things you and your coach came up with for your pre/during/post run routines. Great job, you did it, & you did it well! Big grin It's wonderful to hear from you.

Renee the dog

Awesome read! Congratulations!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Jura - congratulations! Yours is a story of heart and determination. This running thing seems to come easy to some people and they post amazing accomplishments. But then there are those of us who really struggle, and it is a different kind of accomplishment. Your story also gives credence to the concept that each of us must find the right training approach for us as individuals. There are really no formulas, especially as we get a bit older. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer to figure out what is going to work. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I smiled all the way through your report.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

nowor

Jura, You did great. I was on the edge of my seat reading your report. From injured to conquoring confident athlete. Your RR has many lessons. Your determination and stick-to-it-ness is remarkable.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jura, Excellent report! No aches and pains after a marathon says a lot about your great training. Congratulations, marathoner!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."