Masters Running

Wednesday is the new Tuesday, 9.9.15 (Read 32 times)

No Wednesday thread yet? What's up with that?

It's not so much that I don't like warm weather, folks, but I really wilt in hot & humid weather, which we've having for the last couple of weeks. So today it was still humid, but a good bit cooler, and I felt much sproinkier on my 5-mile run out and back on the nearby rail-trail at a 10:30 average pace.

During the run, I encountered a friend who is a very serious triathlete, competing in USATF type events. Since I've only seen him walking lately while his wife is running, I stopped to chat and see what was up. Turns out that he has arthritis in one hip that is really hindering him and he told me about a couple of fairly radical regenerative therapies that he's considering. I could see that he's really concerned that this could be a career-ender, as he is not one to go out there unless he has a chance of winning. It's something that a lot of us are bound to face someday, and I really felt bad for him.

Now will someone else show up and post something here?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

4.3, slow and steady.  My legs are still tired.

Guess what?  It is Wednesday, which means Date Night!!!  

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

I conferred with Enke this morning and we agreed on 4.3 miles today so that's what I did also.  Rained like crazy early so I came back home, then went out again and instead of the planned 11, I just did the 4.  Very humid, although like Roch, the temps were okay, about 78 degrees.

Conf calls today.  Spareribs

evanflein

Well I checked this morning (which would be almost afternoon for a lot of you) and saw there was no thread, and decided to come back later. Glad someone in an earlier time zone eventually posted.

That's too bad about your friend, Roch. Getting old does suck but it beats the alternative. We just all have to find and adapt to a "new normal" (as much as I don't like that term) as we age. Finding something to keep us going is what's most important. And look at tomwhite! You just can't keep the truly active from doing what they want/need to do!

I'll run later, maybe some trail stuff, maybe around 5-6 miles. We'll see.

mrrun

I missed the 4.3 rule and biked about 15 instead - legs still hurting/tired from w/e running.

and if we wonder why we are slowing down, there's an article in today's NY times - hopefully link works - why runners slow with age (doesn't mention HHH)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/why-runners-get-slower-with-age-and-how-strength-training-may-help/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Marathon Maniac #957

No run for me today, just a rest day.  I did spend quite a long time on the phone with the other side of the world trying to get my internet working again from about 5-6:15am....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...roch//.............Econo told me to take my ThermoTabs (buffered salt tabs) the evening BEFORE a hot run, it works quite well

also

V-8 Splash post run is WONDERFUL, you can actually FEEL the stuff kicking in

==========

but so far I haven't needed it..............90's and very humid

1-new PT session, got to add step-ups but not side ones til next session

3x15-min walks,

may goose it to 20-min this weekend>>>>>>>>ohboyohboy

A DIGRESSION-

Pickles informed me

last night

a portion of My Rear End seems to be missing

...lemme know

if this is a New Variation

on Organ Harvesting......

also

Gives New Meaning to  ''A Half A$$ed'' work-out

.....................good running guys.....................try to get home with All Your Body Parts........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Afternoon all.  Good running and training everyone.

No running all week so far for me.  AT issues flared up after last Sunday's run so I am taking the hint and resting.  After all you can only hit that 2 by 4 with your head so many times, right. 

So this week only core exercises, stretching, and using rollers on leg muscles.  I was going to do some bicycling this week but weather and lack of sleep the past few nights have been non-motivational factors.

Good news is I am improving and the AT are both loosing up.  Fortunately I didn't ignore too long or got lucky since no apparent bumps or lumps or areas of focus pain on tendons. Just stiffness/tightness when running/walking making gait awkward and the usual discomfort.

The bad news is my next marathon may be in jeopardy since < 40 days out.  I liked it better when you could defer a race and reapply following year with credit.  I hate loosing the money but understand the race director side of things as well on this issue having friends who are RD's.  Hopefully if things continue to improve I can still do race as a training run.  We will see...

Happy Hump day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

...lemme know

if this is a New Variation

on Organ Harvesting......

So you've become an organ donor for the Kardashians?

3.8 drippy shorts miles this morning.  At the start, I was wondering why I had gone out, but by the end, it felt not half bad.  Did end up without a shirt at the end, but even that breeze didn't seem to be very cooling.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

<insert placeholdher>

I ran 1.5 miles before MrStarr came to warn me about bad weather (I even checked the weather, twocat!). I got wet in the driveway though.

I am off to run another 2.8 to join the 4.3 club.  Be right back.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

So you've become an organ donor for the Kardashians?

Ba-dump-bump! <snork!>

tomwhite, that's an interesting side effect of hip surgery, haven't heard that one before!

Marj, my former boss sent me that article too, with the note that he never thought it would happen to him. Ha!

7.1 trail miles today in IRC with plenty of sun and temps around 60. The trail was in really good shape except for a couple of wet spots in the first two miles. It would seem the wood chips and shavings put down to control the mud/cover some roots actually hold the moisture so its the last part to dry out.

stumpy77 cute.

StarrRuns you checked the weather but apparently not closely enough!  A violation of the running rules is a violation you know.  "No running in the rain!" ©

Couch potato day 2!  Who knows I could get used to this.    Well maybe not.  Another 2 today was for car repairs.  First my DW's car had a warning light go off.  That went in.  Turned out the computer module that controls the car in slippery conditions blew.  Also turns out said computer modules are not cheap!   Then my toy car (that I commute to work in over the summer) shorted out while at work.  None of the exterior lights would shut off.  One jump and a drive to the repair shop later it turned out to be the battery and some wiring.  That plus I told them to look at why the brakes where squeaking.  This, at least, turned out to be a relatively low cost repair.  Now more more car to go.  The last one has a maintenance warning light that just went off.  I wonder how much that will run.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Stumpy - too funny!

Holly – I feel your pain being on the phone with IP tech support, ugh! I am sure you were multi-tasking though. Hope you have greta weather for the camping/race trip this weekend.

Tet – How long are you gone to Japan for this time? Any marathon plans? Oh, we did see the 5K trail up and down the mountain at Seward. Wow, too steep for me! Someone told us that there were 40,000 people that came over the 4th of July.

MikeE – do you have that Dr. appointment made yet?

Twocat – I did check the weather, but the storm was supposed to go EAST -- in IOWA, not NE to MN. MrStarr actually came out twice, once to warn me and another to say that hail is expected. I sure hope your couch potato plan does the trick for your ab strain.

Mariposai – I hope you have a grand time. Enjoy.

Erika - I'll keep my fingers crossed for dry weather. I think cold might be a given, but you should know better than me what is normal.

Rochrunner – I have slowed down too, and I was never fast and competing isn't that important to me at all.  I think I need to just do more cross training at the gym, spin classes and the pool. I have been neglecting that for too long. Plus, I get $20 credit every month if I go 12 times. People even call them to log them in if the run or walk outside but I never would do that.

Well, I went out to finish my run after the weather cleared, I did get a few sprinkles but they were welcome. I thought I only ended up with 4 miles total, plus I see Ribs went out for another 4 miles and I am certainly not going to do that! My foot still hurts every single step which is disappointing. I suppose the joint is just the way it is.

MrStarr broke a tooth on the way to the airport but luckily it didn't bother him while we were gone. Now he's getting a crown. Just now, I broke a tooth so I guess we don't get any more vacations for a while!  Ouch!

That’s it for now, gotta go clean the house before the cleaning lady comes tomorrow. Well, pick up stuff anyway.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

C-R

Bummer on the crowns Star..

Didn't get the 4.3 memo so I went 6.2 at lunch. Drizzle and lower temps. Very happy.

40 days is a long time shadow so perhaps the marathon is still within reach with adjusted goals.

I had no idea the Karashians needed organs. Glad someone is helping out.

On a side note, I've been watching a show called Hell on Wheels from AMC via Netflix. Excellent show and highly recommend it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/