Masters Running

Sunday Trails (Read 481 times)

C-R

Hey wake up everyone. 11 and a half this morning with some good buds on trails. Wonderful sunrise.

Highlight of the run was seeing a fawn and a year old buck with some very fuzzy antlers.

Make it a great one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

What a fun race batman, the Avenger Dog and Noah had! Great pictures too!.

C_R Cool fawn sighting. I saw one yesterday too. They are rather cute, aren't they?

I am still in post marathon recovery mode around here. 4.5 easy miles with my DH. The H&H makes me so glad that I had to go only for a short run today. I was dripping wet at the end of the run. On the way  from the run we noticed that Tiffany mountain is without snow now (a sign that the snow has melted from the back country), so I think we are going to try to hike/climb it today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great report and photos yesterday, SteveP!  I think you and Posie are tied as to who has the most fun in their races every single time.

Opted to take today off.  It'll be a true rest day, except for getting my stuff together for my trip.  I slept in and my whole body is thanking me.

Forgot to mention that yesterday about 3 miles into my run, I saw my first bobcat.  He was trotting down the logging road like he had absolutely no worries in the world.  I followed him for probably 3-4 minutes before I started slowly jogging again, at which point he heard me and just trotted into the trees.

Okay - I need to go feed this bod.  Have a great Sunday -

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey, I ran trails today too! Drove about 45 minutes away to a state park that's notorious for its hills and winding trails where runners could get lost... luckily we had an excellent map reader in our crew and we did just fine. 15 miles on tired legs from yesterday's 5k, and I'm hungry now too!

Mike E

MM #5615

You know, OM, if you're not careful, you're going to become a pretty good runner...

Marathon Maniac #957

What a fun race batman, the Avenger Dog and Noah had! Great pictures too!.

I agree!

20 miles for me today in temps that started somewhere in the mid 70's, hotter after the sun came up.  After about 12 miles I ran into a friend, the father of one of DS' friends, and we ran the next 4 miles together before he turned off.  He is a much faster runner than I am, and we ran those miles at about BQ MP for me (8:57-9ish), and that was with him slowing his pace so I could keep up.  Made for a good LR for me though, putting some quality in that I wouldn't have otherwise. I need to find faster runners to run with more often.  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sunday (7/22/12): - tetsujin: 10K in a 5K.
                Having been born there some time ago, or as in this year’s musical Star Wars birthday card from my son, “a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, . . . you were born!”, the daunting one-mile up/down hill has made the Swedish Hospital SumerRun 10K a favorite forced fitness run for more than a dozen years. 
                Certainly no need for me to check the event web page but, with other issues necessitating DOR registration for this year’s edition, I was deeply shocked and disappointed to learn that the 10K had been eliminated so the measly 5K on the top of Capitol Hill missed the one-mile cruise down the other side overlooking the UW and the struggle back up by Volunteer Park where a little me was taken to play in the grass back then.  I still do. However, I just couldn't stop myself and felt compelled to break away at the 5K turnaround and honor the extra 10K miles I loved so much. I'm used to last places but didn't think the inevitable one-hour 5K would emerge so soon in my running career..

Splits:
                1 mile - 11:00
                2 mile - 48:00
                3.1 mile - 12:00

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

You know, OM, if you're not careful, you're going to become a pretty good runner...

...you got that right.........

==============

...............90min poolrunning and Claire chasing,,,,,,,,,,,,Lord, that kid can GO FOREVER///////////////

and

it was WONDERFUL

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Oh Tet, that was my first 10K, the Swedish SwelteRun.  At least on that day it was sweltering.  I had bathroom issues and was looking for a port-a-potty, thinking surely at halfway there would be one, but noooooo, so it was a long 5K back up that hill and finally across the finish line.  I think my pace was 11:11 or something.

I did trails too!  I was hoping for 5 or 6 miles, since technically my 8 yesterday was my long run, but at mile 5 I realized that if I ran only 2 more, I would hit 30 miles for the week, a number I haven't see this year.  I felt really good the whole way, got lost again, and ended up with 7.4 miles, starving hungry but no worse for the wear.

After a two month slump in April and May, when I was averaging only between 4 and 8 miles a week (not kidding - mojo issues and foot issues), my past weekly mileages have been: 4.4, 15, 12.3, 18.3, 20, 15.5, 30.   I feel good so I am going to shoot for 25-27 next week.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay Enke!  Glad the mojo is back and the foot is behaving.

Tomwhite - nice Claire chasing!   I don't think we've seen a picture of her lately - I'm sure she's getting big!

Leslie - you saw a bobcat and you FOLLOWED IT?  What were you thinking?  I'd run the other way.

Congrats on a nice 20 miler, Holly!  Post a picture of your kitchen with the new paint job!

Tet - interesting race strategy.

Well, I did a trail run too today, but I guess that's not really news.  11 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  I was looking up at the divide, and I saw where I ran yesterday.  I put an arrow pointing to Devil's Thumb:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I did trails too!  I was hoping for 5 or 6 miles, since technically my 8 yesterday was my long run, but at mile 5 I realized that if I ran only 2 more, I would hit 30 miles for the week, a number I haven't see this year.  I felt really good the whole way, got lost again, and ended up with 7.4 miles, starving hungry but no worse for the wear.

Sweet!

TomWhite - Claireruns are awesome!

Carolyn - I never get tired of those pictures....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Cool picture, Carolyn. I love the vast expanses of your area. Reminds me of here a lot (but your trees are usually bigger).

Nice run, Holly. Always good to have someone push you a little bit. And yeah, pictures of the paint job!

Sweet run, OM. And I think you've been a pretty good runner for awhile now. 

Wow, lots of good runs around here lately. I haven't posted much, but I did read the last couple of days' worth of stuff.

Tetsujin, I don't know anyone else who would do that, but coming from you it somehow isn't surprising. Way to keep the old tradition alive.

I ran trails too. (warning: race report in the daily) Half my race is on old mining and four-wheeler trails. We've had rain for the last week, and more last night. What a mess. The puddles were hugh and where there weren't actual puddles, there was mud or running water. Actually, it was really in better shape in a lot of places than I thought it would be, but miles 3 thru 7 were a real mess. I think some runners ran right thru the puddles, but most negotiated makeshift trails thru the woods to get around. This added quite a bit of time. The women's winner ran 2:03 something, which is only 6 minutes off my PR time for this, so you can tell the whole field was slowed down.

No rain (yay!) and the sun came out so it got a little warm at the end. The worst part was the beginning: we are bused to the start in old school buses, and one of them broke down today. Then the relief bus went to the wrong location many  miles away. What a mess. There are supposed to be 2 starts (8 a.m. and 9 a.m.), but we did an 8:15, a 9:41 and a 10:06. Amazing that the timing group could keep it all straight. On the trip to the start, they had us all write our names and bib #'s so they'd know who started at 9:41. The early starters had all signed up for that, so they knew who they were. It worked well. 

I had no legs though. Dance practice the last couple of days has been on dips and the finish, where I go down face up, supported by one bent leg. To get out of it, I use quads to get upright. Do 10 or so of those, including dips, then run a hilly trail race the next day. Oy. I was a hurtin unit, for sure. Still managed to blast past three women on the way down the big hill, and was only "re-passed" by one of them. Ended with 2:22 something, first in AG, and 8th woman overall. That works. But man my legs are toast.

Mariposai

Way to race Erika, with tired legs. It seems like you and your DH are having a blast in your dance classes. Doing a dip, runner or not is always very taxing on the quads! When is the performance?

Wildchild, lovely pictures as always!

OrangeMat, look at you conquering those miles on tired legs!

Well, we never made it out to the woods for hiking. I was doing this and that and got sidetracked and by the time I looked at the clock it was just too late for a hike, ohh well...the mountain is not going anywhere and there is always next week. Anyway, I did ventured on a 10 miles bike ride in the afternoon.  Ohh what a difference a good bike seat makes! (Thanks taper boy).

Now it is time to BBQ some burgers, veggies kobos and corn. yummie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Nancy, the competition is a fund raiser for the high school ballroom dance team, held at the Fair on Aug. 10. My partner is the son of a co-worker. He comes to our building at lunchtime on weekdays so we can run through it for 30 minutes or so, and there are group practices (so we can get help from the coach) on alternating Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Then my partner and I get together other times, like Friday on the day I took off from work, and yesterday morning, to practice. Some people pick this stuff up pretty quickly. I am NOT one of those and need lots of practice!

Erika's dancing and still killing the trails

OM's becoming a trail runner

Tet's doing interesting things in his race, as always

Claire is keeping Grampa busy

Carolyn's posting even more beautiful pics

What a great group!

Carolyn - The bobcat was far enough away from me that I never felt threatened.  He was moseying along, doing his own thing, without a care in the world.  It was pretty neat to watch him.

After 4 (5?) years, we finally have steps off our deck.  Yea!  Shorty's not great carpenter, but dang it, he did a nice job!

Now I'm looking for Mr. Mr. so I can go to bed.  That cat drives me crazy. Evil

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance