Masters Running

Monday Jan. 21 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 690 times)

spacityrunner

A frosty 25F with feels like 12F at 10:30 this a.m. and I decide I need to go for a run. Big grin If you all can do it...then by gosh, so can I. Wait, wasn't my ankle cranky yesterday? Ummm...yep. But it felt good this a.m. so I says...I'll just go for a little one...2 miles or so. (perch did it, so can i Wink) Everything felt so good, that I went out and stomped it for 3 miles. I sure do hope I don't pay for it tomorrow. 3ish in 37ish for a 12 m/m. SWEET! Splits: 12:46, 12:08, and 11:34. The last .08 was at 9:59. Wow! Well, now I will for sure have something to chat with the sports doc with on Wednesday. It will either be: it hurts and this is why, or look what I can do now Big grin Big grin Big grin You are all an inspiration to me...thanks Enjoy the day.....

Trails Rock!

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 9:11 mile pace. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        PDR – only 3 days off work in 6 weeks? I would be going bonkers.
        Or more importantly: how does this affect me?? Big grin < just="" kidding,="" pdr="" />

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

jules2

Holly, you call it x training it sounds more like torture to me, "a weighted duck squat"? I don't think I could squat with a normal duck let alone a weighted one. Anway a funny kind of day, cycling to work this morning a car got right behind me sounded his horn and then seemed to try to get as close as possible to me as he went by. He had to stop at a red light further up so I tapped his roof and entered into negociations. He felt I shouldn't be on the road, I felt he was a t**t and shouldn't be allowed to drive. We agreed to differ and I carried on to work leaving him stuck in a traffic jam.. Tonight on the way home I came onto the only traffic island on the route and a van had pulled out about six foot into the island at the next junction ( intersection?) he was in the furthest of two lanes so I had the choice off stopping in the middle of the island with traffic coming from my left or pulling out into the island to get round him. I chose the latter course of action and established eye to eye contact with him so he didn't run me over when I went in front of him. As I went in front I attacked his bonnet ( hood ) a bit and in case he tried to retaliate bunny hopped onto the pavement ( sidewalk) Its really warm in dear old blighty but raining all the time. My ark project is on hold as when I came in from my run the Dwarf was watching the end of Bruce Almightly and I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew. After all that I ran 4.80 in 37.19 a slow time but it was very windy and I'm still recovering from Saturday, at least it wasn't raining until I got home and then it started pouring down.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Jules, I was amused by your post so clicked on your profile, and found out you live in Leicester. I was born there, though the family moved to Africa when I was 6 years old. We lived in a semi on Wakerley Rd. though I don't remember the number. I have a vague memory of there being undeveloped land at the end of the road, probably all built up now. My dad was a professor at University of Leicester, taught French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. He often rode to work by bicycle and sometimes took me to his office where I drew on scraps of paper at his desk. I would love to hear more about the place as I have only been back once, very briefly, in 1982! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jules - what is a traffic island? I assume of course that it is an intersection of roads, but a little unclear on why it is called an island.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Still, the Ice Bowl holds the record, -13 I think. And in those days they played without the high-tech warming methods the players have now.
                dear-old-dad was at that game. Yesterday at the nursing home, I was helping him to remember it. Bart Starr's last-second quarterback sneak was one of the most thrilling moments in Packer history. From Wikipedia: The Packers' final play was selected in a sideline conference between Starr and Lombardi. As reported in the book When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi, by David Maraniss (1999), the coach wanted to get the game over with, one way or another, before conditions became worse, rather than attempting a tying field goal. The field goal try was no certainty given the conditions; and if it were successful, it would have sent the game into a grueling overtime period. As reported in the Maraniss book and also in The Packers!, by Steve Cameron (1995), the called play was a handoff to Mercein. Starr decided, but did not tell anyone, that he would keep the ball and avoid the risk of a fumble. Following the touchdown, the Packers had to kick off to the Cowboys, but Dallas was unable to advance the ball in the few remaining seconds, and Green Bay had secured the victory.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

A traffic circle.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Traffic Island = traffic circle = rotary = . . . . .

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

bap

Traffic Island = traffic circle = rotary = . . . . .
                      A traffic island is a pedestrian refuge in the middle of a road. A traffic circle = a rotary = a roundabout. Not many people running in Central Park today. I assume that everyone has NFC Championship hangovers. 8 miles at 8:42 pace on tired legs, Average heart-rate 131 (73%). The last 2 miles were uphill at 7:59 and 7:55. Altogether this weekend, 24.6 miles at 8:56 pace, with an average heart-rate of 132. That's the furthest I've run on 3 successive days since the 2006 Chicago Marathon!!! Good runs everyone!

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

That's some really nice running BAP with really low HR. Nice to see you able to get out there again! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

jules2

Holly you show me a weighted duck squat and I'll show you a traffic island, seriously can someone tell me in simple terms how to post photographs onto messages my photo's are in Vista. How about if I call it a roundabout, its not a pedestrian refuge. How can I put this into American ? lets imagine the island is the wagon train and the traffic is the native Americans. Simon, nice to hear from you I was near Wakerley Road tonight but I have a date with a beer at the moment so I will come back to you. If you can get the number I will take a photo.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

BTY

Hi everybody - Happy MLK Day. Put the final touches on the laundry room this morning, started the first coat on the bathroom, and took a break at 3:00 for a nice easy 5 miles @ 9:50 pace*. 20F, Sunshine, very little breeze. IRC for January in the Albany area. *Something doesn't quiite jibe, and I think I may have run a little bit long before turning back at about 2.5 miles, b/c I don't think I really ran slower than 10:00 pace over mile 3 - every other one was ~ 9:20 - 9:40. But for easy running purposes, that's close enough. [nfl talk]DS#2 is a huge Patriots fan, and DS#3 is a huge Giants fan; I'm a Giants fan but not really a huge one. So it's going to be interesting in the bty household for the next two weeks (and beyond). [nfl talk off] Good runs every one. Brian

Manchild

Happ Martin Luther King day. I remember dropping my uncle off to hear/see the speach that day in 1963 in D.C. I was seven. Have fun with your daughters tonight Tall. Got home from work by 3:35 pm and was on the road by 3:50 pm with my partner. 25 degrees with a chilly breeze during our 4 mile trail run in the state forest. WMVY's "afternoon mind bender" today was: Name the tree grown nearly exclusively in Sri Lanka and India that has 2 cm berries. Wood is very dark, a piece of this tree's wood will sink in water. Name the tree. My running partner is an arborist, head of Polly Hill Arboretum, here on the Vineyard, knew it after three tries.... Chris
                                Charley, Thanks for the thoughts. Wanted to say how much I appreciate the good thoughts you and others have given me in the last few months. The girls and I just finished dinner, some nice Bolognese that I cooked up. They are doing homework while I do some emails. Very appreciate of your support. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently