Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 1 (Read 441 times)

Holy cow. You guys are really scaring me. Does anyone go through the change without any noticable symptoms? My mom was a little cranky when she was 50 something but she was more looney and senseless than cranky. I think I can handle the physical symptoms but I dont want to be psycho dwarf. Boredom kills my healthy eating habits. Here at work there is nothing going on so I snack. At home its no problem as I am always busy. But work is deadly lately. Over the holidays this place was insane. There were treats everywhere. The company HQ sent us the world's largest meat and chese package. Then there were treats from pilots and families. It was a chocolate fest. I think this Christmas we should tell the company to save thier money and not send food. Craneuim. Good suggestion. To keep the cerial boredom down I mix different cerials in the same bowl. My favorite so far is corn chex, wheat chex and rice chex with fruit. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

TammyinGP

The couple of pounds that I thought could not be for real last Thursday, are apparently for real, because each day I've been weighing, I've been getting about the same number on the scale. Which just boggles me because I did not feel like I've been eating too terribly much plus I ran almost 30 miles last week, so I was getting SOME exercise. Anyways, I decided today to log in my food for the day into fitday.com and get an idea of how many calories am I really consuming. Okay, that was totally disheartening. So far today, I've eaten a banana, a Clif Bar, a hardboiled egg, about 1.5 cups of steamed rice(nothing on it but a little salt), and a small drinkable yogurt (5.75 oz). That's it. I'm almost at 1000 calories just in that and I'm starving! Plus, I stil have dinner tonight and you figure that is easily around 600 with just having small portions. We are having grilled chicken, a veggie and probably a pasta something - which I guess I won't have. Roll eyes Dang, calories add up fast Cry

Tammy

evanflein

I know. It's the most frustrating thing. Even with trying to eat all healthy stuff and moderate portions, it's so easy to go overboard... or just really hard to cut back without feeling like you're starving. My teenage boys drive me crazy. Angry
        lswife

I'll join too. Goal by Easter - to lose 10 pounds. My danger time - from 3 to about 9pm. Also - regular running (I'm back on the C25K program after a year of fighting PF).
            I know. It's the most frustrating thing. Even with trying to eat all healthy stuff and moderate portions, it's so easy to go overboard... or just really hard to cut back without feeling like you're starving. Angry
            Have surgery, which will leave you bloated and constipated for a number of days, thereby making it almost impossible to eat. Works like a charm!Big grin

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

so I tried logging everything into fitday yesterday to get a picture of what my calories/carbs/protein, etc. look like. I had to guesstimate dinner. DH lightly breaded and pan fried chicken strips. Very tasty, but more cals than I probably should have had Roll eyes I had 1.5 strips, plus 2 cups plain steamed broc and a few french fries Roll eyes Roll eyes and a few of those damn choc chip cookies after dinner. Gotta get out of the habit of needing something sweet after dinner. It's just a psychological addiction right? Undecided Ok, fitday put me at 2300 cals, but I'm calling it 2500 because I figure there's always some hidden cals that I'm not guessing accurately on. And I went to bed hungry, but wasn't going to allow myself to eat more. I woke up hungry. Had a nutrigrain bar about 10:30 so far today. brought tuna to make myself a sandwich for my lunch, hardboiled egg, banana, apple, plus will get in about 1.5 hrs of cardio tonight after work. real frustrated with my lack of progress in losing weight. I dropped 30 lbs just like "that" when I was 30. (ok, nevermind a divorce was involved), but seriously, the weight practically melted off me. And now it's like squeezing blood from a turnip to get rid of 10 measily lbs - which must come off prior to June dangit!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm totally jealous, Tammy. That's what I eat on LR day. My maintenance intake on non-running days is somewhere around 1400-1500 calories. Talk about feeling deprived. You can't have my cookies. That's the only joy I get..... Angry

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Hey Tammy. I don't know if this is reproducable. BUT, I was having a devil of a time losting 10 lbs. two years back. While running... I got serious about getting all HF corn syrup out of my life. All of it, 'cept for what I might have had while at a restaurant. Those 10 went very quickly about 60 days after I was "clean." And they have remained off. So, I guess what my suggestion would be is to check your cookies -- and other items. Maybe your body would react like mine. BTW, I had the same diet you had at 30 at 31. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Yeah, I did that "how do you lose 180 lbs of ugly fat in a hurry?" "Get a divorce" thing back in 1987. Unfortunately, I was in a celebratory mood and gained weight! Tongue I find logging food on those online sites cumbersome... I just jot it down on a notepad, but get the same results as Tammy: things add up in a hurry! And I had to give up cookies a long time ago. I have no willpower or portion control with cookies. Sad
                    TammyinGP

it is cumbersome Erika and I know I won't keep it up because I seem to be taking as much time to try and find my foods, as I do eating them. But I'm just wanting to get an idea of how many cals I'm getting when I think I'm eating "healthy" and the breakdown of carbs vs protein because I think that is one of my problems - too many carbs. Even though I haven't eaten everything what I brought with me today, I went ahead and input all the food that I brought , and I have a breakdown of 50% carbs and about 25% protein , 25% fat. I think my protein grams are at 70 and am not really sure how many grams of protein I should be getting a day.? So, just based on what I put in so far, I'm at about 1300 calories and I know I'll want to eat something when I get home from the gym tonight. In fact, what I have left to eat today is a banana, apple and a hardboiled egg. And that needs to last me through my workout tonight and until I get home about 8 p.m. Cry sometimes i think it might be easier to go through another divorce Roll eyes . . . ok, that was a joke Wink I'll start paying attention to HFCS. If my cookies are homemade though, I wouldn't have any of that in there right? I don't eat store bought goodies - only homemade ones. this sux. Who's great idea was this anyway to try and lose some weight.? Tongue

Tammy

It's all Holly's fault. Big grin I can relate you guys - went through a divorce in 1995 and lost almost 15 pounds. Unfortunately, I put all of it back on. Stress either makes you lose your appetite, or you eat more to compensate for it. I don't even want to think about getting on a scale tomorrow after Fat Tuesday. I had 2 - count 'em - 2 glasses of wine, pot roast with potatoes and 3 peanut butter cookies for dessert. I even feel fat! Tomorrow will be brutal...

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in, either, since I'm hormonally challenged this week, and wasn't doing well beforehand, either. But I'm 3 days into it, so you'd think I might have lost some of the bloat.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Well I already know I'm going to forget about tomorrow's weigh in... Went out to dinner last night and I've been feeling hungry all day! I don't think tonight's 10 miler is going to help much either.