Masters Running

Compression discussion (Read 35 times)

BTY

Hi all. I've not been around the boards much in the past couple of years and am looking for your thoughts on compression socks and bands. My handheld device is useless for searching for threads here but if someone could direct me to an existing discussion I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm coming from a history of ITB, some Achilles issues (from running in the wrong shoes), and some hip issues that I'm addressing through a stretching regimen and core strengthening. I've heard that the compression accessories help with recovery and perhaps injury prevention. Your thoughts and anecdotal experiences?

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I used a knee band for a month or so for runner's knee'.   It seemed to help a little but that could be just a placebo effect.   I was also very cautious when running with it  and didn't push it too much on runs.  But the knee band got me through final weeks of marathon training.  I ditched it day of the marathon and haven't worn it since.

I also started sleeping with a compression knee brace which makes getting out of bed in the morning easier.  I noticed that when I sleep or lie down in bed, that I was hyper-extending knee and the knee would lock.  The knee brace seems to restrict it.  So for that purpose, I found it useful.

FYI it is one of those "copper" ones - which is hokum but the brace is really well made with a patella cushioning as well as thick padding/Lycra which compresses rest of knee.  I bought it because the ace one I used was not  working as well.  Also it was only $8.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

BTY

Interesting about sleeping with the knee compression - I was also thinking that when I travel by car for a few hours, the sleeve would be beneficial.

King of PhotoShop

It seems to me that much of the evidence is anecdotal, but I know people who swear that compression sleeves aid recovery, that they are essential for plane travel (doctors advise this by the way) and that their legs are "fresher" in every workout because they wear them.  I can't point you to a specific discussion, but I think "The Science of Sport" newsletter covered this topic once.  Try googling that site with compression sleeves.   Spareribs

BTY

Thank you General, I will.

King of PhotoShop

BTY, I just tried it and couldn't find it.  I know I've read a lot on this subject but can't put my finger on anything backed by evidence.  Let us know what you do find out.  May be an interesting discussion.   Spareribs

BTY

Hoping that isn't the end of the discussion for now, though; after all, I came here to find out your thoughts and experiences. If you haven't had any, I understand, though. Thought tomwhite might have test driven some, perhaps.

C-R

I started using compression sleeves for runs longer than 13 with good results. Up through last year I never used them and for me they make a difference during the race. Keeps things connected and circulation proper. I do not wear them after for recovery so no help from me there.

My wife has had to wear compression sleeves after having lymph nodes removed and the doctors were adamant. It does help prevent pooling so there is something to be said for this.

I don't have any documents and only recall a couple of discussion out in the main board.

Perhaps RW has some more on their board. I would suggest LetsRun but that place is the wild west.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hoping that isn't the end of the discussion for now, though; after all, I came here to find out your thoughts and experiences. If you haven't had any, I understand, though. Thought tomwhite might have test driven some, perhaps.

...sadly, you got that right.........here is one of my Favorite stores

http://www.braceshop.com/braces-and-supports.htm

I found the ''soccer braces'' actually better suited for me.

sorry to hear you're hurting...

.......my own personal HipBrace is Jerry-Rigged

with a shanked xl-knee brace wrapped with 3-6 foot long velcro straps.

........not available in stores.............probably for a good reason

hope it helps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....