Masters Running

Wednesday Daily 3.19.14 (Read 39 times)

dg.

Amy - I agree with Tet that a small hand-held would probably be sufficient with so many aid stations.   That is what I would bring.

Dg - I may have to come up there with some duct tape....

oh boy!   : D

hey Holly, I have 2 voyager seated scooters.  one for work, one for home.    we could have races!

and you would win so not much point but it would be fun  : - )

Hi folks, I am alive and well, or perhaps someone is impersonating me.

I see we are having the old Erika/Enke mix up again!

Think, Erika - ends in an A, for Alaska.

Think, Enke - ends in an E, for...........don't know

I haven't read all the threads, but sounds like dg - you messed your leg pretty bad  {{{}}}

I torqued (as Holly would say) my lower back last Friday just cleaning (happy vacation day) and it's not too bad, but I've been as nimble as a 95 year old since.  Actually today it feels almost all better, so I hope to run tonight.  Also, I haven't been getting much sleep, but slept well last night and think I might be mostly all caught up.  Yes, door#15 (I miscounted, I thought he was #14) has been distracting.

I am starting to think Ave of Giants is going to a PW for me, but a PB for the social aspect!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg - What did you do to your leg???

Amy - I agree with what Tet said.  With aid stations that close together, you won't need much, if you don't like carrying anything in your hand or you're worried about chafing with anything at the waist, there are simple packs that are specifically for carrying minimal items and a water bottle, although none of the vests are cheap.  And I'm betting that, if you don't want to carry something the whole, but just need something to drink out of the aid stations, you could carry two 'whatevers" with you, and then stash one at each station your first time through, and then it's there for each loop.

Did 8 miles yesterday with 9 fartleks thrown in.  Went much better than last week's same speed workout, but only about a minute faster.  I felt more in control, though, during the bursts of speed, so that's progress.  Today was a slow 3, followed by about 20 min of strength training and core.  If I'd gotten up earlier, I could've had a longer core/ST workout, but I am working overtime right now, and the sleep felt good.

I got a HUGE transcription job from the Public Defender's office that has to be done ASAP, which means I go home from work and type for about 2.5 to 3 hours then hit the hay, get up, work out, go to the work, go home and work, wash, rinse, repeat.  Two unfortunate things - (1) the transcription I'm working on of one of the interviewees - dude needs to learn how to enunciate!!  Makes me want to pull my hair out.  And I know his won't be the only hard one.  (2) The bad spot in my low back is really irritated from all the sitting.  Oh well!  Such is life!  At least I'm making money to support my running habit!!

Speaking of money - pulled out a pair of pants I haven't worn in probably 3 or 4 months, started ironing, something in the pocket, figured it was a tissue (as usual) - - $15!  Found my buy-in for Bonkos tomorrow night. Sweet!

Have a good one, Friends ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Hi folks, I am alive and well, or perhaps someone is impersonating me.

I see we are having the old Erika/Enke mix up again!

Think, Erika - ends in an A, for Alaska.

Think, Enke - ends in an E, for...........don't know

Funny... yeah, I don't mind being mixed up with you. Good company and all that, right?

I think Dg broke her leg skiing... or more like getting off the ski lift, right? I can sure empathize... I totally torqued (there's that word again!) my knee one year getting out of the car. Dumb.

Ultra Amy! How fun! And ditto what everyone else said about hydration. Travel light!

When I did that ballroom dance competition a couple years ago, there were some days my legs were so sore from practicing dips and things... oy. And then we had to do more of that right after the Gold Discovery Run, with it's four-mile pounding downhill finish to 16.5 miles of trails and roads. Yowza...

Dg, we usually have the icy thaw/freeze cycle every spring, but what's so tiresome this year is that we've had ice issues since the freezing rain last November. It's just everywhere. But now the areas that were "hardpack" are now "icepack" and while it warms up just enough to slick things up almost daily, it freezes again at night. Not overly unusual, just too much of a good thing this year. Tired of it.

We were supposed to get "up to an inch" of snow last night. Well, there was probably 3" of the fluffy stuff at our house, and more coming down all morning. I brought my running gear, but with all this unplowed (ha, or unswept) new snow over all that ice... I may take a pass. And going out to dinner tonight so no TM run after work. Oh well.

dg, I'm so sorry to hear about your fracture.  I have no advice but hope you find some sort of exercising you can do and that your recovery is rapid.  Holly, fantastic picture of you and your husband with henrun and marj.  Nice long run, mari.

This morning, the temperature was good, mid 30s but it was raining so I headed for the TM in the basement - again.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:52  pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Heading home from Ohio tomorrow morning. Good family time despite DD's med problems.We were able to get her to medical appointments since school and work occupied the rest of the family. Got in a couple of short runs in 50+ weather.

We really enjoyed our meet-up with Jim and Holly And looking forward (more than ever) to Avenue of the Giants.

pfriese

IBleedUnionBlue, I made it into the Marine Corps Marathon, too.

3.6 easy miles after work.

Paul

NHLA

7 miles 65 min sun came out.

Great pic Holly.

dg, so sorry about that broken leg, ouch! Hope you figure out a way to get in the pool and keep active.  Jay, I would really love to see you racewalk someday, it knocks my socks off how fast you are!  If I ever get to run with MikeE in the Twin Cities (Maple Grove, that is) he will have to run backwards so I can keep up, I am that slow.  Tammy, Brooklyn Park is about 10 minutes o..r less from Maple Grove, which is why we head there to shop.  That suburb has everything under the sun there.  I may need to take a road trip soon to get a grandma fix and maybe pick up a new road bike at Erik's.

Seeing Holly's photo with Henrun and Marj makes me wish I was going to the Ave of the Giants race too .  Getting there seemed a bit complicated so I didn't pursue it for very long. I did sign up for a race on June 1st so that is my goal for now.

Erika, the winter sure seems to drag on, but at least our roads are clear now.  It's nice to be able to run anywhere.

My new Garmin came this week and I used it last night and tonight with the HRM.  It works great and I love that it vibrates on the miles and when you stop and start. The wireless connection ANT is super simple.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Love Holly's meet-up pic with Henry and Marj!!

Worked Monday & Tuesday 12's so no runs, but went in for a special case today and bargained for a 10 hour day  instead of 12 so I was able to make it to track!!  We did 400m hill repeats again and they felt strong altho a tad slower than the last time we did them.  Our coach ran one with me (ended up being my fasted one) and said that was to be expected after running 20 on Sunday -- he also said he was pleased to see how strong I was running and that I was aerobically fit and ready for Boston .... funny I felt like one of the reindeer in Rudolph when they were complimented and said "I'm flying"!!!

Amazing how a little positive reinforcement can lift the spirits!!

You are all wonderful to me!!  Have a great sleep!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!   Just popping in real quick before bed.

Starr...I would love to run with you.  I don't care how fast we go.

Enke...glad you're okay.  I do, sometimes, have to stop and think about which of you is speaking...or writing...or whatever.

I did 10.3 tonight...nothing special.

dg...I wouldn't do the one-legged bike thing. I don't have any suggestions, though.   Do you have access to a rowing machine?  I wish I had a rowing machine.

Okay...I gotta get to sleep.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dg...I wouldn't do the one-legged bike thing. I don't have any suggestions, though.   Do you have access to a rowing machine?  I wish I had a rowing machine.

I think I'd like a rowing machine too.

However, the one-legged bicycle thing has been necessary

. . going up any hills since 2009 when my left knee went out.

Unfortunately, the only cycling I've been doing since then

. . has been 10-12 miles in an annual triathlon. oh well.

good luck. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

SteveP, thanks. me too Smile. How's your back?

It's really slowed me down. I've been a regular at a chiropractor's office. I get chewed out for not relaxing. I told her that I keep thinking of that song kids sing when snapping the tops off of dandelions. "Doctor had a patient and his head popped off". I do my best to trudge the road of happy destiny.

Is that 130 marathons this year for Amy?

The snow had become more like coarse wet sand. When I got home, Tag started his usual happy, bouncing dance. He started up a snow bank and began an all out run around the house. He slid a little through the snow. Then he started doing donuts around a piece of firewood he stole from the neighbors. It was fast enough to throw a rooster tail. After considering his behavior, we may get a fire place.

SteveP

MM #7877

Awesome!

IBleedUnionBlue, I made it into the Marine Corps Marathon, too.

3.6 easy miles after work.

Paul

Philippians 4:13.