Masters Running

3.29.13 Friday (yipee!) Daily (Read 42 times)

Dave59

A few of the treadmills at the gym I go to broke and they are going to try some of these curved, self propelled models.  They'll be there in a few weeks.

http://www.woodway.com/images/curve/curve_330.jpg

If you have time to kill there are some Youtube promotional videos to see them in action.

Speaking of the gym, I ran over there at lunch, worked out for 30 minutes, and ran back.  I took the shortest route possible (without going through people's back yards) which means only a 2-mile round trip.

I've been working long hours, 7 days a week, to meet a 4/1 project deadline.  I made it.  But it doesn't matter.  The "go live" was changed to 4/5 to coordinate the new software with our biggest client's check cycle.   They didn't want doctors and hospitals to get a mix of the old and new systems on one check run (which takes place every Thursday night.)  Gives me an extra week, but frankly, I'm glad to be done now.  Had I known about the extra week in advance, somehow I would probably still be trying to get everything finished next Thursday.

I could use a do-over on my kids but I have been told that is not an option.  They both are "good" kids (they don't torture small animals), finished college (one a masters), got jobs (sort of), but I did too much for them when they were growing up.  I worry about them being totally self-sufficient.  I should've been a little rougher on them.  Made them earn their own way more instead of paying for everything.   I never had anything as a kid and I was just happy to get them whatever they needed (and some things they didn't need.)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

wildchild did her very first marathon less than a year ago...now she has run--what-- 4 or 5--she became a Marathon Maniac...and now she's off to do a 50K! That's just....well...that's just wild.

Whatever it is, it's just plain awesome! As I keep saying, I've got some excellent role models here at RA, and I'm especially pleased that Carolyn's one that I've actually met in person finally! Have a most excellent race, Wildchild!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Congrats to PBJster #1! Engineering seems to be the up and coming field these days. It's rather cool, too, because these kids are studying how to build things that have yet to be invented. DS who's a junior at Univ of MD is studying mechanical engineering just landed a summer internship in his field, and we're very thrilled for him. The job is local to where we live, and pays quite well, so he's thrilled to be living at home this summer once again... and NOT having to deal with the little kids on the day camp bus where he'd been a counselor these past couple summers.

PCR today, and the assignment was 8 miles at 8:25 pace. With about a mile warmup and cooldown, total distance came to 10.2 miles, and these were the tempo miles: 8:19, 8:19, 8:17, 8:12, 8:11, 8:13, 8:21, 8:11. Tough workout and my HR was a bit higher than it's been in previous weeks, but it really didn't feel like I was working THAT much harder. Certainly not at 5k effort, but somewhere around 80-85%. All I kept thinking was, though, that I'm so grateful I don't have to run that fast for my marathon!

Have a good one, my friends. Smile

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks, guys (and gals)!   I did 6 marathons last  year -  I got my 2nd maniac star for doing 6 in 6 months (Flying Monkey was #6!)   I'm staying with by brother and his family this weekend in Portland for my first 50k, and I was just thinking that Mike and I stayed with my sister when I ran my first marathon last year!   Nice to combine races with family visits, even though they think I'm nuts. Posie - no one from RA that I know of will be there, but I'm meeting a FB running friend at the race.

The race website says "The distance is quite possibly not a full 50k, the map says it'll be 49k which is close enough in my book to still call it a 50k but last year folks got 28-30 miles on their GPS watches-- if the course is not exactly 50k and this will upset you please do not do the race."     Hmmm...  no, I'm okay with that!  Smile  Here's the elevation profile:

I like that it's at sea level but that 1600 ft climb (twice!) looks interesting!  The weather forecast looks excellent and it's springtime in Portland, with all the flowering trees in full bloom.  Nice to escape the snow for a weekend!  Oh, and there will be beer and pizza after the race!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

OM - sweet!

Carolyn - you could always run out and back a little if you want to add to your distance    Big grin   I find my Garmin is always off on trail races, especially those with lots of inclines and declines.  That looks like a beautiful and challenging race.  I wish I was running it with you!  I hope you have a blast!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I thought wildchild was the only one traveling this weekend.

I hope you have half as much fun ilene, . . . or maybe it's vice versa. Smile.

I ran 6 miles last night, I may not run after work tonight as I have to catch a plane

wildie - that's a beautiful course.  Let u s know how many river miles you get in addition to the 1,600' x 2 mountaineering start/finish. .

With regard to 49K50K, unless you are in contention for another AG win, maybe check your gremlin at the finish and, if it's 49K (and none of your other AG'ers are coming into view), double back for 0.5K to get a 50K time for comparison to future 50K's.Just tell everyone cheering in expectation of another spirited finish, "whoops, excuse me, I forgot something."  I think you'll love the extra 7.805K beyond the standard marathon distance.  Even though it wasn't trail run, even ribs did.  have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Woo...a Woodway Curve!  Alway wanted to try one of those.  Have fun, Dave.

Good luck with your 50K, Carolyn!  Looks like a fun finish!

Despite it being sunny and warm, there was still enough snow in the woods for one last XC ski.  Not idea conditions, but enjoyable none the less.  Finished off the day with garden bed clearing...... I have crocus, pulmonaria and colts foot in bloom!!!!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

wildchild good luck with your race.  About the distance being short.  I am super happy to hear you are okay with it.  But as to that RD, if it was advertised as a 50K then the RD should have made sure it was a 50K.  A last minute email about it being short and not doing it after people trained is not really acceptable in my book.

tetsujin209 you are way more forgiving than I am!

Tramps I knew it I just knew it.  Getting that Ph.D. was a really bad idea!  Cry

Dave59 cool looking device.  If you try it let us know how it goes.

PBJ fake your own death and have PBJster #1 apply for financial aid as an orphan.  Who knows a full scholarship might be in the cards!  Not into committing felonies?  Well then there is the mortgage everything option.  Good luck to PBJster #1 at Cornell.  It is a great place.  One of my best friends has worked there here whole career and just loves the school and Ithaca.

Opie nice piece in your running club's newsletter.  It really puts to shame what my local club does.

Ran yesterday so no run for me today.  Tomorrow I plan to do 20.  It is supposed to be a gorgeous day for it!  I did see my physical therapist for the first time in over two weeks today.  She thinks my ankle is healed up enough that she has resumed worrying about my hamstrings. So that is what was on tap for today.  That is actually good news!  Post run tomorrow I will get started on Easter dinner for my DW's family.  Having a two faith family means a lot of dinners during holiday weeks like this one!  So far the menu looks like onion soup to start.  Then a slow cooker roast pork, Brussels sprout slaw, asparagus Texas style (roasted and served with a fried egg on top, I know, just try it) and twice baked potatoes (some russet and some sweet).  Then bread pudding to finish.  Now I just have to cook it all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

The race website says "The distance is quite possibly not a full 50k, the map says it'll be 49k which is close enough in my book to still call it a 50k but last year folks got 28-30 miles on their GPS watches-- if the course is not exactly 50k and this will upset you please do not do the race."     Hmmm...  no, I'm okay with that!  Smile  Here's the elevation profile:

I wouldn't worry about it, wild.  Once you apply your theory of running relativity, you'll be well past 50K...

I skipped my run, today.  Mainly because I had to go deal with some more fallout from Eric's little adventure...he is being kicked out of his apartment.  Luckily, they agreed to let him stay until the end of April.  Anybody have an extra room for a very immature, selfish, but kindhearted, 20 year old?  He could, probably, get you some good connections, too...if you're into that kind of thing...

Okay--I'm feeling a little beat up, so I think I'll go drown my sorrows in a of couple beers.  See ya!  GOOD LUCK RACERS!

Maniac 505

Mike:  Sorry,  I'll crack a home brew for you.  batch one is delicious.  I just put batch 3 in the fermenter.

PBJ: congrats.  You know jester will be worth it.  I am sort of an engineer.  no PE after my name but 4 years of trade school and the US Coast Guard says I am an engineer.

I've been disappointed with most of the Merchant Marine oilers that have been recently hired (an oiler is one small step above an entry level ship engine room employee)  but one individual that was recently hired really impressed me with his knowledge.  I asked his background.  He said he graduated from university of Idaho with a BS in mechanical engineering.

He said he couldn't find a job he liked so he decided to go to sea.  He took a 3 month class to get his merchant mariner documents.  He is starting near the bottom of the industry, but in a couple of years he will be able to take a test (that he probably  could pass now) to be a licensed officer.    unfortunately,  I suspect that at that point he will leave Washington State Ferries to work on ocean going ships.

BTY

Hello all.  My rehab is going well.  Thursday and Friday  there were no walk breaks in my workouts, and it seemed that there was less pain in my hip while running and afterward as well.  I tend to think that at around 40 to 50 degrees, it's still chilly enough that everything stiffens up a bit during the walks and it's hard to loosen back up again.  Both days I did around 4 miles, starting with a 1 mile warm up at my usual warmup pace, then settling into an easy run pace that is about 1:00/mi slower than my healthy easy pace.   I am trying to stay optimistic that I will be able to race my April 27 10k at something approaching that healthy easy run pace.  I don't have aprayer of getting any AG hardware this year so I'm being somewhat realistic in hoping to run my age.  Anything sub 49:00 will suffice there.