Masters Running

2009 marathon and/or other race suggestions for Holly (Read 380 times)

Well if I have any say in the matter....Seattle RnR!!! Lots of west coast Boomers, PLUS Aamos! What could be better than that?? Plus the Pink Door! Plus hospitality, someone will share with you I'm sure. Plus lots of sightseeing, GIRL we could go for that trail run together finally!!! The only question is the race itself....a big ??? since no one knows how crowded, not crowded, organized/disorganized it will be. Also a half incase you get a bit injured.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly - if you're looking for a spring marathon, how about the Green Bay Cell Com on the weekend of May 15th-17th? It's the 10th anniversary, so I have to believe there's gonna be some good stuff. Starts and ends at Lambeau Field (you actually get to run through Lambeau at the end of the race, which is neat), and the course is relatively flat and very pretty - much of it is along the river. Entry fee not much, really well organized and a great expo and dinner at Lambeau the night before the race. Whadaya think? Big grin
        Jlynne, but do the good Packer people there make you wear one of those cheesehats?
        Masters 2000 miles
          Do I have this right? Your DH is offering you a one-way ticket out of town and you're not the least suspicious? Hmmm... But seriously, I'm sure that you'll be able to find just the right place to go and make it worth your while. Isn't there a big Seattle get-together brewing next spring or early summer? The one that I see enkie has mentioned? That's where I'd go if I thought I could make it.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The redwoods marathons (both spring and fall) sound awesome, but the location is far from any airport . . .
            The Avenue of the Giants is in May 2009 The Redwoods Marathon is in October. It's the same route of the Ave, but run in the opposite direction. The closest airport is the Eureka-Arcata Airport. The closest "big town" is Eureka, which is about 15-20 minutes south of Arcata and about 45 mins or so north of where the runs are staged in Southern Humboldt. The downfall of flying into our airport is it can be expensive, but currently we have less expensive, direct flights on Delta from Salt Lake City and on Horizon/Alaska from LAX. It's beautiful country here!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

or you just fly to Medford, OR and drive down with Tammy. It's about a 3 hr drive from my house.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all these great ideas. I have to admit that I would really like to do the Seattle R&R. The time is convenient, and it would be a great opportunity to party with run a race with the west coasters, and see an area of the country I've never seen. I'm going to talk it over with DH and see what he thinks about it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aamos - cheeseheads are optional! Holly, I love Seattle. It's an awesome city - lots of sightseeing opportunities, friendly people, good food. I guess if you can't see yourself in Green Bay, Seattle is a great choice. Not to mention the fact that you can get together with lots of RA friends... Big grin
                  SteveP

The Bayshore Marathon over Memorial Weekend. 1/2 and hour from our place.

SteveP

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - you would love Seattle! You should be able to get some pretty decent airfares out there too. That'd be my choice ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com