Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 5.20.14 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

50?!  Did you say 50?!  I thought it was supposed to be 52!  I was planning on 52!  Now, what am I going to do?  Did you happen to get the wind speed?

Weather Underground says the wind will be 4mph out of the southwest at 7:00am.  Weather Underground's newest format is pretty slick.  Move your cursor along the days of the week and it gives you hour by hour temperature, air pressure, wind speed & direction, and chance of precipitation.

AamosY - Sunrise in Buffalo on race day is 5:43am.  Sunset is at 8:41pm.

I firmed up all my family stuff.  Seeing my brother, sister-in-law, the new mother, baby, (and others) between 12-4 on Saturday.  Seeing my aunt and cousins between 1:30-2:00 on Sunday.  All the rest of my time is open so hopefully we can have some type of FE in there at some point.

wildchild

Carolyn

So I signed up for a 46 miler at the end of August.  I'm insane, I know, but my new friend from the one ultra I did is doing it and said she'd run with me and it's really cheap, just north of here in St. Pete, and kind of an urban trail, so doable for me.  Heh heh, or so I think.

grins,

A

You're running an ultra in AUGUST in FLORIDA????   Yep, that's insane.  But glad to hear your new ultra friend is being a bad influence on you.

Leslie, speaking of bad influences...   good luck and have fun this weekend! 

Fleet feet and good forecasts for all the weekend racers!  Mike, I hope you win the marathon!

No racing for me this weekend -- see, I don't do a 50k every week!   My DD is graduating from Cornell on Sunday.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

ribs, it sounds like you are making progress.  Keep it up.  Happy birthday Jay and a belated one to Starr.  Holly, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friends brother.  My thoughts are with the family.  Dave, how neat to be meeting so many relatives.  Tammy, you have every right to be proud of your son.  wild, congrats on your 50K.

Nice long runs for CNY, az, and Holly.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 50s, there was some wind, and some sprinkles/light rain near the end of my run.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:52 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Weather Underground's newest format is pretty slick.  Move your cursor along the days of the week and it gives you hour by hour temperature, air pressure, wind speed & direction, and chance of precipitation.

Oh no!  This is NOT something Mike, our little OCD weatherman,  needed to know.

Amy - Welcome to the Dark Side, my friend.

Congrats to your daughter, Carolyn ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Oooh...I like that Weather Underground...

5 easy miles, tonight, then off to a soccer game.  My grandaughter scored one goal in the 1st half, then had two beautiful corner kicks in the 2nd half that resulted in goals that won the game.  It was really cool.

Okay--that's all I got--I have to get to bed.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - I'm sure you'll be okay but did you check the weekend weather for the Cascades, Astoria and Portland? I don't think I"ve ever heard of a 39 mile warm-up for a 50K though.

Are all three of you doing the triple?

No particular reason but any noctural running?

I guess you have to drive between 'em at night. oh well.

good luck.

ps - do you carry all your  hydration for the CCC part?

how much?  how?  I hope you don't get lost.

Sorry to say but I'd be surprised if you don't though.

It's not that well marked so be careful.

If all else fails, just walk down a north-facing slope (watch out for cliffs, to say nothing of various animals I've run into up there over the  years, e.g. with mariposai's DS at one of our Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnels but which kinds I won't mention so as not to scare you unduly <<<(bigfoot/bigfoot)>>> ) and  you'll eventually run into I-90 (i think).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow, lots to comment on but no time. Dave, you can have the house, really. I don't know where you could get a job around here as an engineer on a ferry though. Amy, I think you are nuts to run an ultra in Florida in August, well anywhere could be bad, even Minnesota is icky sticky then. I found a triathlon in Annandale, MN the weekend we will be up there camping. 8am Sunday morning. I would have to skip church, but will listen to a podcast instead.  Anyway, the short loop seems doable, if I can get up to the .25 mile swim part that is. Bike is 9 miles and run is 2.5 miles.

I squeezed in a run around the lake between work and orchestra practice. 5 miles in 75° and absolutely no wind! It would have been nice to have a little breeze, but I'm not complaining.  Well, I guess I'd better check the weather for June 1st in Deadwood.  Maybe it will be 50° and no wind.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Maniac 505

Wow, lots to comment on but no time. Dave, you can have the house, really. I don't know where you could get a job around here as an engineer on a ferry though.  

Starr, not a problem.  For the first  8 years of my sea going career I lived in Whitefish Montana.  I sailed on the ships for about 6 months a year,  lived inland the other 6.  I am getting close to transitioning back to that lifestyle except I expect to work MUCH less then 6 months a year.

Cool story the other day RE: Amos, the winners, and the people finishing the ultra just before the 32 hour cut off.  It reminded me of a story I recently read.  Supposedly, I think it was Frank Shorter asked someone how long it took them to run that marathon,  When he was told about 3 1/2 hours Frank said         "WOW  I could never run that long!!"

another ugly work week of 16 hour days (commuting and working)  but I start my week off tomorrow .  Next week I am have an OK work schedule with no commute.

For my week off,  I have to get in start getting in shape to hang with Dove for a bike ride in June.  Last time we did an organized bike ride, she ran a 24 hour race the weekend before.  I won't have that advantage this time.

Dave

evanflein

Good luck with that, Divechief. That Dove can be hard to keep up with! Smile

That house did look pretty cool. Always interesting to find out what's "behind the curtain," so to speak.

Is there a race in Buffalo this weekend, or something like that? Hard to tell....

I don't know that I'd be so keen to do an Ultra in Florida in August... but then, I'm not Aamos. Interesting distance at 47 miles.

Good to hear Carolyn does take a weekend off every now and then. Hey, I love how you have so many to choose from! I will say that that's one of the real drawbacks to living here from a runner's perspective. There aren't all that many races (HM or above) nearby. We have one HM, one oddball trail/road 16.5 mile run (one of my favorite races, btw) and the Equinox. There's also the "Sluicebox 100" which is some insane 100 mile run OR bike race that most runners do as a relay. But other than that, our next marathon is hundreds of miles away. Too bad I don't like 5k's more... there seem to be a ton of those pesky things popping up all over.

Can't seem to get out of the office during the day, which is not a good thing. I'll try to do better at that this summer. But I'm getting good runs in after work with a good 10k yesterday, and a 7.3 mile tempo run today. After the really nice beginning to our spring, we've been having cool and windy conditions the last couple of weeks. Today was not too bad, although still cooler than I'd like with the lows in the mid-30's in the early morning and the highs just getting to upper 50's. At least the wind wasn't so much today. *sigh* I can't wait till summer really hits.

Mariposai

Starr, not a problem.  For the first  8 years of my sea going career I lived in Whitefish Montana.  I sailed on the ships for about 6 months a year,  lived inland the other 6.  I am getting close to transitioning back to that lifestyle except I expect to work MUCH less then 6 months a year.

Dave, you can always consider Omak as your homebase. People know you around here already.

Good luck with the getting bike riding fit to catch up with Dove.Was she not a national pro at biking before she took into running?

Funny,here is a picture of me and my other kids who have decided that I will learn to ride a bike good enough to enter in the upcoming 50k bike ride this summer! . Poor kids, they have no idea how green of a bike rider their "other mama is". Today we did bike riding fartleks...I never knew there was such a thing.

My bike Carmen and I did well today on flat ground. Next week they plan to introduce me to hills....

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

okay, i'll stop here. this is already turning into a 'brag on david' post. i'm just so dang proud of him

Brag away.

Yay on DD Wildchild!

I got a couple of waddling pace miles in after work. I was able to keep up with the rocks and the trees this time.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

You're running an ultra in AUGUST in FLORIDA????   Yep, that's insane. 

Yup, exactly.

Congrats to your DD, Carolyn!

Mike - cool DD!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Weather Underground's newest format is pretty slick.  Move your cursor along the days of the week and it gives you hour by hour temperature, air pressure, wind speed & direction, and chance of precipitation.

This would be really cool if I had any faith in the accuracy of the forecast beyond about 10 hours out.  Even that is subject to change around here.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."