Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 11.5.14 (Read 38 times)

janie b good

no run today. +4hrs of raking leaves (2hrs at church and 2hrs at home).  oh, and I chopped down a small tree too.  *roar*

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

To continue the airport theme, I'm at Logan on the way to Philly and a site visit in NJ tomorrow. Of course I made the mistake ofllooking at the weather and it's supposed to rain all day. Joy, joy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Voting is actually quite irrational.  There is a cost in time if nothing else to go vote.  But the odds that your one vote changes the outcome of any race is minuscule.  Indeed, I suspect none of us here have ever been the decisive vote in an election.  A former colleague of mine, who is brilliant and a famous academic (now retired), said he never voted because it was irrational to do so.  He is right.  <shrug>  Fine by me.  If others do not want to vote it increases the odds my vote is pivotal from something too small to measure to something too small to measure higher!    So, each election off I go to vote.

As to running, today was my penultimate run prior to the Savannah marathon.  I clocked in for 6 miles this morning.  When I got back I discovered my pace was a lot faster than I had anticipated.  Nice surprise!  I was not pushing it or anything.  Just running.  Now if things just go this well on Saturday.  Tomorrow I have 4 on tap.  But I think it will be raining in the morning and that is the only chance I have to run so I think it might end up being on the TM.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 10.2 in 1:18:19...in the rain.  It was very light, though, Twocat.  Since I had run 10.2 last night, I was only going to run 6, tonight, but wrestling practice is tomorrow, so I thought I'd go ahead and run a very easy 10 miler.  But then I started thinking about wrestling and I found myself flying down the road at times.  I can't wait to beat up on a bunch of 1st graders, tomorrow.

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  I have to be at work at 5:30, tomorrow.

Mariposai

Twocat, you are going to so rock the Savannah marathon. Good luck to the lovely Mrs. Twocat on her back to back race (half mari and 5k the nextx day).

Thanks for your vote of confidence towards me. Yes, of course I will run next year Smile.

6 miles tonight to celebrate my official acceptance to the Boston 2015 marathon. I am so excited to see my East Coast friends again.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hey, back again after two days in Anchorage for meetings. Glad the elections are over, but not entirely happy about the outcome. What is it with incumbents? We have one U.S. representative, and he's been in office since, oh maybe forever? Everyone I know hates him. And he's always doing stoopid, politically stoopid, or just downright bad stuff, and there is always lots of talk about term limits, ethics violations, inappropriate discourse, whatever... the guy keeps getting re-elected. Will it take him dying or deciding to retire to get him out? Probably. He won by 51% this year. Hardly a referendum, IMO, since 39% voted for the young new guy, and the rest voted for off the wall candidates from other distracting parties. Just frustrating.

Anyway, I was in Anchorage for meetings the last couple of days. Monday was a so-called "rest day" since I didn't run, but it was an exhausting day of meetings and committee discourse. Tuesday morning I ran 5.1 hot sweaty miles on the hotel treadmill. Why do they keep those rooms so hot? The thermostat was set at 72° which is way too hot for a room where folks work out...

Today was another full day at work, but I got out tonight for 8.2 GA miles on the bike paths at 12° (to start) at about 8:15 pace. A good run, even though it took me 3 miles to warm up. We haven't had snow in a long time, so the bike paths are in good shape, even with some snow. Last couple of years though, we've had freezing rain/snow around Thanksgiving so I hope that doesn't happen this year!