Masters Running

40/40 Thread for week ending 2/10/08 (Read 599 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for those who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's the tally from last week. If I got anything wrong, or there are any late posters, let me know:
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Twocat70.85 Longest run, done and in the bag. (whew!)
    CNYrunner67.1 And got to run with SkipAZ!
    Perch64.7 Running every day.
    Holly55.220 miler was a mental battle this week.
    Breger50 Pretty amazing week for a guy coming off being so sick.
    Predawnrunner48 Like me, a believer in 2 rest days (and a new convert to audiobooks).
    Evenflein45 Tops off the week with a long run at -23 degrees – brrrr!
    Wa5yom44.15 Just tosses in an ultra – 3 weeks after a marathon – wow!
    Pfriese40.6 First week of training for Oklahoma Memorial Marathon.
    Slojim40.5 A welcome addition to the group. Smile
    Biketm38.5 Another new addition - you can play in our sandbox anytime, Tim…Smile
    Tramps28.1 Not feeling so well this week.
    SirWalksalot Free Pass Pneumonia – yikes! Rest, my fren.
    Here's my plan for the week:
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday0 miles0 Weights and abs
    Tuesday8-11 10.15 Tired legs made me do only half my hill workout, and T-storms had me finishing on the treadmill.
    Wednesday7 7.6 Comfortable brisk-ish pace – with CNYrunner!
    Thursday8-11 10.10 With 8 miles at MP (8:45-ish), 8:50 pace overall – with CNYrunner!
    Friday00 Weights and abs
    Saturday12-15 14.05 Easy paced. Party to go to Sat. night, (drinking involved) has me switching out LR.
    Sunday7 10 Easy pace
    Total42-5151.9

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maybe I'll get to run this week. Guess not. M--0 T--0 W--0 T--0 F--0 S--0 S--0 I'm not lazy, I'm just "in recovery." Start again tomorrow with an easy TM run.....I'll take it from there.
        Thanks again Holly and see you soon! 2/4------10 miles with 8 at 7:45 pace--------actual--10.5 miles with 8.5 at 7:35-7:45 pace 2/5------Off/travel 2/6------7 miles with Holly--------actual----7.6 miles with Holly Smile 2/7------8-11 miles with Holly-----10.10 miles 2/8------10 miles relaxed with strides------10.3 pace run in 1:20:58 2/9------8 miles with last mile hard--------8.1 miles at 9ish pace--bagged the last mile at kick pace 2/10-----13. 1 race with 5 miles (split between wu and cd)------16.4 at 8:45 pace----no race, weather weenie weights and abs 3x week----done Get to bed before midnight-----not so much/failed on this front Total----63 CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mon - 10 mile tempo run - 1:17:45 - 7:47 pace - hard run after 12 miles the day before Tues - 1 hour easy on cycling rollers - running legs sore and tired - felt good afterwards Weds - 8 easy miles - still recovering from Monday's tempo Thurs - 9 easy miles - nice night with no wind and 30 degrees Fri - Rest - maybe add a short 2 or 3 miler? Sat - 13.5 miles - nice temps at 40 degrees but windy Sun - 6.7 miles - no fun with winds chills at -25 to -35 and gusts up to 50 mph Total - 47.2 Thanks for doing this for us Holly - I really think about the 40/40's when I run! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Last week went well, so let's see what this week brings. I have the A1A HM next week, so I'll not be running real long, just a few MLR's probably, with some tempo miles thrown in for good measure.
            DayPlanActualComments
            MondayPlanned Rest Day0 miles
            Tuesday6 miles easy8 miles easy9:04 min/mile pace
            Wednesday12 miles easy12 miles9:00 min/mile pace, negative splits, miles 9 and 10 at MP
            Thursday6 miles recovery6.05 miles recovery9:28 min/mile pace
            Friday6 miles easy5.029:13 min/mile pace
            Saturday12 miles at tempo12 miles8:23 min/mile pace. Not tempo, but hard enough!
            Sunday5 miles easy4 milesTreadmill
            Totals:45ish47.07 miles
            Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks, Holly! More megamiles
              DayPlan Actual Comments
              Monday REST+ X-Train2 miMagical Healing Miles for Tory @ AHR 133 (+ 40 pushups and 30 SU's)
              Tuesday6 mi recovery w/ 6x100m strides6 mi9:38 AHR 143
              Wednesday13 mi m-LR15 mi13 mi hilly @ 8:27 then 2 mi w/ Tory @ 9:30
              Thursday6 mi recovery6 mi9:29, AHR 142
              Friday11 mi w/PBJ Special 11.2 minailed it 8 mi in 59:51, 7:28 pace , AHR 162 happy day!
              Saturday6 mi recovery6 mi 9:35 AHR 141
              Sunday20 mi LR20 mi8:35 pace AHR 154 right on target ..good workout
              Totals:6466.2 migood mix m-LR, LR and PBJ Special!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

I'm getting over something and will probably lay a little low this week until I figure out what's going on. I'll be back next week.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I tried Twocat's macro, but my computer at work won't allow it to run. So, I just copied last week's again. This is a cold cold week here, so I anticipate most of this will be on the treadmill, but hope to get outside this weekend!
                  Day Plan Actual Comments
                  Monday XT DayNadaTurned into unplanned rest day... Undecided
                  Tuesday5 w/3@10k pace63x1mile@7:30 w/ .5@8:34 after each, plus w/u and c/d
                  Wednesday8 miles w/3@MP8.63@8:34, balance EZ 8:49
                  Thursday5 miles EZ5.32@MP (8:34), middle mile @10k pace (7:30)
                  Friday Rest Day0 milesSalmon done on the grill, drinks out with friends... ahhhh!
                  Saturday8 miles8.25Hilly run, 3 times up "the bump" in sunny -12F temp Smile
                  Sunday17 miles17.6514.25 miles outside, 3.4 on treadmill, 17.65 total (-10 but windy!)
                  Totals:43 Miles45.8 actual total
                    For this week....... Sunday - 5K with another 6 miles of warmup/cooldown, actual 5K race with 2 miles wu/cd Monday- rest Tuesday- 7.5 easy, actual 8.25 easy Wednesday- 8 progressive , actual 7.5 progressive Thursday- rest Friday- 12 long - bad headache, only got 5.38 easy Saturday- 6 easy- still felt crappy... 5.25 easy Total 42+/- planned ... fell way short.... 31.5 actual
                      evanflein the default security setting in Word is the problem. It is easy to fix. You just need to lower your macro security level to Low. Click on Tools>Options>Macro Security. Now click Low. Yes, Word will tell you this is a bad idea. Change it back if you like but you will need to then change it to Low prior to running the Macro each time. Unless you download a lot of Word files from sources of questionable repute the lower macro security level should not put you at much risk.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly thank you for continuing on with this tradition. I am back on the road traveling this week so my schedule is not as spread out as I would like. But here goes:
                        DayPlanActualCommentary
                        Monday1010.15 Double day. 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM.
                        Tuesday1414.43 Weather may make this a problem. Forecast at the moment is for light rain. Weather turned out fine! Actually a nice day for a run.
                        Wednesday2022.33 This was in Salt Lake City. Great course that I picked up off of MapMyRun. Just one problem: a couple of mile stretch on an uphill bike path covered with 4” of snow! Dead
                        Thursday00 After Tuesday and Wednesday I am really going to need a day off!
                        Friday65.19
                        Saturday56.27
                        Sunday12.412.420K race. Did ok. Managed something close to a 7:00 pace on a very hilly course. Waiting with baited breadth for the official race results!
                        Total67.470.77

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

carnivirus

Hello All! Mind if I squeeze in here? I'm new to RA, but have been running and racing for >35 years (I posted a short bio to the "little about you" post). Just ramping things up for a simultaneous assault on 50 and the Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego. I'm trying the cut and paste method of the weekly schedule . . .
                          Day Plan Actual Comments
                          Monday 0 XTStrength & abs
                          Tuesday5-6 easy6 easy
                          WednesdayIntervals (8-9)8Ladder (400/600/800/1000/800/600/400)
                          Thursday5-6 easy + XT0Worked on car/sore quad
                          Friday 5-6 easy 5quad warmed up some during run
                          Saturday17 LR6quad still sore/LR Sun?
                          Sunday5-6 easy 17quad held up OK
                          Totals:45-50 Miles42
                          Steve

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - welcome! Jump right in anywhere. Don't forget to post your upcoming races in the Intrepid Racers thread.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

evanflein the default security setting in Word is the problem. It is easy to fix. You just need to lower your macro security level to Low. Click on Tools>Options>Macro Security. Now click Low. Yes, Word will tell you this is a bad idea. Change it back if you like but you will need to then change it to Low prior to running the Macro each time. Unless you download a lot of Word files from sources of questionable repute the lower macro security level should not put you at much risk.
                              Twocat, I did that and it still didn't work. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm sure it's some sort of control set by IT here at work...
                              pfriese

Holly, Thanks for the weeks cypherin and comments.
                                DayMilesComment
                                Mondayrest daydone
                                Tuesday7 miles10:00/mile on treadmill
                                Wednesday8.15 miles9:11/mile around the lake
                                Thursdayrest day
                                Friday8.3 miles9:12/mile sort of a progression run
                                Saturday6.0 miles1 mile warm-up, 5 mile race @ 7:40/mile (new PR)
                                Sunday17.35 milesLSD 9:50/mile
                                Total46.8 mileDONE
                                Paul