Masters Running

Friday Feb. 6 Take-it-Easy Runs (or not) (Read 437 times)

hey Tyrone was the name of my first dog - a Beagle when I was in highschool. His full name was Tyrone Cobb . . . Aamos will appreciate that Big grin
    Indeed! Big grin My first team was the Tigers, being born in Detroit, and I read all about the Georgia Peach (Tyrus Raymond Cobb) in my youth! How'd you come by that name? O goody, Franc, take your time. I am trying to doctor it up to make it heart healthy and I've always made it without measuring, so a recipe would be grand, not to mention one of yours would be a gift! Kevin, I read that they use the same ol' plain Atlas truck because if it had Sox markings, there'd be a caravan down the interstate! I love the Nation! grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles
    TammyinGP

well that goes to show how much I know. I thought his name was Tyrone, not Tyrus. My poor deceased dog never even had a proper name Cry I don't remember how my brother and I picked that. I liked the name "Ty" and he looked like a "Ty" and then my brother, who must have been familiar with the baseball players name, picked Tyrone Cobb. There, it's my little brothers fault his name was messed up. . .

Tammy

xor

I had a cat named Ty. But that was short for "Tycoon Flats", which was a restaurant or a bar. I don't recall. He was a damn mean cat, though. Not unlike Ty Cobb.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes for DH. He made it through knee surgery, and made it up the steps to the bedroom afterward on crutches without falling down. (Being that I’m 125 lbs lighter, I wasn’t much help there.) He came out of it in a lot more pain than he expected, but the meds seem to be managing it right now. As I understand it, he has a sort of divot in the cartilage on part of his knee where the bones rub together, and they drilled a series of small holes in the divot to stimulate cartilage growth to fill it in and smooth it out. It’ll take several months before we know if it worked. I may switch my LR out to Sunday, since we will not be going to church, and DH may need me to stay close by tomorrow morning. I really prefer to do it on Sunday, if I can, since I usually have relaxed, putter around the house plans for Sunday afternoon, so if I'm dragged out from my run that's okay. The weather is the toss-up, though. Tomorrow in the morning is supposed to be 34 and windy, but dry. Sunday in the morning is supposed to be 42 and windy, but possible showers. Tough call. I'd love to do my LR in shorts, but would rather be dry.... Oh yeah, 3.10 miles outside this afternoon, including 6 x 10 sec. hill sprints, plus a few exercises when I got home. It was 39 degrees and I overdressed, plus I still had food in my stomach from lunch, so basically I felt like a big slug. I don't know how you after-work runners do it. All my energy seems to be in the morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

That is such a cute video of Tobias! Thanks for posting that, I needed to see that today. And yes, I saw him sneaking some water laps along the way. BTW, I don't recommend doing that while water running. Holly, I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to. Sometimes it is hard to drag yourself out on your run when it's been a long day and dinner has to be made, etc. But it's also an excellent stress reliever and a great way to shift from "work me" to "family me." But for many reasons, I can't get up early to run before work... I still find I need to get everyone else going, starting with shaking DS2 out of bed at 6... I sneaked out of here a little late (phone kept bugging me) but got 3 miles in on the TM at lunchtime. We got invited to a wine tasting tonight which should be fun. Haven't been to one of those in ages. The wholesaler who invited us (also a friend) was on the treadmill next to me and was just churning out steady 8:34 miles the whole time. Don't know what his mileage was, but a steady pace like that would drive me nuts. I'm always fiddling with pace and incline on the TM, maybe that's why I don't mind it like some people. He seemed to be doing fine, though.
              Friday - 7.02 miles - 54:36 - 7:47 Easy start progressively harder until mile 7 for a nice cool down - 8:21 - 8:17 - 7:53 - 7:46 - 7:34 - 6:53 - 7:44 - :08 I'm with you Erika, the longer the run on the treadmill the more I feel the need to vary the pace somewhat...otherwise it can get even more boring than it already is! Smile
              Tramps

Seems like an active day for a Friday...Perch and Munch meet up...Holly's DH gets through surgery...Truck Day...an Aamos/PBJ/CNY hat trick...Chris Chelios Hour of Power...Karl heading for a BQ... Alex's embedded workout...and much more, including, of course, Monty Python And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with memory gaps. I'd comment individually but I've forgotten who posted. 8 miles for me, with 6 of them at MP. Spring-like temps headed our way for the weekend. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Mariposai happy to join you! After a 6 hour lecture you are going to need a case. Tongue Could you order me a stout or porter if I am late? Smile
                  your stout is ordered sir...just come down when you can. Big grin But yoou have to do all the talking......my talking brain esta frito. Do you mind if Gordon joins us?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

And yes, I saw him sneaking some water laps along the way. BTW, I don't recommend doing that while water running.
                    Big grin Stevie Ray (can I call you Stevie Ray, even though your name is Robert?) – the wiener dog on the water treadmill video is adorable.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

Yep, cute video of Tobias, I assume the water wasn"t TOO chlorinated? Aamos, green lipped mussels for Frank? Lucky dog! And they do that for him? I Guess I need to eat more of them. (when I was in New Zealand, after a storm they would wash up on the beach and they were bigger than my foot)! I would love to see Franc's recipe, but Heart Healthy Carbonara? that sounds like sacrilege. Went out for a new pair of running shoes today, I have used Brooks Adrenaline for years, but I always worry when they change models. The good news were the Adrenaline 8's were 25% off The bad news, they didn't have my size The rest of the bad news, the 9's will be in the store in about a week 6 ez miles in the mist this morning in my old Adrenaline 8's. Dave
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Cute video of Tobias! I took today off work, as DD and I had a full day of errands, dentist, eye doctor, etc. She drove us all over town, and did quite well. Up till now I've let her drive down the canyon, but when we get to town I take over the driving. So today was really her first long day of town driving. My leg is tired from pushing the imaginary brake pedal on my side, but otherwise I stayed pretty calm. Tongue We had a wonderful 3 mile trail run together, in shorts and tee shirts yet again. Snow is on the way this weekend, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

My leg is tired from pushing the imaginary brake pedal on my side, but otherwise I stayed pretty calm. Tongue
                          Ah! Visions of my poor Pops giving me stick shift driving lessons. What a trooper he was! SRL - Cute vid of Tobias! I had been trying to envision a doggy water treadmill. Is there just enough water to help buoy him a little to keep pressure off his legs/back? How much longer does he have to do this, and is he still having to be corralled to stay quiet?

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance