Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.6.12 (Read 403 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Last night's local Planning Board meeting was a challenge, and we (the Conservation Commission) lost our appeal to stop or at least further mitigate a project that will fill 1.5 acres of wetlands and wetlands buffers. I got home at bedtime, so just had a little snack in place of dinner, and went to bed. I was awake at 3:30 this morning, out of bed at 3:45, and out the door at 4:05. It was muggy, misty, 66F, and breezeless. For a COP, I wore my '06-vintage NB racewalking shoes (the last year, I believe, that NB made shoes specifically for racewalking) on my 5.1 mi. workout. I bring those shoes out about once a year or so, just for the fun of it. This morning's workout was just to stay loose, and work on feeling fluid. Mission accomplished. 3 cars, no stars, no critters.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..nice one jay////........kidding aside, your consistency is Amazing.....

=========

.....wee bit of a KillerCramp up the inside of my Leg last night (sigh)

so

a little x-bike

alternating sitting and standing this morning,

and

got out An Old Friend,

the NordicTrak......arm-lines a little fouled, tension set Way too high

but

it mimics the moves of ''jogging''

had to

quit using it about 3-years ago,

but

MAYBE I can ease into a light work-out on it.

This is either a SmartMove or I'm Asking for Trouble.

we'll see.

........................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

This is either a SmartMove or I'm Asking for Trouble.

we'll see.

Here's hoping for the smart move.

Morning Jay!

7 miles for me this morning in mid-60's and light fog.  3 miles in the middle at:

8:26

8:03

7:58

Very happy with that.

Today we're having our annual "client appreciation event" at work, with two sessions of meet-and-greet, 11-2 and 4-7, with office work in between.  The boss always has themes for these, and this year's theme is "Gangster Era/ Roaring 20's.  Therefore, I'm dressed as a flapper, with a tassle-ridden dress, fishnet stockings, long strands of beads, and impossibly spiky heels.  Pus a hair band with a feather and a feather boa and a long cigarette holder with a fake cigarette.  Kind of fun, actually.  Smile  We need to have a costume party for Halloween this year so I have an excuse to wear this again....Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This year's theme is "Gangster Era/ Roaring 20's.  Therefore, I'm dressed as a flapper, with a tassle-ridden dress, fishnet stockings, long strands of beads, and impossibly spiky heels.  Pus a hair band with a feather and a feather boa and a long cigarette holder with a fake cigarette.  Kind of fun, actually.  Smile  We need to have a costume party for Halloween this year so I have an excuse to wear this again....Big grin

Oh, be still my heart!

6 miles this morning in the persistent H&H.  I logged this one as a GA run, because that was the effort level.  Just wish the paces matched the effort.  Joking

This too shall pass.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Pictures.  Pictures are essential.

Day two of my whirlwind tour of NC.  Finally got a little realistic and didn't even bother to pack running stuff.  have to get out tomorrow.  I'm hoping that everyone will be concentrating on Barak's speech at the DNC so the Charlotte airport will be empty when I head out this eviening.

Good runs to all.

PS Starr---very nice negative splits.  FWIW, I think starting out slow is the way to go.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good early (very early!) run, Jay. Good luck with the Nordic Track, TW! Fishnet stockings and spiky heels? Not even going to go there... And if it's regularly as humid where you are, Bill, as it was here yesterday, well you have my additional admiration.

Taking the day off to get some stuff done before we leave on our trip tomorrow. Anyone else have trouble packing for a trip where the weather conditions are going to be a lot different from what you have locally? I've basically been living in shorts since about June, but it looks like it will be a lot cooler where we're going up in Maine. Tough to decide on pants vs. shorts, short or long sleeves, etc. Plus gear for hiking, some running clothes, and so on. Fortunately, we're driving in a roomy vehicle and can just take it all.

Be back in a couple weeks, barring a few posts from the road.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Star, starting out slow is key for a successful race! It is so great to see you running again.

Jay, you are amazing. Up at that early for your training after only a couple of hours of sleep. Amazing. I congratulate you for serving in the conservation commission. I think you and my DH would have had a lot to talk about at the Boston meet-up. I know he really enjoyed talking with stumpy.

Pirate: butterfly hugs for a smart move.

Holly, pictures, please!!!

Rrochrunner, where are you going now? My problem with packing for different weather is due to the fact that I tend to pack my seasonal clothing away and I never remember the content of the boxes, so packing is always a mayor task.

RESTing my wings today for marathon day on Saturday.

Cry I slept in until 6:30Sleepy.

Joking

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Holly is hot anyway.  I can't imagine how much more so she would be dressed as a Roaring 20's flapper.

Stick with it Bill.  H&H is tough, and will be so down there for way longer than anyone else has it.  This weekend in TX it's supposed to be low 80's and everyone is already talking about it!  We'll be 103 again today.

The Rib Cage will be in CA this weekend for my BIL Joe's memorial service. I am speaking and today and tomorrow I'm composing it, so I can do the best job I can of remembering and celebrating his life. I have lots of great stories to tell that show who he was.

Yes, that was Sam Cooke with "Another Saturday Night."  I always enjoyed the line, "Another fella told me he had a sister who looked just fine. Instead of bein' my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat named Frankenstein..."

And it was 1964 when Bob Hayes was named "the world's fastest human."

4.5 miles this morning, kinda sluggish, but feeling better.

What Texas city  is Latin for "Body of Christ?"   Spareribs

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

another smokey morning here as they continue to put the wildfire out about 3 miles from home.  Will try to leave work a bit early today and get in a short run while David is at CC practice.

here's a pic of the members of the CC team that won ribbons for top 10 finishers at their meet on Tuesday:

when I pulled up results, I saw that there were 59 boys running, so David came in 6/59. He was first male finisher for his school and 1st 7th grader overall also. The top 5 finishers were all 8th graders. the girl on the far left took first overall in the female heat with a time of 11:55 in the 3K. She is such a great runner. Her younger sister took 11th place, so just out of ribbon placement and her brother is down on the far right next to David (shoot: guess he got cut off when I copy/pasted from FB). 
                    here's a pic of David coming into the finish:

and one more with his friend Dane.

Tammy

The Rib Cage will be in CA this weekend for my BIL Joe's memorial service. I am speaking and today and tomorrow I'm composing it, so I can do the best job I can of remembering and celebrating his life. I have lots of great stories to tell that show who he was.

What Texas city  is Latin for "Body of Christ?"   Spareribs

Finally one I may know.  Corpus Christi?

I don't know if it's appropriate or not.  I'll leave it up to you, Ribs.  But I'm sure many of us would enjoy hearing your words about your BIL.  But in the interest of privacy in this time of mourning and celebration, we'll understand fully if you choose not to.  Give our virtual regards to his family regardless.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Holly S. yep pictures!  If you can sneak some in of the whole event that would be a hoot too!

tomwhite best of luck using the NordicTrak again.  I hope it pans out.  If not, you might see if an elliptical and you get along any better.  A used elliptical machine courtesy of eBay is pretty reasonably priced and often either like new or if refurbished commercial equipment good enough and solid enough to last longer than any of us will given typical home use!  FWIW my elliptical and TM are of the refurbished commercial kind.

Spareribs I am sure your speech will make for a wonderful tribute to your BIL.  While it is a sad task I found it was also rewarding to honor them this way when I composed mine to my parents.  I hope you too find its composition to ultimately be a rewarding experience.

StarrRuns good job in the intervals!  Now good luck with your Garmin reprogramming!

fatozzig busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest?  Now there is an expression you do not hear every day!

Opie good for you, running so well that keep going is something you want to do!

Mike E I can see how the happy hour with your former colleagues could bring in mixed feelings.  But if you like their companionship see if you can forget the prior context.  If all they do is talk about your old firm, well then that is a problem that will not be easy to solve.

roachrunner how do you find these things out about your long ago relatives!

Mariposai hey I like marinara sauce!  Send some east!  Wink

Today was my longest long run of the training cycle.  A 22 miler.  Happy to be done with it.  Work has been really busy.  I need to arrange a trip to Ireland in March for about 20-30 MBA students.  While there they are supposed to meet with local "business leaders."  Translation:  Anybody reasonably high up in their firm and willing to either show them around the firm's operations or give a presentation as part of an evening panel discussion.  If anybody here has contacts in Ireland please, please let me know!  Thanks.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rrochrunner, where are you going now? My problem with packing for different weather is due to the fact that I tend to pack my seasonal clothing away and I never remember the content of the boxes, so packing is always a mayor task.

We'll mainly be on the coast of Maine -- Lubec, Bar Harbor, and Bath -- after driving there thru Vermont & New Hampshire. Not as long a trip as we would like, but this is a busy time of year for us.

Good luck in your marathon! I'll be looking in for a full report.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...Pretty Country roch//.......have a Safe Trip

=======

...thanks twocat//.........unfortunately my ''Pushing Off'' Muscles in the leg can't handle an elliptical

I'm hoping

the NordicTrak'' tracked system'' will do the job

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

It has to be Corpus Christi, no question.

6.1 miles, I was bored of the usual so I went down down down the big hill to the commercial area, along that road, inhaling bus exhaust and cigarette smoke, and then a slow sloggy jog back up the hill, but I'm proud to say, no walking was invovled.

Yesterday, I ran under a tree, caught a web and saw the spider hit my chest and tumble down me to the ground (thankfully).  When I got home I noticed I still had some webbish material clinging to me.  It's that time of year.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tammy, congrats to your son on his XC race, being 6th OA and 1st for his team.  The pictures were great.

Nice long run Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm, a near perfect day for running.  I got in  7 miles at a 10:52 pace.  I usually try to pick up the speed the last mile.  Today's was 9:49.  I'm not in the same league with most of you but I was happy.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS