Masters Running

12.26.15 (Saturday) The Day After (Read 33 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now that’s what snow’s for, at least when ¥you’re still young.

And good for wildchild:  that's what beaches are for too, . . . to say nothing of bare feet.

I slowed down considerably from the 6-second/miles Delta was churning out on the 10.5 hour Christmas Eve flight over here to 20-sec/mile for the three hour+ trip from Tokyo to Osaka on the Shinkansen Bullet train. 
    On the way, went from the same Odawara to Mishima stations in less than 15 minutes that’s sometimes taken more than eight hours to run in the Joyfuls semi-annual same Odawara-to-Mishima Marathon but that climbs up through Hakone Pass instead of cutting through rice fields, tunnels, etc.

In this regard, the sports pages are already so pre-occupied with the twenty university teams of ten runners each qualified for the five 20K or so sections each of this year’s Hakone Ekiden on January 2 (Tokyo-to-Hakone: 108K) and January 3 (Hakone-to-Tokyo: 109K), you’d think it was their equivalent of the Superbowl.  Oh, it is.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie, glad you found a friend to run with!  You were very patient with her - nice to share your food and water.

+1

Carolyn - how did you find a cooking class to take in Mexico?

Deez - so sorry to hear your DH lost his job in Christmas Eve!  My DH worked as a pipelayer when we first married, and his jobs were like that - the job would last until the project was finished, then they would lay off the workers until they could get onto another project.  Played havoc with my stress hormones and our budget.  I hope your DH finds another job quickly.

Mariposai - skiing with your men - wonderful!  Do you think all the snow will mean less drought for next year?

Tet - that is a grueling travel schedule...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."