Masters Running

Saturday Daily - Where's everyone (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

Congrats MikeE impressive time for a 10k.

Sorry, I can't help it! MikeE. deserves a dancing banana celebration, don't you think?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Holly, Puerto Vallarta, same week as you.

Tselbs, as we age we lose VO2 max, so we slow a bit. Also, we lose flexibility and our recovery takes a bit longer, so that quote is spot on. But always remember that, like tomwhite, we are out there. Often I see people posting about their fast times at the 5K or other distance when they're kids in their 50's, but they all seem to disappear here in their 60's. Either they've slowed so much they don't want to mention their times, or some other physical problem, often knees, keeps them from running any more.  Just keep on keeping on.  I think you are doing great.

There's a guy in the DFW area in his 80's, runs the 5K in a bit over 30 minutes.  Everyone passes him.  A few of us know who he is. Texas Running Hall of Famer, sub 2:20 marathoner as a young man.  He's still at it. I love the guy! And often at races I seek him out for training ideas or just to talk running.  Times mean nothing.  We all ran our fast times years ago. Nothing will ever take them away.  Spareribs

Mike E you are amazingly fast!

C-R good luck with your goal!

Dave59 in the movies you not only get shot in "just the right place" so you live but a few hours later you are wrestling the bad guy to the ground.  More likely you are dead if not right off from blood loss.  At best in the hospital emergency room in critical condition.  Unless you are a robot sent back from the future.  Then . . .

StarrRuns yeah, I have heard running is good preparation for a race.  You might want to get started on that.  

henrun glad your knee is better, sorry to hear the ankle is acting up.  I hope it heals up fast.

Spareribs you are getting a divorce!  Does your DW know?  

Today's wacky distance race was 6.76 miles.  I ended up running it at a 7:29 pace.  Basically, what I ran the 4.683 mile race in.  Today's course was not only longer but a lot hillier.  So, I figure things are improving.  Not fast enough.  Never that!  Last year I ran the 6.76 mile race in a 7:00 pace.  Improvement is improvement and I will take it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Mike, you're amazing! Congrats.

Thanks for the positive vibes I'm receiving for my pesky ankle. Today we biked 16 miles and it was fine-no flex ion involved. It was like using an elliptical but the scenery was beautiful- visited friends in Charlestown where the USS Constitution is docked. Also put athletic tape over the Achilles and that seems to help.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

TomS/Roch - you can’t claim you live in Michigan if you can run and don’t join tens of thousands of others who do it for fun, fitness, and the memories too, not just yours but those of us who’ll never get to do it on our own.  DO IT!

= = = = = = =
            First Call Summer Marathon.
            Gotta love 26.2 miles in the sunshine in the First Call Summer Marathon in nearby Bothell, Washington, especially with three early starts ensuring that the volunteers can get the afternoon off. (runners too).
            8:00 a.m. - Regular Start
            7:00 a.m. - Early Start
            6:00 a.m. - Super Early Start
            5:00 a.m. - Remedial Start (me and three other runners).
            But what a difference 24 degrees and 24 years makes.

After surprising myself with a 6:38 in the Frank Maier Marathon in Alaska two weeks ago on only 34 miles of running in the previous four months since March, I was wondering how close I could get to six hours today.  Nope.
            .  .
            Though on pace for the first hour-and-a-half, the needed 14m/m or so pace deteriorated rapidly as temperatures soared to 79-degrees (vs. 55 in Juneau) to produce a 7hr45min finish. It also surprised me since my barefoot PR of 4:06 came when temperatures had reached 97-degrees in July 1990. Oh well.  Maybe being 47 years old then instead of the 71 now had something to do with it. Sometimes, I’m not sure I like this getting old business after all.  Oh well.
            Maybe there’ll be super-remedial start at 4 am next year.
            Nevertheless, in addition to seeing river otters, herons and rabbits, got to have a good time with the old fun and fitness gang (four septuagenarians and one 84-yo) who don’t let a clock tell us what a good time is anymore.
            Congratulations MikeE.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nevertheless, in addition to seeing river otters, herons and rabbits, got to have a good time with the old fun and fitness gang (four septuagenarians and one 84-yo) who don’t let a clock tell us what a good time is anymore.

A very worthy quote.

Congratulations, Mike!!

And I"m sure Tom is now agreeing to run the Crim.  Right, Tom???

Good luck on your race, Jay ~~

16 miles in the Community Forest today, 2nd weekend in a row.  My  . . . legs . . . are pooped.  It's non-stop climbing and descending, which is exactly what I need to prepare for Firetrails 50 in October.  I've been using Tailwind Nutrition in my water, and I think it's actually helping.  I need to order the "naked" flavor (no flavor) to see if mixing it with the other flavors helps tone down the sweetness.  But like I said, I think it's working.  It's 9:45 p.m. right now, though, and my legs are aching like they haven't ached in awhile.  Guess that means I'm training like I should be.

Tomorrow at EZ 7, then some yard work and housework.  Makes for a fast, not very relaxing weekend. 

Okay - Off to see if I can finally get to sleep.  Keeping fingers crossed . . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I hope Leslie go to Sleep...  I need to try that.

Good effort, Tet. Yes I think a lot of us worry about trying to keep up with our PR's of old, but that can be a fruitless effort at times. Yes, sometimes things fall together and a good time happens, but for the most part it's all about setting new experiences, like you mentioned. As I'm facing down a new AG, I keep trying to remember that, too.

6.6 mostly easy miles today, more than planned but just as nice in 75° sunny skies. Stayed inside doing chores too much... just before DS1 and his GF showed up it started raining! No, not more rain, right? Bleh... on our way to that record whether we like it or not.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike, congrats on 1st place at the 10k!  How far back was your DW's friend?   I'll bet your "brutally slow pace" for your 14 miles was speedier than I ever run. 

+1 on all counts!

Tet - well done on your marathon!

Twocat - speedy wacky racing!

Erika - sorry for your continued rainy streak....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hello everybody!  You guys all crack me up.  Seriously...I laugh more reading through these dailies than I do all day...hmmm...that might say more about how my days are going than how funny you all are.  But--anyway--thanks for being here.

I did the Senior Games 10K today.  the whole way there I was convincing myself that I had just as good a chance of winning than anybody else.  Plus...it helped that most of the top guys ran the 5k, yesterday.  So, I planned to go out with the leaders and fight as hard as I had to fight to stay with them and see if I could maybe out kick them at the end...at, least...that was the plan all the way to the starting line.  The gun went off and, before the ringing had left my ears, I had changed my race strategy and tried to get as much distance between them and me in the first mile as I could...I know...dumb strategy.  But...today...it worked.  I took 1st overall in 39:31.

Then I ran another 14.5 miles at a brutally slow pace to get in 3 hours for the day.

So...yesterday...I went out to the car to see if I could fix it myself.  Before I even opened the hood, though, I figured I'd start it and see if the problem just magically went away....and it did!  I drove the car today with no problem at all.  The SIL is going to look at it soon, anyway.

What?  Did you all hear that?  Hold on...yep...I thought that's who it was.  My couch is calling me...see ya!

Congrats on your win! Is this going to be the same course as the Nationals next year? What's it like? Flat, hilly, rolling?

I met the 2nd place guy a couple times back in the old college days, and we raced a few times.

Mike E

MM #5615

Is this going to be the same course as the Nationals next year? What's it like? Flat, hilly, rolling?

Yes, I think it is.  It's kind of a goofy course...it goes out about a mile--which is pretty flat--then it's a sharp turn back through the start.  Then it goes out another couple of miles--mile three to four is a slight incline--then another sharp turn a round back to the finish.  Before the race, everybody was talking about the long, big hill at mile 3.  I think you'll laugh when you see it.  So--will you be coming down for the track and road races?