Masters Running

Hump Day and April Fools - Wednesday April 1 (Read 34 times)

Maybe the joke's on me that no one has started the daily yet?

I can't do the recaps that Jay does, but I know you all are still out there.

From Starr's post, though, is TomS having surgery soon??

30 min of core/ST for me this a.m. (upper body only on the ST), followed by 15 min of icing.  The hammies seem to be calming down, so I must be doing something right.

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Leslie!  I was about to start the daily but you beat me to it!  Hey, god luck with your 40 mile race this weekend - are you still doing it?

I went for my first run today in over two weeks - I've had a sore throat that just wouldn't quit, but I think I'm finally getting better.  It hasn't slowed me down for hiking and having fun in Greece, but I didn't think I could run with my throat so swollen.  Anyway, i managed a huge 3.1 miles this afternoon, and it felt good!  Of course, it was at sea level - literally - I was running along the Messinian Gulf in Kardamyli, watching the waves lapping on the stony beach!

Now I'm drinking local wine and eating Kalamata olives that we bought at a farmer's market in Kalamata today - how cool is that?   Yeah, I know it's morning in the US, but it's dinner time here!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HI, Carolyn - How long are you guys over there?  I've been enjoying your pics on FB.  And what's up with your throat?  That's been going for about a week now, hasn't it?

Nope, not running the 40 miler on the 12th.    Maybe next year.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  I was trying to catch up but now it's all jumbled in my mind.  I love Sara Bareilles, Kalamata olives and popcorn.  And Robin's successful fund drive.  Gorillas with bunny ears, not so much.  Now who wants to address Peeps and matzoh?

Jay, you are so fast, that's fabulous.  Congrats on the AG placement with your speedwalking half.

Glad that diet's working, Slo.  I have been having a recurrence of itchy skin (I used to have eczema in the inner elbows so bad as a kid, my mom had be wear white gloves to bed or else I scratched myself to bleeding in my sleep) on my neck and elbows again.  I'm using Tree Tea Oil soap every day on it and that seems to be good--not 100%, but good.

Lame, congrats to DD and could you wear something Monty Pythonish so we can find and then flock to you at the finish (knock wood--good thing I have a natural pencil on my desk)?

Carolyn and Holly and TC and all ailing folks, get well yesterday.

If you are following the Marathon Bombing Trial on NBC, perhaps you saw the lawyer I used to work with in MA, David Hoose?  He was on Sunday and Monday...MA doesn't have the death penalty, but federal cases can invoke it.  Some years ago, David handled the case of a VA nurse charged with "euthanizing" her patients so the death penalty was a possibility.  Most MA attys don't have death penalty experience.

Well, and aren't you so glad I dropped by to do the civics lesson today, sorry...

Had lots of fun in VA--went to Lorton, a former prison that is now an artists' colony and Great FAlls, which (at least at this time of year) is spectacular, due to the high water  levels (melting snow, folks ).   Since I have no immediate family, my good, long-time friend is a real treasure to me.   Oh, and we also visited Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, a 75 acres spread donated to the state in 1980 by an academician couple.  Very lovely, until Leslie and I got chased by a protective goose (it is spring, I know, I know!).   He just put his head/neck down and tore after us...fairly quickly, too.

Thanks for the well wishes.  The rehab continues.  Even in the cold.  It was in the 20s Sunday morning in Reston.  Pretty much all morning.  I know, sunny and cold isn't going to get me ANY sympathy on this forum!   I wanted to be sub 4 and came in at 3:53 on a gentle rolling hills kind of course, so that's my last long run before Boston.

3 easy ones this am.  Still pleasant out this am, but the H&H are heading in; I will try not to complain.  You can fine me if I do.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hiya!  I was trying to catch up but now it's all jumbled in my mind.  I love Sara Bareilles, Kalamata olives and popcorn.  And Robin's successful fund drive.  Gorillas with bunny ears, not so much.  Now who wants to address Peeps and matzoh?

Together?  I like Peeps only when I've had a chance to leave them out for a week to get good and chewy.  And matzoh with peanut butter is really good, but probably not its intended purpose.

It's Tom W that's in line for hip replacement surgery, but (I think) not yet scheduled?

I keep hoping for it to be warm enough for shorts, but we're in a streak of excellent maple sugaring weather (below freezing at night and 40's during the day) and I'm not quite brave enough for that in the low 30's.  So I didn't make it out this morning, although not actually because of the temperature.

Just got back from a going away lunch for one of our field techs who is leaving after 13 years in the company.  We've done a lot of work together and I'll miss him.  I can only hope I get such a nice parting party when I depart (hopefully not for quite a while).

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Like many others on this thread I'm fighting a bug. It was really bad last week but slowly improving now. Looking forward to 5 warmer days in Brooklyn and Manhattan as of Friday.

Regardless of the way I felt, ran in shorts yesterday but this morning back to long pants as we did a couple of sunny, windy miles along the Charles. Maybe, like most 80 year olds I would heal faster if I was less active- or maybe not???

Marathon Maniac #957

i managed a huge 3.1 miles this afternoon, and it felt good!  Of course, it was at sea level - literally - I was running along the Messinian Gulf in Kardamyli, watching the waves lapping on the stony beach!

Now I'm drinking local wine and eating Kalamata olives that we bought at a farmer's market in Kalamata today - how cool is that?   Yeah, I know it's morning in the US, but it's dinner time here!

I love all of this!  Here I am, sitting at my desk, imagining waves lapping on a stony beach....mmmmm....sounds very nice.

Okay, I said I wouldn't run until after Thursday, but the dr. didn't actually tell me not to run, and that bike seat is just not that comfortable, and I was feeling pretty good, so I ran a few slow miles on the TM this morning.  3 miles total.

I think that pace bunny has disappeared into the distance....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I love all of this!  Here I am, sitting at my desk, imagining waves lapping on a stony beach....mmmmm....sounds very nice.

Just thinking the same thing Holly! Love all those photos you've been posting wildchild and I am glad you are feeling better. You too Holly, or that the infection is under control. smh on the running.

I love your posts Aamos and certainly remember the case of which you speak with the nurse. Sounds like your last long run/race went quite well. Good stuff. By the way, I am two week taperer and will actually taper far less for this one and focus more on time and pace for the Vermont City Marathon. of course the adrenaline rush will overtake me as I stand on the line in Hopkinson---always does!

Sorry for the bugs and ailments going around. I'll send hugs from a safe and antiseptic distance!

Ran 10.7 miles this morning with some MP miles in there, 6 miles with uphill and downhill repeats, on Tuesday and an easy six miles on Monday.

Wonderful news for your DD and DS Lamerunner---so glad to hear it and that you got to Whiteface too. We still dream of retiring in the Adirondacks.

Okay, back to my desk for a bit longer. I just finished a huge client report and need to get into editing and chart/graphs adjustment mode. It always feel so good to hit "send"

Dave59

I slept in a bit and I had a busy day so I was going to skip running, but I had time to fit in 3 miles so I did.

It's Cindy's birthday today so we are going out to dinner and then out shopping for a new tablet or computer.  Her iPad broke and her laptop is pretty old.  We are going to look at the Surface Pro first and see if that will do the trick.

Posted on the wrong day, so here it is again:

I am really liking the AMC series "Better Call Saul".  The season finale is already next week. I'm not sure if anyone has seen any of the episodes, but it's worth a look-see. 

I think I mentioned earlier that my DW and I are enjoying it, especially with the Breaking Bad tie-in. Not sure how popular it would be with someone who had not seen that series. And now Mad Men has only a few episodes left in its run... 

Dave, I hate hearing dog stories like that. One of my big fears, and not helped a few years ago with a similar too-close encounter!

Got my mile of swimming in again today, and it's starting to get easier to keep putting the laps in. Now it looks so nice outside that I'm planning on getting one of my bikes out this afternoon for the year's inaugural ride! It will be warmer tomorrow, but cloudy and rainy, so a better bet today in the sunshine and light breeze.

See ya later!

ETA: I got my "aquabike" day completed with a nice bike ride. A bit cooler than expected, but like with running I warmed up a lot after a few miles. In case you didn't know, some multisport events are starting to have an event called "Aquabike" for those who just want to swim and bike (good for people with running injuries, such as yours truly). This is another variation on the "Duathlon", which is run & bike. Not sure if they plan on inventing a swim-run event!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Not sure if they plan on inventing a swim-run event!

Roch - don't think I've ever heard of the aquabike (except when I used to enjoy dipping my head underwater during trail rides crossing  shallow ponds and lakes) but  the swim/run ones have actually been around for a while as “aquathons” (out here) or “aquathlons,” . . I guess.   I’ll bet there’s a few in your area that you’ll enjoy but full tri’s are better.
                        www.trifind.com/gs_aquathlon/AquathlonRaces.html

One of my favorite multi’s in those days was a spring ski-to-sea relay with

. . . (1) slalom course,

. . . (2) 5K x-c ski across/around lovely alpine meadows,

. . . (3) run down the five mile road to the highway for a

. . . (4) ten mile bike ride along the channel followed by a

. . . (5) one-mile kayak in it.

They loaned out kayaks for those of us sine one but, since it was a relay, I had to enter the last four events under aliases and tell ‘em upon arrival that the designated runner, etc. couldn’t make it so I’m doing the x-c ski, run, etc. for ‘em too. The RD caught on but still let me get last place.

Aamos - I never heard of the first two (or Sara Bareilles either), but, for the first time since I’ve been involved in Japan since 1966, bagged popcorn, even Jiffy Popcorn, has become a craze in supermarkets, convenience stores and specialty gourmet popcorn shops.  I even brought back some seaweed-flavored bags like the seaweed potato chips I love. Other flavors included the ubiquitous shrimp that’s in everything from potato chips to ramen too, green tea, corn consume, pizza, raspberry, blueberry, even spicy Korean kimchee flavors! No wonder I already miss Japan so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I wish I had more time to spend in here, but I really have to make it quick and get to bed.

Tonight was my last tough run before the marathon.  1.5 mile warm up in 11:29.  10 mile tempo in 1:07:39.  1.5 mile cool down in 13:11.  3 of the 10 mile tempo miles were into a 22 mph sustained wind with gusts of...who knows what...I do know they kicked my butt.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Hey, tet---are you back home, now?

SteveP

I'm glad you're enjoying Greece, WildChild.

On the way to a trail, we saw a Bald Eagle.

When we got to the trailhead, Tag was all fired up. Though we only went a couple of miles, I was just nice.

SteveP