Masters Running

Wednesday pre stuffing day (Read 41 times)

mrrun

Jay - hope you saw/heard the winds and rain, fed the cats and went back to sleep

Ribs - an article in the NY Times supports your food theory - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/27/dining/in-the-end-its-not-about-the-food.html?hpw&rref=dining

Safe travels and fleet feet to all the racers tomorrow!

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Marj, that's exactly what I did!

Opie, I never (well, almost never) look at my Garmin during a workout or race. I (silly person that I am) am still trying to master knowing my pace by feel rather than by watch. So I check my Garmin after a workout/race to check pace/distance.

Excellent presentation, Twocat! We have a modest portfolio that we put a lot of thought into setting up. Except for an occasional rebalance (once every year or two), we manage it by benign neglect, and we seem to be doing fine.

Is Ribs turning into our foodie philosopher? Good/interesting thoughts yesterday about pot pie, Thanksgiving, and the definition of eternity.

I'm glad everyone is being mindful of the weather, and especially slick surfaces, on your workouts.

If you are driving somewhere today or tomorrow, please be careful and arrive safely, even if it means being late.

A BIL and his wife arrived late yesterday afternoon to spend TG with us. They just had their offer on a house accepted, so they are very, very excited. They've been looking for about 2 years, so this is a major milestone. The house is a duplex, and they have a tenant on the other side, which is good. They eventually want to join both sides and turn it into a B&B with a gallery/shop. Big plans requiring a lot of work. It'll be fun to follow their exploits, as it was fun to spend time talking to them about the future over a few glasses of wine last night.

It was raining and blowing pretty hard at 4 o'dark this morning, and I decided not to go dodging puddles and fallen limbs. I've signed up for a turkey trot tomorrow morning, and this breaks my usual routine of a short, easy workout on the day before a race, just to stay loose. But the trot is for fun, so good prep isn't critical.

Have a greta Wednesday and Thanksgiving, whatever your plans!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...tet//............those Japanese Runners are amazing,,,,,,,,,a fascinating people

............opie//.......a little late, but Congratulations on your race

=============

.....19-degrees here, about 30-degress lower than Normal.....

25-min work-out

on the x-bike

mostly standing, but some Not-Standing

hopefully TheLeg will like it

since

it'll be standing 8-hours on solid concrete and a Chef's Mat (thanks tammy) today

.........................good running guys...................and Safe Travelling if you're on the road

eta-

VERY cool towcat//............nice to have a Thought Leader on the board

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

For some reason, when I wimp out on a planned run it makes me feel wrong the rest of the day. I was supposed to go out at 8AM with a group, but when I woke at 5AM with the wind rattling the siding, I just couldn't get up the mojo to go through with it. Tomorrow morning for sure!!

Hard to believe it's Thanksgiving Eve already and a shortened Christmas season right behind. My DS will be in this evening and we'll have our usual four for dinner tomorrow (me, DW, DS, and MIL), plus the tradition of watching our Lions blow another one and divvying up the leftovers. I'm looking forward to it!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Roch, as you know, your QB for the Lions is from Highland Park, a tony Dallas area.  Everyone down here has followed Matt Stafford from high school.  He sure took it to the Cowboys this season when he faked that he was going to spike the ball, then snuck it in for the winning TD.  Quite an athlete.

Took Lucy von Sheltie for a 1.1 mile walk with a couple of strides tossed in.  Race tomorrow.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

No run for me today.  I am running a 5-mile Turkey Trot tomorrow and it seemed like a good day to rest.  Plus, I went into work a half hour early so I could leave a half hour early.  Given tomorrow's race, I plan to do most of my cooking tonight.

20 minutes of weights and core.

Tomorrow morning's forecast is to be around 19 degrees with 20-30mph winds.  I tend not to race in the winter, because I perform terribly (even worse than normal) in cold temps, so this will likely be the coldest race I have ever run....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

5 miles on icy roads with a cold north wind.  Just the way I like it (as long as I don't slip & fall.)

Just slogging along here in Michigan.  Working a lot.  Nothing much else to say.

Roch, as you know, your QB for the Lions is from Highland Park, a tony Dallas area.  

There's a Highland Park in this area too -- a small city completely surrounded by Detroit -- and "tony" is the last word you'd ever apply. It's fallen a long, long way from when it was home to Henry Ford's original Model-T factory. It's such a grim place these days that a local saying is "Suburbanites don't go to Detroit, and Detroiters don't go to Highland Park!"

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

C-R

Safe travels for those on the roads.

Thanksgiving football and meals. Let the prep begin.

Ran a short 3.1 at lunch. My legs felt like lead. I guess two hours of soccer last night took its toll. And I'm not 26 anymore. Running with a new group of masters tomorrow for a 10-14 miler. I met these fellows at the XC championship a couple of weeks past. It's nice to meet more people through running. They are serious though. They do winter track work-outs. I guess I better be on my best behavior.

I hope its warmer than what Holly's weather people report. Brrrrr.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

I passed the 2000 mile mark for the year on my lunchtime run today!  Smile   Gorgeous day for it, too, 60° and sunny!   Last year I didn't get to 2000 miles till December 30th.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice going wildchild!

4 miles with Hudson and we both got soaked---excellent puddle splashing and at a relaxed pace.

Happy Holiday to all who celebrate and safe travels if you will be on the go

Twocat, nice presentation.  I could have done without the director's touch of cutting to your hands gesticulating and your torso!  The person speaking was much more interesting.

Left work at noon.  Came home to run 5 Remi miles in 54F and sunshine.  That needs repeating.  54F AND SUNSHINE!!!!!  Wqoohooo!  And a Solarmix came on m iPOD too!!!   Life is Good!

Door#6 was a mirror.  The guy was so vain!!!!   Scratch!  But he initiated me into the world of scotch...and I kind of get scotch now....something I refused to like before.  So not all was lost.

Door#7 is a fellow Canadian and went to my undergrad university.  And he's younger than me!  Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild - nice job!

Enke - good luck with door #7!

Went after work and got my packet after work for tomorrow's race, then home and baked apple pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato soufflé, hash brown casserole, then made fresh cranberry-apricot topping (for goat cheese) and broccoli salad.  Tomorrow, when I get back from the race, all I will have to do is do the ham and glaze and heat up the other dishes and bread, and make the salad with apples, pears, cranberries and citrus vinaigrette.   Not too fancy but good.

I am already a bit "fluffy" and we have barely entered the season.  I better start running more or eating less!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I passed the 2000 mile mark for the year on my lunchtime run today!  Smile   Gorgeous day for it, too, 60° and sunny!   Last year I didn't get to 2000 miles till December 30th.

Congratulations!

10 miles for me today (first run outside since Sunday). First 4 miles chatting away with the Easy Pacer, the rest in the dark up and down Kermel grade.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Good luck to all you who are racing, tomorrow.  I came very close to skipping my tempo run tonight and running an 8k in the town I work in.  I decided the hour drive there and the $35 entry fee...and the fact that DW would be a little bit irritated with me...I decided to pass on it.

Which meant I did my tempo run, tonight.  After a 2 mile warm up in 16 something, I did 10 miles in 1:06:00.  ThenI did another 2 mile cool down for a total of 14 miles in 1:38:32.  My dang headlamp went out on me again, too.  Frustrating.

Oh, hey--Enke--good luck with number 7.  Wasn't number 7 the name of a mule in someTV show?  Grizzly Adams, maybe.  Anyway...you probably shouldn't bring that up.

Yeah, the camera work was actually kind of distracting while I was listening to Twocat.  But, it was very good.  I wish I was smart.

How many loads of laundry did you do today, Holly?

Okay--I gotta go.  I have to get up at 6 and stuff a bird.