Masters Running

Good Running Sunday (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

Three-and-a-half days of GS training must have allowed me to take off at the Outer Point Turn-around at mile 13.1 of Saturday’s Frank Maier Marathon a little southeast of erika-land and run without stopping at all for 11 straight miles back before pretty much petering out but getting a GS assist pulling my hand to get me down the final stretch for a 22 minute negative split, probably the first one in ten years, if not more.

This is priceless. GS assisting grandpa to run to the finish line. I hope there is picture of this epic event1

So many great posts to read (thanks Twocat for the recap).

Today turned out to be a surprisingly productive day (my DH is working this weekend). Being alone in the house with no major plans for the weekend is such a treat,  so I put on my clean diva butterfly wings with Early jazz on the Bluetooth sound system and cleaning our bedroom I did. Four hours later (which included a quick trip to Home Depot to buy an new vacuum cleaner since the older one die in action) I am now finally done. Spring clothes finally put away. Winter boots down to the basement they went. Curtains dusted, bathroom scrubbed, sheets washed and bed made. I feel very productive!

Running, I did go out for a 6 easy miler, which gives me a 47 miler week, the highest weekly mile in a long time. I need to start working on the speed too.

Raoch , enjoy your trip to MI. Nice prime number for you for July.

Holly, were those 18 miles pain free. BTW, when is your next marathon?  Interesting story, I hope they don't call you as a witness.

Has anyone heard from Tamster and Tramps?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

OHR for me - it was IRC and a relaxing run to, around, and back from Freshpond Reservoir.

Every month is ice cream month - the Northeast consumes the most ice cream in the country - we eat it in the winter also!

Yep - in fact, if my training wans a bit before a race, I fuel up with ice cream, hoping that if I don't have the muscles, I will have the extra calories to get me over the finish line.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

evanflein

I don't know the numbers but I know Alaskans eat a lot of ice cream, too. Not here though, it really doesn't agree with me. 

Nice long run, Holly, and keep us posted on the car thing.

Too much to comment on, you guys are a busy bunch!

I ran the Gold Discovery Run this morning, which is 16.3 (or .5, it seems to change) miles of hilly fun, first half on trails, second half on roads. Didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped, especially given the good training runs I've had for this race (which I usually don't do). Still got 1st in AG, but missed my time goal (sub-2:10) with a 2:15. Oh well, I placed well enough to keep my points up in the series. Now to finish getting ready for having company over (my sister and her DH, and DS1 and his GF).

For anyone interested, and especially for Twocat since I know he loves hilly trail runs, here's the race web site with elevation links and maps. It really is a fun run, and the mud wasn't too bad this year!

Congrats Erika!  You still rocked the course!

Terrific photo Robin!

Twocat, I have a washer and screw I need to buy.....several months ago, I found this weird screw and curved washer sitting on the floor.  I saved them for about 3 months, wondering where they had come from, absolutely couldn't figure it out, then I finally threw them out.  Turns out it fell off one of my Ikea dining chairs.  And the chair is now broken.   D'oh!  And they don't sell replacements.

Tet is on to me.  Yup, I got to Blue Eyes place yesterday, after my run, thinking, as most sweaty runners would "hot shower, hot shower".  I almost completely ignored him, so zeroed in on that shower was I.  He was thinking "hot enke, hot enke".  Finally I acknowledged him with a quick hug and kiss and went straight for the shower!  Poor guy, working so hard for a sweaty hug. Smile

I did 9 miles at the horse trails.  The first mile was sproinky, but the next 8 less than.  Lots of walk breaks, but I got it done.  That made 16 miles this weekend, a huge accomplishment for me, with no knee pain either, and given how little I've been running lately, I am very pleased.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

You know, Erika--I get it.  Yeah, you won your age group--and that's great--but you didn't get your goal time.  I completely understand.

I'm glad to hear your knee is holding up Enke--and that you found somebody who doesn't mind a sweaty hug.  Maybe he ain't all that bad, after all.

Great picture, Robin...although that kid in the middle doesn't look too happy...his shoes probably came untied.

So...HemosaBoy--are you taking that job that was offered to you?  Good luck with that decision.

I did 6.2 miles in 47:50.  Boy, was it humid.  If I had tried to do yesterday's run today, I would have died...seriously...I would have figured I was tougher than any old humidity and gone out just as fast...and I would have died.  I'm glad I didn't do yesterday's run today.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

HermosaBoy

So...HemosaBoy--are you taking that job that was offered to you?  Good luck with that decision.

Well, after some negotiation to allow me to continue to coach high school track and cross country it looks like I accepted the job.  Then I went for a run.  As I was walking in the door my phone was ringing -- the job I had the interview with on Friday is going to make an offer.

Oh boy -- when it rains...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob