Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 6.10.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Quick walk-by post as I get ready to leave for an 8am meeting.

Tammy, I would definitely write to the RD about the problems with the race, especially since they were many and significant. He/she should take it as constructive input, and use it to make the race better next year. If not, maybe they need a new RD. I actively solicit comments after our races because I want to know what needs fixing. Racers see things that I don't, so I rely on their input.

5.4 RW miles under cloudy, lowering skies. It was muggy, and it felt like I was constantly pushing against a wall. But it was a decent workout, and I got it done before the rain started.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Got up at J 0'clock and ran 12 miles at a 9:05 pace, lots of the miles at Lakes Park.  I ought to send in a donation  there.  So I am not proud of my weekend running; I posted to point out that so much of what we do is in our heads.  We hold ourselves back by making obstacles out of speed bumps or just over thinking things.  Or I do. 

Sayhey, I have some questions.

1. Do you eat before you go out for a run?  Anytime I think I'll be gone for over an hour, I usually eat something.  Nowadays, that is usually in the early morning, so I have a piece of toast with peanut or almond butter.  (And coffee, always have coffee.  Strong.  Boston strong, Coffee strong.  used to live in Northampton, where the coffee is strong, and so are the women.   Yes, had some this am.  What, how much?  Lots.  WHy?)   I know that some experts advise going out on nothing and training your system to use its glycogen stores, but I need all the energy I can get in the pre dawn....unless there's a really good reason not to eat?

1A. [That's not breakfast, btw--after the run, I eat lots of hot cereal; does anyone really stick with just a quarter cup of oatmeal??  I start with a 1/3 cup and add almonds, a few spoonfuls of some other grain (millet or quinoa or whatever's around), fruit, etc.]

2. Last year, I gave DH my 300-something Garmin when his broke and got a FOrerunner 10 as I realized I wasn't using all the bells and geegaws on the fancy model.  I've been relatively happy with it, major complaint you have to swtich screens as the screen only shows 2 things at a time.  It was nice to see pace, distance and time elapsed all at once, but it just involves pressing a button.   OTherwise, it meets my needs and I like that it is cheaper.

Well, the watch is still working, but it's developed some issue such that my computer doesn't recognize it.  I've contacted the Garmin folks and I can send it in to them, etc. etc., but I'm thinking about getting another watch, then fixing the Garmin if possible and having it around for a back-up (which we don't have right now.)

Any recommendations, thoughts, etc about what device you have and love (or hate)?    What about other than Garmin?  There's a Pulse something out there, right?  I'm so ignorant.

3. Speaking of which, here's the last question.  (warning, non-running, except for it's a listening question).  I usually listen to NPR or pre-recorded music when I run.  Every now and then, I put on a different station just to stay in touch with the world.  Anyone ever listen to Elvis Duran in the morning?   Especially, the "Phone Tap" segment?  I am stunned at the personal nature of this feature, and that people agree to having it broadcast after they learn they've been duped.  [Quick explanation: a "friend" contacts the radio staff about a situation ripe for ridicule, e.g., a woman who is getting married and has a dress in for alterations.  The staff then calls the woman, purports to be manager of the dress shop and apologizes for the intern who tried on the dress while suffering intestinal distress, pooped on the dress and now they can't get out the stains.  The woman goes off on a heated and verbally abusive tirade until she is advised she's been "phone tapped," at which point she cracks up (and then evidently gives her permission to use the tape on the air.)  Huh?

This is entertaining?  It just makes me feel uncomfortable.   Am I an old coot?

HAve fun today!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Good morning Jay and Aamos.

Aamos, I tend to not eat anything before my runs in the morning, except when I am planning to run more than 12 miles, then I would eat a small bowl of oatmeal. Yes, I like my coffee strong too when I drink it. I tend to drink my paraguayan mate on a daily basis instead of coffee.

Good luck with the garmin. Keep us posted.

Jay, way to stick to your training today even with the muggy weather.

No running for me this morning,but I did a half hour pilates workout. My DH joined me during half of the video, which was fun.

Joggers meet up tonight, then I think my son and other kids have another group biking outing planned for my butterfly wings.

Carpe diem my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

I got up for an early a.m. coupla miles. I don't know how they know, but Bailey and Bella knew the difference of me waking up thinking I should get up and take them for a run, versus waking up and heading for the shower to get ready for work. I barely had my legs over the side of the bed and they were happily greeting me like they knew something was up. I swear they can read my mind.

Aamos, whether or not I eat something depends on time, distance and what I ate the evening before. Lately, I have not been doing much in terms of mileage, but even when I would get up early on the wknds for a long run, I would generally eat a small something if I was running over an hour. Like you, it was usually a slice of toast with some pnut butter. Or if I had a clif bar, or the like, it might be a half of one of those.

Thanks for input on giving feedback to the RD. I'll re-read my letter again and make sure it's not overly critical and probably shoot it off to her. 

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

That's the spirit Tammy.  You're a good writer and I know you can phrase it so it sounds helpful "for next year's race" etc.

Aamos, never anything to eat except before a race.  As for coffee, yes by all means, but I have to be careful now. Coffee is a diuretic, so they discourage you from drinking it after a prostatectomy. I generally drink half a cup though.

1/3 cup of uncooked steel cut oats makes a pretty good-sized portion, and I always add fruit to it:  raisins, blueberries etc.  Sunday night we had a big family dinner and for fun I served fresh peaches and cream for dessert.  Travis, whose birthday it was, didn't want his, so I saved it and put it in with my oatmeal yesterday.  Oh was that good!

I'm going to boast now a bit. On Sunday we took Hudson for a week-long course at TCU in Ft. Worth (40 miles away). It's a high school challenge, 38 seniors, and they study finance all day and some nights.  There was homework to do as preparation, which I helped him do.  At the end of the week, they are given a large fake sum of money, $100,000 or so, and they "invest" it and report in periodically on how they are doing.

So before going there, I taught him EBITDA, key ratios, how to read balance sheets and income statements etc. and on his first day when depreciation was being taught, he asked a good question on the accountant's role in advising how to depreciate equipment based on rapid profit growth in a company, for tax advantages. I was really proud of him.

5 miles today, 3 running and 2 walking.  Nice cool day here.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Cloudy and muggy here but not raining yet.  I ran about 6.5 miles around town. Legs still kind of feel the weekend activities, but a decent run.  Rest day yesterday, except for a walk in the evening. The weather held off well enough that DH and DS  could play some tennis.  I had a call to finalize our plans for the Wildcat Trail Race coming up at the end of June, so dinner was a bit late, but we survived.

Tammy, I agree on contacting the RD. If he is any good, he will appreciate constructive feedback; if not, there is nothing more you can do, but at least you will have tried.  Each year after the Manchester Marathon we have a "lessons learned" discussion/list, and we value runner feedback.   There is usually a crankypants or two, but most people are constructive; actually  for us, most are positive. The hills get the biggest complaint, but we cannot remove those!

Great running continues for Amy, bravo!  On the food thing, I don't usually eat more than a banana if I am running early and for less than 10 miles.  On weekends, if I am running longer and starting later, I might have an english muffin or similar so I don't get too famished by the time I finish.

I have no Garmin. Just Timex and internal GPS.  I have sworn off both Garmins and minivans, and so far, so good!

Fletch

Greetings, all.  Thanks for the words of welcome.  Probably wasn't a good time for me to start participating in a new group.  For any golf fans out there, you may know the US Open is this week, followed by the Women's Open next week, here in North Carolina.  I work for a local radio station, and we are EXTREMELY busy covering the events.  On top of that, with a shortage of hotel rooms for all the guests, many local residents open their homes to guests, as DW and I have done.  We will have boarders from today through Sunday, and then possibly again next weekend.  But I wanted to at least keep in touch, and comment on some of the races especially.

Irishguy - nice run in the Newburg Half.  Sounds like a great event, and a good time catching up with the cyber-friends.

fatozzig - being a new runner, that elevation profile scares the crap out of me!  Way to hang in there.

mariposai - I love the views running here in North Carolina, but I gotta say, that Winthrop Marathon looks like a beautiful run!  Incredible pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

Holly - I saw your report and your time in your race.  My first thought was, "I haven't been with this group long enough to have any frame of reference.  Don't know if that was a good time...slower than expected...what she was looking for.  So I don't know what to say."  Then it hit me (kinda like a whack on the head in the v8 commercials) - "Dude - she just ran a 50k!  You're struggling to get 20 miles a week, and she JUST RAN A 50K!  How 'bout saying...Awesome race, Holly.  Or maybe...Great run, Holly.  Or I wanna be like you someday, Holly."  So...all of that!  But just so you know, once I get to know you better, I may come with a "what, were you dragging a boat anchor?"   Seriously, I am in awe of that kind of running.  Great race.

I know I've probably missed some racers.  And I don't mean to slight any of the rest of you.  You're all running great, and you inspire me.  I sometimes feel like I HAVE to get out for a run, just so I don't feel like an RA slacker!

Spent Saturday preparing for our boarders.  Sunday morning, did my 4.25 mile "Breakfast Run."  DW, and my favorite breakfast spot is 4.25 miles from the house.  So while she runs errands, I run to the restaurant.  She meets me there with a clean shirt (which the other diners probably appreciate) and we enjoy some good blueberry pancakes!  Made it out Monday morning for 4 miles, through horse country, just as the sun was rising.

Hoping to squeeze in some runs between all the happenings for the next two weeks.  I'll check back in here as I can.  Nice running everyone.

Mike E

MM #5615

Through horse country? Does she bring you clean shoes, too?

Fletch

Mike E - That's funny that you ask...the place we like to eat is a little, hole in the wall, cinder block restaurant located on the grounds of the harness track, beside the stables.  The Harness Track restaurant serves the groomers, trainers, drivers, etc. that work those stables.  Which means most of the regular customers throughout the week have come straight from jobs like shoveling out the horse stables.  but the food is so good, the golf crowd joins in on the weekends.  So I guess the answer is - I put on the clean shirt so they don't have to smell my sweat, but I don't worry about the shoes because half the people in there smell like horse poop anyway.

evanflein

Mike, the restaurant meet up was Sunday. The horse country run was Monday. Pay attention!

Lamerunner, I remember the Manchester Marathon feedback after I ran that. It was just two things, as I recall: the water cups were too full and hard to grab (the kids didn't let go!) and the ambulance idling at the finish line made for some pretty icky fumes as you're trying to recover from the run. Other than that, it was great! Hilly, yes, but as you said, not much you can do about those!

That Hudson is going to go far. He's got the right balance of smarts, wits, and mischievousness. Good job!

Aamos, I try not to run in the morning. But when I do (like in AZ last week), I don't usually eat anything. My normal run time is noonish or after work. I looked at the Garmin 10 recently, because my 305 is giving me issues every now and then and I'm thinking of getting a new one. Like you, I don't use most of the bells and whistles on the 305 at all (training plan? ha, can't be bothered to set one up. heart rate monitor? I think I know where it might be....) and was looking for something simpler. Always interested to hear what others use. And yes, way too personal and I don't like those kinds of practical jokes anyway.

I was going to run at lunchtime today but kind of missed my opportunity. I have a 1 p.m. meeting, so will go after that. It could rain though, and I don't like coming back to my desk after a drenching.... What to do, what to do....

MIkeE -

Amy - I never eat before my week day runs, I always eat something before my Sat LR's, and Sunday's it's a crap shoot, depending on if I wake up starving. If not, then I'll take something with me to eat when I do get hungry.  Also, during the week I only do some recovery intake of calories on my speed days (Tues), which is usually milk with Ovaltine.  I then eat breakfast at my desk around 8:30 when I get to work.

As for the program - I don't find much humor in that kind of thing anymore.

As for the Garmin - My big thing is it needs to hold a charge for a min of 10 hours, and it needs to track well in the trees.  So far, the Garmin 305 and the Garmin 310XT (I think that's name) fit this bill for me.  My 305, I fear, is on the way out, but it's expensive (usually over $300), so unless I'm feeling extra wealthy, I'll probably go for a 310, which I've seen for around $200 or less.

Coach has talked me about getting more specific in my speed work training  and wants to use Jack Daniels like he has throughout his running career.  I've never looked at one of his programs, but I know lots of people use them.  Coach knows my less than enthusiastic attitude about speed work, so we're going to give it a go, ease into things, and see how I like it.  It's not that I've never done speed work, it's just that he's never told me, "You need to try and hit such and such target," which is what I guess we'll be doing.

Since I haven't run a road race in forever, he had me do 6 miles with 2 miles at tempo pace this morning and gave me a speed to shoot for.  I was happily surprised that it wasn't that bad.  I managed to clock 9:17 and 9:20 - with a few second stop for traffic on the 2nd T mile - and although I was happy to be done with them, it wasn't horrific.  I was especially pleased with the times because my legs felt so heavy this morning when I first started running.  Still recovering from Saturday's slugfest.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - coffee, and yes, a nice 16-18 oz cup of strong coffee, but nothing else unless I plan to run more than 16 miles (or, like Leslie said, wake up starving) and then like you it is generally a piece of toast.

As for the program, I think a lot of morning radio shows do various bits like that.  I am not particularly interested, so driving to work I am constantly switching away from them to whatever station is playing music.  On LRs I switch between music and audio books that I have loaded onto my mp3 player.

Ribs - Hudson is a smart cookie. 

Fletch - all the 50Ks I have run are trail runs, and each course is different from the others, so you can't really compare race times from one to the next.  Saturday's course was one that I have run 5 times, with my best time at 5:36 and the other 3 times were between 6:03 and 6:06 (I just went back and looked it up), so I did have a basis of comparison.  Given that the conditions were fairly dry this weekend, with little mud to deal with, I was hoping to break 6 hours, and was disappointed that I not only didn't do that but that I had a

PW for the course.  Still, just to finish, and do so without injury, is always a victory.

No run for me today.  I woke up to pouring rain and an upset tummy and decided, hey, I don't REALLY have to run today.  So I didn't. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hey!  Is this "brag about you kid day"?  Well...okay...

Hamilton Elementary School 

Melissa (Missy) Monson has been tapped to serve as the next principal of Hamilton Elementary School, replacing Principal Diane Merritt, who is retiring at the end of this school year. 

Monson is currently an assistant principal at Eisenhower Elementary School in Coon Rapids, but actually began her educational career as a kindergarten teacher at Hamilton in 1998. In addition to teaching kindergarten and first grade at Hamilton, Missy has also taught second grade at Crooked Lake Elementary School in Andover, and worked as a district intervention specialist and instructional coach. She was an administrative intern at Oxbow Creek Elementary School in Champlin before becoming an assistant principal at Eisenhower in 2012. 

Monson earned a master's degree in elementary education and literacy development from St. Mary's University-Minnesota, to go with her bachelor's degree in elementary education from St. Cloud State University. She also earned her administration licensure from St. Mary's.

According to Associate Superintendent Mary Wolverton, Monson is known by her colleagues as a "true leader" and someone who is creative, resourceful and flexible. She is also someone with deep understanding of instructional strategies, and works hard to provide support to teachers as well as students.

Yep--that's my kid.  Oh--I ran 8.3 miles in 1:03:40.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, congrats to Missy!   Seems that all the RA masters' kids are above average - like Lake Woebegone!

lamerunner - so glad you're coming to the VT50!  Looking forward to meeting you!  Do you live close enough to commute, or would you like to share accommodations with me and Mike and Holly?

5 miles around the neighborhood this afternoon.  When I'm just doing a short run it doesn't quite seem worth it to drive to a trail - the closest is about 6 miles away.  But even running on the dirt roads around here, the views of the continental divide are spectacular, and the wildflowers are beautiful.  And the hills are steep... this is the elevation profile for my routine 5 miler in the neighborhood:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Holly, that's how I decide it's time for a rest day. Life gets in the way, it gets too late, I don't feel like it, it's pouring rain, whatever. Sounds like a rest day!

Mike, congrats to Missy, that's quite a promotion and it sounds like she's well respected by her peers.

I didn't get out earlier today, but left right at 5:10 for a trail run! I haven't run nearly enough trails this year so far, mainly because the conditions haven't been great (kinda wet). We haven't had a real wet spring/summer so far, but it's been cooler than in past years and that seems to affect how dry or wet the trails are. But the main thing was all the fallen trees from the wind we've had this spring! Anyhow, did the first 3+ miles of the Equinox course, and back the same way. Legs were saying "what is this hilly, springy, rooty stuff we're covering??" but we survived. Tomorrow will be a run home from work day, rain or not.

Got a few more things in the garden tonight. I'm so far behind, but with work, travel, apartment stuff.... oy, it's been a tough spring. I'm glad I'm getting it in before the 15th. So far, I've planted carrots and beans (seeds), and broccoli, cauliflower, romaine and red leaf lettuce from seedlings. Still need to plant the squash and chard seedlings, potatoes (might actually need to buy local seed spuds....), spinach and whatever else catches my eye at the local nursery. I think this is the latest I've ever gotten my garden in since 1992, which was our first year in this house and a very (very) late spring.