Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 2.24.14 (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, the worst place to be is a seductive injury that doesn't hurt all the time.

This is so true...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Amy.  And it's nice to see you around here again!!

Yes, I will have The Hub as crew and am hoping against hope my friend, Karen, volunteers to come down for it.  She is the perfect crew person: bossy, won't let you moan and groan too much, and pushes you out of the aid stations.  Shorty's been to one race and will be a bit over his head alone, but we'll see.

My goal this year is two 50-milers with no pacer - Mt. Hood and Firetrails.  We'll see what happens!

I forgot to add re the race Saturday - I was about 4.5 miles into it when I heard a noise behind me.  Thinking it was a mtn biker, I turned to look and get out of his/her way.  This lady goes blowing by me running . . . and pushing a stroller!!  Just when ya think yer doin' a good job . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

HI All,

Some thoughts on being away from RA for the better part of a couple of years...or maybe it's more than that....like 4 or 5 or something.

I miss the support and encouragement.  I miss providing support and encouragement.  I miss all you makebelieve people.  Feels like something is missing.

When I come back to post and read, I feel like I have to give an excuse or a reason for being away for so long.  I have a lot of them but I know you all don't really think I owe you one or 10.  Just not enough TIME is a big one though.

I wish I could check in here every day and have something interesting to post about life or my run or my recovery from....well, getting older.  There isn't usually anything about my run that strikes me as interesting so I just lurk, laugh, and leave.

So today's run was interesting.  Instead of running slowly for 3/4 mile, stretching for a few minutes, running a little faster for 2 or 3 miles, stretching, then running slowly for 3/4 mile (are you asloeep yet?), I ran slowly for 3/4 mile, stretched a little, ran slowly for 1/4 mile, then ran a little faster for 2.5 miles, didn't stretch, but jogged slowly for another mile.  What made it interesting, though, was the black ice.  The paved trail I run on is plowed pretty regularly during the winter, which I don't take for granted.  Last week it was the best it's been all winter, in spite of our 2' snowstorm on Thursday-Friday the week before.  Today it was slick enough that I had to walk a few times, jog gingerly a few times (as I didn't see the ice in time to stop), and start running faster again.  I think there was something good about that whole "not being able to maintain the easy running pace for more than a minute or two at a time" thing.

I have more thoughts on coming back around after being away for a long time.  But I'll save them for the next time I come around, which hopefully will be really soon.

Brian

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Brian--I know how you feel about having no time.  I read through everything every day--all throughout the day so I don't get behind too much--but I just don't have enough time to post like I would like to anymore.  Dang job!  Dang church obligations!  Dang wife!  Anyway...I post when I can and just lurk all the rest of the time.

Still no running for me.  I, too, am having some Achilles issues...which flared up again two marathons ago.  The frustrating thing is--I'll take a couple weeks off and it won't do any good.  I think I need to have the prolotherapy again...but we'll see.

Okay--I guess my time is up.  See ya next time!

3.4 miles pre dinner time with the dog.  About the only time today that it wasn't raining too much.  I always seem to be lucky that way.

Leslie, two 50 milers!!  You really are amazing.

BTY - welcome back!  No excuses needed.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I have more thoughts on coming back around after being away for a long time.  But I'll save them for the next time I come around, which hopefully will be really soon.

Brian

It is sooo good to see you back, Brian. We are  so glad to see you posting again.

and yes, we hope that you will come around again very soon!

Well, Winter finally decided to show up here. Snow, wind, freezing ice, the whole thing! .

Well, I guess it is still officially winter and winter is going to do what winter wants to do.

3 miles today on the TM during winter wellness plus an hour of XT. A great way to spend the evening with my new pals who, to my surprise came out of their warm homes to exercise.

Watching the closing Winter Olympics ceremony here (thank goodness for the ability to record programs). You know, I will miss watching the events. I sure have been inspired by the athletes and the hours and years they worked to be there.

Ohhh, my sweetest news today came from my son's roommate, Alex.

Text: Other mama, I just ran my first full mile without stopping - ever !!!! She is training to run her first 10k at the Omak Orchards in Bloom. Talk about inspiration. From couch to 10k. I smiled big, of course.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too posie.

Is Alex the ambidextrous chopsticks diva who studied in China too?

What a great Olympics with ties to the 0.01 in a couple of the alpine events and the first four finishers in the 50K on the last day (just like the marathon in the summer Olympics) within one second of each other.  It took us twice as long in those pre-skating days. However, I wish they could take the distance skating out on a river or big lake though instead of inside tight ovals. 
                1.  Alexander Legov. . . . . . . . . .1:46:55.2 /  0.0
                2.  Maxim Vylegzhanin. . . . . . . .1:46:55.9 / +0.7
                3.  Ilia Chernousov. . . . . . . .. . . 1:46:56.0 / +0.8
                4.  Martin Johnsrud Sundby. . ..1:46:56.2 / +1.0
                The superimposition of alpine skiers’ lines through the gates was a real highlight. 

I was hoping the ancient one's article was going to be about pit stops along the way that some of the ultra-goddesses, with back-up from mikeE, have mentioned before too.
                ps enke - wildchild and I were wondering a while back if  you ever fixed on your 50th birthday 50 miler?  Vermont?

Posie's got until Bastille Day to do hers.

Thanks divechief for the great picture as always of dov.,,, I mean showing that Bromptons means folding bikes like are necessary for taking cycles on the trains in Japan.  However, what good are they over here as I think the Washington ferries still have special bike areas, don’t they?  The wheels look too small for such a pro cyclist as dove used to be?  Thanks.  Let me know when she talks you into a 24-hour run too.

Dove with 3 little Bromptons

By the way,  the only way I could even hope to hang with Dove

is that she ran a 24 hour race last weekend.

Dave

ps brian - there’s enough guys here already who are actually running once-in-a-while so posting every couple of years is just fine.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie, two 50 milers!!  You really are amazing.

BTY - welcome back!  No excuses needed.

+1 to both

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."