Masters Running

The Ides of October, 10.15.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

This is just a quick walk-by to check in and say hello.

Hello.

I'm still nursing my left leg, trying to get my hamstring/glute to calm down so I can start racewalking again. Today, I woke at 3, read for about half an hour, sorta snoozed for about 15 minutes, and then gave up the ghost and got on with it. I went a scootch over 4 mile, doing only 'regular' walking, but at a quickish pace. Nice moonless morning with temps in the low 40. and a clear, cloudless sky. I'd like a nap, but I have way too much work to do, which is what woke me at 3 in the first place - I'm afraid of what I'm going to forget to do, so maybe I need to start making lists for the next day before I go to bed, at least till things calm down in early Nov.

Have a greta Ides!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Off the bike in 47-degree fog-turning-to-sun for a 75-minute, 4.5 mile mostly-running commute for the first time running since the Portland Marathon with the Japan Joyfuls on 10/4.  Hope to run Sunday’s UW 10K Husky-Dash in less time than that.

In the meantime, one of the trivia I’ll try at our UW Class of ‘65 Fiftieth Reunion Dinner tonight that everyone in Seattle should get stumped all three of the contestants on last night’s final jeopardy:
      What U.S. landmark celebrated its 50th anniversary
      in 2012 by repainting the roof to the original galaxy gold?”
      Of course, I knew because it was the finale of my freshman year

in 1962 as I watched ‘em build it up-and-up and paint it from my dorm room.
      It seems to happen all the time but, oddly enough, even though he obviously didn’t know the correct answer, a 12 day winner with over $400,000 to his credit got ousted when he bet nearly all his day’s $17,000 on a wrong answer he obviously knew was wrong while the day’s winner (with nearly the same $17,000) bet a couple of hundred dollars on another wrong answer he obvously knew was wrong to advance to tonight..
      I wonder if Robin knows why so many contenstants continually bet the house on answers they know are wrong, even betting their entire takes on answers they know will end them up with zero winnings and are so wrong they even put question marks after 'em?  weird
      ps jay - maybe having a list will take your mind off it and get a better sleep. Also, keeping a pad and pencil on a bed stand or under the pillow might work too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E runs a training run of 13 miles that is close to my HM PR.  I just want to say I hate him!

I ran a few miles today.  Felt fine.  We will see how my hip flexor feels throughout today and tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I wonder if Robin knows why so many contenstants continually bet the house on answers they know are wrong, even betting their entire takes on answers they know will end them up with zero winnings and are so wrong they even put question marks after 'em?  weird

Why would they do that if they know they are wrong?

(((Jay's Owie)))

DH said he no longer needs to get up at 5:00am for the winter, and we can set the alarm for 5:30 instead.  While I am going to enjoy that extra half hour of sleep, that will cut 30 minutes off of my morning workouts, too.  Hmmm.  I will think on this...

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 41 degrees.

Last run for 3 weeks, since I am getting a couple of dental implants tomorrow and he said NO RUNNING FOR 3 WEEKS.  He was pretty serious about it.  Time to put the bike on the trainer and dust off the P90X videos.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....Easy Does it Jay........

tet///.........anytime I ever bet I pick wrong.........but I can't say it's on Purpose

============

..........well, did a 30-min poolrun in 22-min

checked the World AquaJogging Record,

and

unpacked my bags to Finland

Aquajogging World Championships

HH Walk Tomorrow

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

moebo

Hello all!

Jay, I know what you mean about those 3 am wake-ups when you have too much going on. I hope the list helps, and that your sore hamstring/glute calms down very soon.

SteveP, that cart you made is is awesome!

Holly, I wake up earlier than anybody else in my house during the week, so I sleep in the guest room! I usually wake up before my alarm goes off anyway, but it's nice to be able to turn the lights on to get dressed. Plus that way I don't have to feel guilty about snoring!

Didn't have time to post yesterday, but I got in 5 relatively quick (for me) miles before work. Today was 4 easy.

I have to say that I actually enjoy running in the pre-dawn hours, at least most of the time. Practially no traffic, and I can't see the hills until it's too late to worry about them! But today at the track, I thought I heard someone (or something?) over in the dark bushes and imagined I was not really alone after all...

Dave59

Happy National Grouch Day!  Finally a day just for me.

I'm in the office today. No running.

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy National Grouch Day!  Finally a day just for me.

I'm in the office today. No running.

No wonder you're so grouchy.

Hi Friends!!

Still cross-training to try and remain fit for Dublin!! Did an easy 1.2 mile run on the treadmill (just needed a little running), then 1 hour on the elliptical called the adaptive motion trainer - had me at 6.6 miles, and another 15 minutes on the treadmill!! Hope it all helps - am planning on trying a 1 hour run Sat!

Happy Grouch day to all -- although I know of  no Grouches here!!

Oh - and don't they make the bet on Jeopardy before they know question?

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  (Except Twocat)

It's Thursday and I'm still not done with my sermon!  In fact, after thinking about what I have already written, I have decided to scrap the whole dang thing and start over.  I think I'll leave the preaching stuff to the professionals from now on.

I did 7 miles, tonight, in 54:44.

Yes, deez...the wager is made before the clue is given.  I love watching Jeopardy...but I'm no good at it.  Just like crossword puzzles...I ain't very smart.

Ryan called, today, and is coming home for the weekend...I guess his driver's license expired and he needs to come home to renew it.  we haven't seen him for six months, so we're pretty excited.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

..........well, did a 30-min poolrun in 22-min

Funny - I did my 30 minute run/walk in 20 minutes ...

well actually I did my 30 minute run/walk in 30 min, but I had a watch epiphany and set it to a run/walk setting 10 minutes into it, so - well you get the point

National Grouch Day - really???

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

Happy Grouch day to all!

A La Tortuga sighting is always a wonderful sighting.

Another great an fullfilling day at work, but boy, HUD is a dragon spitting fire my way all the time. It is a good thing that I have wings to climb up high Smile

No running today, rest day, but I did go to the local high school gym to check out on the work of the new trainer we hired for the community...wow...he is a dynamo.  I will be sore tomorrow.

Then it was going to the Post Fires Resource Fair to connect with fire victims to see how many of them needed housing. A busy, but well lived day.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yes, deez...the wager is made before the clue is given.  I love watching Jeopardy...but I'm no good at it.  Just like crossword puzzles...I ain't very smart.

I don't think so as the audience doesn't know the wager until after the answers are posted your idea makes eminent sense. Genious post of the day for you.  I wonder if Robin would agree.

4.5 sunning morning miles after last night's 50th UW Class of '65 reunion dinner.

Some 5,000 graduates in those days but my admittedly small department had a 60% turnout, . . . one graduate from Oregon, one from the East Coast, and me.  Tours of the campus today, lunch and get to be honored on the stage of a big afternoon pep rally.  no wonder I like getting old so much!  yippeeeeeee!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)