Masters Running

Monday January 5 back-to-work runs and stuff... (Read 481 times)

I started this for the fitness and fun; being injured gets you neither.
    For me part of the fun is seeing how well I can possibly do in a race. I figure getting injured every now and then is just part of that. [Shrug] Getting hurt is not all bad, just mostly bad! When I did in my Achilles tendon and had to take three months off I kind of enjoyed my temporary couch potato status. Smile The healing time was long enough to simply preclude making any serious race plans so there was no self imposed pressure to heal up and get training again. Train for what? I just waited it out and started up again - slowly. Managed to get my first BQ the following year! Anyway, none of us are being paid to do this sport so we all can and should do whatever we think maximizes our overall enjoyment of the sport. P.S. The three months off from my AT injury was nothing compared with my nearly nine months off when I shattered my left wrist and broke my right thumb in a skiing accident! lol I could not even dress or feed myself for a bit over a month. But, once the pain subsided (about three weeks) I got used to being on an extended vacation! [Editor: Dude you are working too hard if you think trashing your body is a good way to get some time off. Twocat: Hmmm, now there is a point. ]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

For me part of the fun is seeing how well I can possibly do in a race. I figure getting injured every now and then is just part of that. [Shrug]
      I hear ya. You're probably a lot more fun at parties than I am, too. Tongue

Be safe. Be kind.

I am not sure about that now Tramps! lol But a long time ago at a university far far away I was elected the social director for a student co-op. Ahh . . . back then . . . boy am I glad I made it out alive and grew up a bit!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Twocat, I really wish I had your patience and thought process recovering from my injury. Me - I have went through sooo many different emotions because ALL I WANT TO DO IS RUN.... from day one of my recovery, all I have really wanted is to simply run. This has affected me so much that I have been depressed - anxious - spent times literally crying - nightmares, and dreams of running, getting dressed for a run knowing I would hurt myself more, and just think "who" cares - and on and on. Running really is a best friend to me....that I felt like I lost. I'm getting close to your 3 month lay off with AT, and think it will probably take me another 4 to 6 weeks to heal and be pain free. Like you said about "torching" your AT...Boy, I really really did too. Guess we all deal with things differently, huh! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!