Masters Running

Eugene HM and Fun Report (Read 309 times)

Tammy, I read all your posts reading up to this with anticipation and hope. You faced some tough decisions and always seemed upbeat and willing to zig and zag as needed to stay on track (no pun there). You ran strong and well in the face of all of it----congratulations. I am so glad Sans Souci was there with you---a true friend who will go the distance. Speaking of which----you did the hard work, changed plans, saw great friends and shared it all here----an amazing weekend to be sure. I like your line about setting a friendship PR. You'll run the race you really want and soon too. In the meantime, take care of YOU first. Karin
      Tammy! Meeting you and seeing you along the race course was one of the highlights of the weekend for me. You are more lovely than you already appear in print. Seeing you smiling so broadly under that blond hair of yours and cheering me on as I ran through the finish shoot will remain with me. Sans is a sweetheart for sure. And she mentioned to me she has some running tips for you now that she's run with you. Listen to her Tamster! She knows of what she speaks. You'll get the HM PR and I hope I'm there to see (or perhaps run it with you.) Your no-longer-just-virtual friend, Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

coastwalker

Hi Tammy, Congratulations on hanging in and finishing the half on a day that was just not your day. Coming off an injury, being inadequately trained for the month before the race, and under-hydrating during the race is an almost impossible combination for anyone to beat. The last couple of miles, when you seem to have been in a daze, must have been really tough. Thank goodness for well-dressed friends who were there to help you to the finish in a remarkably good time, considering all you had to deal with! Even on an off day, there were lessons learned and there was strength gained - and you'll be back on top of your game before you know it. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

I didn't want to bump my own thread, but there was just so much good feedback here. amy - I looked back at the printout they gave us after the race with our times, and I actually crossed the 10K mark at 53:59 and my 10K PR is 55:17, so I was going out a bit too fast, wouldn't ya say?! Roll eyes I appreciate all the replies here and the insight that so many of you have shared. There were a combination of errors here - low mileage, being sick, dehydration and going out too fast. LOTS of lessons to be learned. And Souci commented to me that I should try shortening my stride. I am tall and have long legs so I tend to take advantage of that and use a longer leg stride. But this makes me more of a heel striker and is likely contributing to the IT problems I've had in the past and the the IT flare-up I had on Sunday. Hopefully this issue resolves quickly. I was real pleased that I've done up to an 18 mile run without any IT pain as I slowly recovered from this over the last 1.5 yrs, so hopefully this is a very temporary thing. I'm taking in all the advice and using your words of wisdom to help me become a better and stronger runner. Thank you very much.

Tammy

PJH

Tammy - sorry you had such a tough day. Seems to be a lot of that going on (pointing at self!). I can hardly wait for the day that I feel so good during a race that I can high-five people and really have a good time (aka SS). I usually need all my energy to just finish the race ...the high-fiving comes after! Don't loose sight of the good things about your race - the people you met, friendships nutured, etc ...you'll have your day in the sun ...and probably sooner than later. By the way, BTB send me a link to an article on dehydration after my Boston adventure. It's really quite good. Thought I'd pass it along to you too. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/dehydration.shtml Hope you're feeling better. Continued good running over the summer. PJ

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - it's not all about errors, you know. Sometimes you just have a bad race, for whatever reason, some of them things you could have changed but some out of your control. Doesn't matter. You got out there and toughed it out and went the distance. I think that takes a heckofa lot more guts than those fleet-footed gazelles who are out and back and done before the rest of us even reach the halfway point. Smile You overcame the battle and went the distance, even though it was very difficult. That makes you a winner. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Tammy, You're an upbeat runner. Well done on your PR!!!

SteveP

huskydon

Tammy, Still, a reasonable time given the circumstances. You learned, and had a great time and the next time, you will wallop that current PR time of yours. Thanks so much for sharing. huskydon
                    Tammy....congratulations on a gutsy race. Many times when we don't meet the expectations that we've placed on ourselves, we may be hesistant to view the experience as a victory. But a victory it was! You overcame some injury and a bit of sickness that comes with the terratory of being a human/runner. You overcame it with a sense of determination that not much would stand in the way of you experiencing this race. And a great experience you had! You said you learned lessons...learning lessons makes us all better runners...better people. That is a victory! Thanks for sharing.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM