Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 5.17.14 (Read 33 times)

TammyinGP

yay for Ryan!! He looks like he needs to be on the cover of TrailRunner in those shots. He has that "Timothy Olsen" look about him.  and I think I saw on FB that this event was in Blaine, right? I bet Blaine looks nothing like it did when I lived there. Although I did pull up google earth yesterday and look at my old street. My house, although a different color, still looked the same - same trees in the front yard, same garden shed in the back.

busy day for me today. Held a dog/cat adoption event and had a huge success. We brought 13 dogs and 6 cats in. 10 dogs adopted and 3 cats. this was HUGE as we usually adopt about 4-5 dogs. and our shelter was filled to capacity and we really needed a successful event today.

I need to get in a run tomorrow (have only done a 2 mile run so far this week). Supposed to rain but I won't melt, right?

Tammy

evanflein

That hair of Ryan's just kills me. Good to see him running again, and smiling. <puts away scissors...>

Tammy, yay for you on the adoption event! Such a very important thing to do. Sorry you had to bring back three cats.

Nice run for you, Starr! You guys in the market for a new house? Didn't you just move a couple years ago? That could be me thinking of someone else and/or losing track of time, but it seems it wasn't long ago.

Tried on this pair of Brooks PureFlow 2's that I've had sitting in the box for over a month. I returned my Pure Connects awhile ago and exchanged them for these. Just never got around to trying them, but decided to today. Wow, these are nice! They felt so good while walking around the house, I decided to go for a run! 9.5 miles later, they felt great and my feet felt fine. Even the fussy left foot. Yay! So... I have a new pair of shoes I like! Will have to see if I can find more before they're gone. With my luck, the 3's aren't as roomy in the toe box and won't be as good for my feet.

Still undecided on that 11 mile race tomorrow morning. Probably shouldn't do it, and if it's raining that'll be an easy decision. But if it's nice... and these shoes feel so good, hmmmm....

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, Tammy...I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been in Blaine, but it has changed...a lot.

Erika...you'll have to stand in line with those scissors...right behind his mother.

Maniac 505

Twocat:

""divechief so what are the car options?  I have a Corvette that I would love to drive cross country but my DW would never, ever even consider it.""

The current contenders are a lightly used Mercedes or BMW roadster.  each time I read a review I change my mind and who knows what will be out in a year or two.

MikeE:  Great Ryan pictures

Erika, glad that the shoes work for you I may start looking at something other than Brooks next time. Yes, you are correct, we moved into my mom's two bedroom 1bath "cabin" on Lake Okabena in May, 2012 - just down the street from our house, but she was lakeside. she was in assisted living so we just lived there for a year to see if it would work for us. Well it did until the family ll came with five dogs, 7 adults and 5 toddlers and babies. Did I say one bath? Yeah, right. Anyway, after she died we were going to buy it from the estate but before it went through we found a two story with a walkout basement on the lake. We moved her in September and now there is a two story colonial on the North side of the lake that has been our dream home for many years. Both houses have character but the North one has more rooms. We are anxious to look at it. Lake homes either sell really fast or they sit there for years. I don't know if the link works or not but here it is.......http://www.realestateretrievers.com/listing/97647506-150217207/246-lake-avenue-worthington-mn-56187/ 

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I know, Tet.  Next weekend sounds crazy.  And since I've never been on the CCC, it's going to be an adventure.  What we're running in Astora is suppose to be fairly benign.  As for the race, it's supposed to be on the hillier parts of Forest Park. Ugh!  But if I survive, I should be in fine shape for Mt. Hood!  Luckily, I never "race."  I see these things as events, 'cause unless I am the only one, or one of the only ones, in my age group, I won't be placing.  As for the night race, the only running in the dark I've ever done is on the mean streets of Eureka.  I'm hoping to not kill myself on the  night trail marathon.  It's my understanding they encourage people with experience running trails at night to stick with the newbies.  And they stagger the start times so there are people strung out on the trail and (hopefully) no one gets left alone.  We'll see!

Dive - I have in my mind that I want to trade in my car and it's driving me nuts.  We bought a new Toyota Camry in 2011, and it's a car I would never purchase again.  The Hub hates driving it, and there are too many things about it that I don't like.  So I am starting to do my homework to see what we could possibly afford to buy.  Once I have all my ducks in a row, I plan to present the whole plan to The Hub and hope he doesn't shoot it down.  What I want is a Subaru Outback, but I don't see that ever fitting in the budget, unless Subaru comes up with some really great financing plan.  But I talked to our mechanic a short while yesterday and got his take on the Outback, the Forrester, the Hyundai Santa Fe, and the Kia Tucson, the last two being his suggestion as opposed to the Outback.  He said Subarus are great cars, but like he also said - a bit on the pricey side.  So if I can't swing that, to look at the Santa Fe and Tucson.  Like I said, I will need to have a full proposal set out for The Hub if I want a chance of him going for it.  So we'll see.

12 miles in the last morning at the McKay.  Just stuck to the easy part.  Two bunny rabbit sightings.  Then mowing and yard work, then a really great sermon at church tonight.  Absolutely fantastic.  Tomorrow I'm gonna be working one of The Hub's yard jobs while he works another one so he doesn't have to work half the day.

Okay - It's getting late.  Gotta get some shut eye.  Sweet dreams, everyone ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Starr:  That house looks wonderful,  maybe I will make an offer  

Leslie:  A year or so back Enke bought an outback.  she loves it.  My current car is a 2008 Honda CR-V that I am really happy with,  less then 25,000 miles.  My only extra expense has been annual oil changes.  That said,  In a couple years I don't expect to ever need all wheel drive, and my cars  will probably be a little frivolous for a couple of years.  (something my father, as a child of the depression would have never understood.   Good luck on your sale pitch.

Dave

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't have shoes and I don't have a car.

I'm gunna be in trouble if dive takes off for a year.though

As for the race, it's supposed to be on the hillier parts of Forest Park. Ugh!

Excuse me, are there any non-hilly parts?

all's I can say about night running on trails is that it is very dangerous.

Maybe make sure you have at least a 200 lumen light that you've practiced with.

Since it's a night run, nap, nap, nap all day long as much as you can,

even if you're not sleeping, pretend you are to minimize hallucinating

about bigfoots, dinosaurs, etc. eating you up..

In fact, practice midnight running once or twice maybe 10-15 miles,

beforehand if there are any safe places to run at night down there.

I'm missing it this year but, if you're driving by Maple Valley betweeen SeaTac and Seattle on the way to Snoqualmie for the Cascades Crest 100 part, you might enjoy a lap around Lake Youngs with the 150 and 200 milers who start on Fri/Thur, respectively. With everything else you're doing, you'll hardly notice it.  Oh, maybe run the Western States route too when you get back.  ho hum .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Tet,  a 200 lumen light is really old school.  I carry a 700 lumen single battery light at work.   It continues to amaze me where LED technology has gone.  Same can be said for your house lighting.

Marathon Maniac #957

That Ryan sure is a cutie.  Mike, did you say it was a triathlon relay?   Does that mean that someone else did the biking and someone else the swimming?

Leslie - good luck!

Busy day for me on Saturday with lots of yard work and cooking.

At her softball game last night, the bases were loaded and DD hit a home run.  Love to watch that girl play. 

5 easy paced miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, I am quite sure that is how it works. A friend suggested we do one together this year. You must me so proud of DD's softball team!  Dive, don't you dare! Leslie, I would be scared to run a trail at night, eek! I would rather do a night dive again and that scared the life out of me. I would take two lights, just in case. I hope we have a good sermon at church today. Tammy I hope you get out between raindrops today.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

At her softball game last night, the bases were loaded and DD hit a home run. 

I think they call that a grand slam in the baseball world...very cool.

Yes...that girl did the swim, his old coach did the bike, and Ryan did the run.

I would bid on that house too...but I have no money.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet,  a 200 lumen light is really old school.  I carry a 700 lumen single battery light at work.   It continues to amaze me where LED technology has gone.  Same can be said for your house lighting.

geez, just when I thought I was starting to catch up with some of it.

ps holly, when it's the bottom of the last inning, some call it a sayonara home run.

congratulations.  She'll still be remembering it in 2074 like I do something similar from 1954.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)