Masters Running

Friday Dailies - 8/19 (Read 31 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Gee whiz, Erika .  I would've fallen about 84 times!  Totally impressed (Roger, you must have mountaingoat genes.).

tet, ok, but that'll be post race (the barefoot miles), probably at Leslie's (my roomie) house on the trails nearby.  Oh, say, I get to go to school with her Monday the 15th and "help" her teach her kiddoes!

Aw Holly, there you go again slipping in a nice long run on Friday.  Jealous!     Have fun golfing.

Will be interested in hearing what Mike and C-R think about ultras.  After all my big ONE  (baby) experience with the 50K, I'm not ready to embrace ultras just yet.

Management bought us pizzas today for lunch, but then we had to spend our lunch while they talked at us, which in my book is a "give-back" so I'm taking my time as I can.  I like to get outside for lunch, <<whine, whine, I know, I'm happy to have a decent job....>>>

so, grins, right?

Right.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Jay, that is terribly sad.

Erika, you know, I haven't pulled an Enke in a long time, so I am thinking I should pass the mantle onto you.....

But now that I have said that...I need to touch some wood, because I'll be running trails this weekend.

I have been enjoying "Chard talk" hosted by Twocat.  I can see it all cooking and stewing and the flavours combining....never thought reading about cooking greens could get me so distracted!

That's a lot of miles Mike!

I slept in, what can I say?  It's dark at 5!!  I need to sign up for a race to get my butt in gear again.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike - 4 and 5 hour long runs make sense for slower runners, but for someone as fast as you, that ends up being a LOT of miles!  I think you'd be fine cutting back to 20/25 miles.  Or find a gnarly steep trail where you'll run slower.   Hey - come run with me tomorrow - I'm doing 24 miles up to the divide and I figure it'll take 8 hours!

C-R - what 50 miler are you looking at for your 50th birthday?  Maybe I'll join you!  

Today I ran 10.7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  It started raining at about mile 8, and I thought to myself, I don't mind rain as long as there's  no lightning or hail.   So of course, it started hailing, and the thunder started booming.  I took refuge in an outhouse at a picnic area and waited till the storm mostly passed, then about a mile down the trail it started raining hard again, so I sat under a rock overhang for a bit.  The sun was shining when I got back to my car.   Good run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Wild - its my personal version of the Midwest Grand Slam slated for 2016. I will likely run Indiana Trail 50 or Dances with Dirt (depends on Boston as that is my goal race for next year) in 2015 to get my legs under me so to speak.

Here is the list for 2016 (I may substitute Glacier 50 for Ice Age since it fills quickly)

Indiana Trail 50
          Ice Age 50
          Mohican Trail 50
          Burning River 50
          Hallucination 50

Thank goodness I have 18 months to get ready.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice racing last night for Erika and Roger!  Erika, I hope you're not too sore today.  Roger, you beat the course record and only came in 2nd?

Jay, very sad about your friend.  Cancer sucks.

Jeanne,  I try to time my runs between storms too, but haven't had much  luck.  On Tuesday a thunderstorm came through when I was at mile 17 of a planned 20, and I sprinted to the rec center because it was closer than home, but I still got drenched.  Then on Wednesday, I  was half a mile from home when it started hailing - that kind of stung!   Yesterday the sun actually came out after the thunderstorm, and it stayed out for  my whole run.

I agree with Jeanne that Mike is freaky fast!  Good luck with the long runs this weekend, Mike.  Did you make up your own training plan, or are you following one from someplace?  I have never seen a 50 mile plan that called for back to back 25 and 30 mile runs.

Just course personal record. Btw moving back to Colorado soon. It's Smile and Sad at the same time. Many conflicted feelings. in the long run good, but will miss much about being here.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's from Runners' World.  I would have never created a plan for myself that would make me run back to back 25 and 30 miles...that's just sick.  It doesn't say to run 25 and 30 miles, by the way.  It says to run 4 hours and 5 hours.

What a difference 38  years makes when The Runner MAgazine said running half the distance of the target race beforehand was enough.  No wonder it defuncted.

I need to sign up for a race to get my butt in gear again.

8/31 Labor Day Half Marathon/4-mile (Marymoor Park)

I know someone you can beat even if you haven't run half the distance of the race yet.

ps amy - that's okay, . . . but be sure to post a barefoot photo in an Abebe Bikila Marathon t-shirt,   . . . and try a barefoot run on the beach sometime.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Just course personal record. Btw moving back to Colorado soon. It's Smile and Sad at the same time. Many conflicted feelings. in the long run good, but will miss much about being here.

Yeah, I didn't mention anything about that, figured I'd let you share it. I'm not finding anything about it, though...  

Mariposai

Great job Erika.

Wow,  Tet is training,  that is scary.

Traveling on vacation this weekend. The Easy Pacer and I plan to visit areas of our state we gave not visited before.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Since I've decided on a really stupid stunt for my 50th, I've been reading this magazine. 

Wild - its my personal version of the Midwest Grand Slam slated for 2016. I will likely run Indiana Trail 50 or Dances with Dirt (depends on Boston as that is my goal race for next year) in 2015 to get my legs under me so to speak.

Here is the list for 2016 (I may substitute Glacier 50 for Ice Age since it fills quickly)

Indiana Trail 50
                    Ice Age 50
                    Mohican Trail 50
                    Burning River 50
                    Hallucination 50

Thank goodness I have 18 months to get ready.

Wait -- you're planning on doing FIVE 50 milers for your 50th birthday?  Dang.  Way to raise the bar!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Wait -- you're planning on doing FIVE 50 milers for your 50th birthday?  Dang.  Way to raise the bar!

Yeah. DW us calling it the Summer of Stupid. Still safer than getting a motorcycle and less permanent than a tattoo.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

C-R: five 50's for 50th?

That's stup.,   I mean interesting

Did Trail Runner or someone recommend five instead of one or did you just decide to make it a GS?

ps - I thought Grand Slams were 100's.

Are the 50-mile GS's, 100-mile GS's, etc.?

Good luck.

Got a sorry message from Animal Control that the magnificent peregrine falcom finding refuge in our outer yard earlier in the month did not survive what turned out to be a broken wing. I’ll never forget those piercing eyes allowing my hand to flick off a blackberry snag on the wing.  Too bad that wasn’t all it was.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

You are quite correct tet that GS are 100s but there is not way on this green earth that I will try that insanity so I made up my own. Call it the mini grand slam of the midwest.

Now off for my long run with the guys and going to watch ND football with my sons and FIL - guys day.