Masters Running

Rainy Pigtails Merry Christmas Marathon - 12/20/2014 (Read 24 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Somehow, I’ve regularly eschewed the annual Pigtails Marathon every December over the years usually in such inclement weather that my first miss was a chance to run a final marathon together with my late Ultra-mentor Paul Piplani in deep snow in December 2008 to say nothing of the year a Parks Department rep showed up at the start to announce to everyone that the race permit was being cancelled due to a windstorm that had the trail strewn with limbs.  The RD said, “no way” and off they went.
    Thus, it was no surprise that my first running too turned out to be somewhat epic too but in opposite land with weather so evil, askew and grey as to produce my third lifetime DNF/retire (since the 1978 Glacier Marathon at 23 miles a little south of erika-land in those days and 2005 Bridle Trails 50K with 30 DNFs out of of 49 starters) as, though I thought I was prepared for the inclement weather to be expected this time of the year, the thin rubber soles of the Japanese jika-tabi shoes (like those worn for by the gold medalist in the 1936 Olympic Marathon and several Boston winners in early fifties) I wore weren’t much better than running barefoot in protecting my wet and wrinkled soles from the sharp gravel “improvements” carpeting the first-and-last six miles or the out-and-back course and I bailed out at the final aid station at mile 21.5.
    In exchange for a ride back to the start, I helped close down the aid station, pack up the propane stove, tent canopy, etc. to the event van.  However, with all the gatorade jugs and other paraphernalia needing to be taken back, there was not enough room for all of us in the cramped vehicle so one of the volunteers ran the last five miles back to the start in the rain I should have been running.  He insisted, and I couldn’t deny, when he asked me to shake his hand and my cold hands couldn’t.
    I should have given it to him then-and-there but, seeing my $100+ thero-insulate hooded sweatshirt from the 2013 Pigtails 100-mile Run, even though he’s run more than a dozen other centuries, he recalled how much he had loved his until it got lost at an East Coast century shortly after the 2013 Pigtails 100.
    I understood oh so very well as mine went missing at this year’s Tunnel Lite Marathon in September but I had the elation of a blessed return at the end of November.  In fact, I loved it so much as a warm, one-of-a-kinder from the only century I’ve ever done and likely ever will do that I had the letters “i・l・e・s” embroidered onto the “M” in “100M” because, when I wore it in Japan last year, my fellow Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club members wondered what kind of 100 meter race warranted a sweatshirt.  
    .  .
    Way beyond the call of duty, the good samaritan also picked up a soaking wet jinbei Japanese “happy-coat” winter jacket I had ditched at mile one on a park bench table and he carried it back to the finish for me. It had cost nearly $100 in 1985 and I was going to have to walk back to find it as I don’t think I have friends I would even ask to do that in that weather. 
    /
    It will be a little used but his wife thinks he’ll like
    his “new” 2013 Pigtails 100 Mile edition sweatshirt. 
    Merry Christmas Matt and thank you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Tet - that sounds excruciating.  I'm impressed that you made it to mile 21.5 in those conditions.  If there's anything I hate more than being cold, it's being cold and thoroughly soaked.  That was an extremely kind volunteer, but I know you made his Christmas with your gift. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I think you might be the coolest person I know, tet.

+1 I totally agree!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

+3

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Make that +4! Even if I'm not exactly sure of everything in here.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Horrible experience,

well handled

(not surprised).

Congrats.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Impressive 21.5 mile run.  You must have scared the volunteer when you couldn't shake his hand.

C-R

I'm reasonably certain that the "Most Interesting man in the world" from Dos Equis commercials is really our very own Tet.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I keep looking for the "Like" button around here. I must be spending too much time on Facebook.

I always knew Tet was a winner and a class act. You didn't need to go proving it, you know. 

Oops wrong thread

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Ditto.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I don't know how you do so many long races on such little training.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes