Masters Running

Tuesday 10/20/15 Runs and Yoga and Stuff Like That (Read 28 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I saw this on FB and it made me laugh...

No run for me today, 45 minutes P90X yoga instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Very funny, Holly. Yes, anyone who chooses to run a marathon on a 1/8 mile track has lost their mind! I wonder what distance they used for the marathon, and how many students knew the correct distance?

Twocat, was it the trip to the 3 distilleries that finally got you over the hump and back to running? Whatever, welcome back!

Great costume, Wildchild! But the Baconator scares me a bit...

I wouldn't have known it was the Wailers either, so thanks for the trivia, Tet. You will post pics of your costume too, won't you?

Sorry about the twinges, TW, and I'm glad you found 1-lb. weights you could use.

Seems that Enke and Stumpy have some sparks flying between them...

Great Fall shots, Tselbes.

Have fun in Milwaukee, Mike. Sorry you missed Ryan while he was home.

New tires are almost as good as new running shoes, Moebo. Congrats on getting 65,000 miles on the old ones (tires, that is...). Looks like your online grading site got an 'F'

Congrats on getting back to some speed work, Mariposai.

We had our last race committee meeting for Saturday's 5K yesterday evening. Everything is ready to go, but our registrations are still down vs. previous years. We're still pushing, but I think we'll still end up with low numbers. We'll still make money for our non-profit, but not as much as we hoped. There is still some work to do before Saturday, and I'll probably spend parts of some nights sweating the details. Ain't life grand??

I went a scootch over 3 miles in 40F damp and breezy weather with some rain on the way home. I still have (am) that pain in my butt, so it was definitely a paperbag workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Ahem......in 2008, I ran and won this on the ladies' side with a 3:37.  (150 laps) http://zoomyahyah.com/  You get your own personal cheerleader from the girls' track club at St. Olaf who records your laps.

It was warm and toasty, even tho it was January in Minnesota.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm just contemplating how many times Amy would have passed me.

Have to do more thinking on Enke's electircal--hate mysteries.

4 miles around the lake this morining.  Nothing special, except that I wore shorts with no pockets, therefore no dog biscuits, and of course saw two of my regualr canine friends (and owners).  They seemed to be OK with a little petting (not the owners).

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

an amazing likeness

I ran an indoor half marathon a few years ago, I believe I named the course "circle of death" in my log...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I’ve never run indoors in my life and can’t imagine any circumstances
              that would cause me to do it,. . . . unless they had an indoor marathon or something.
              exactly 5.00 mile cycle commute.
              sunny 54-degrees still okay for short-sleeve shirt
              (covered by yellow reflector vest).

Did someone <<<(mariposai/holly)>>> say something about a possible tenth anniversary reunion of the 2006 Portland Marathon Boomer reunion and mariposai’s first marathon? As long as they still have the one-half mile+ ascent I’ve loved ever since my Portland no. 1 in 1990 up to the apex of the scenic St. John’s Suspension Bridge at mile 17, count me in on the fun too. no wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Great pictures yesterday, indeed! That bacon outfit wouldn't work for me, but he seemed to be enjoying it.

I remember when Amy did that Zoom! Yah! Yah! marathon. Didn't you need a Z marathon or something like that? I don't think you could pay me enough to do that... Well, maybe you could pay me enough, but it would be a lot!

No run yesterday. The weather was awful with freezing rain all day and by the time the rain stopped, I just didn't want to deal with ice and traffic so just stayed in. That's fine, I was feeling pretty exhausted from the weekend anyway. Today is chilly but mostly clear so it'll be nice for a run later.

Mike E

MM #5615

St Olaf is the site of the Minnesota State Cross Country Meet.  The race director is also the race director for that indoor marathon.  He was always pretty intense at the meets and was very strict about people parking and not parking in certain places.  One year, I snuck in with my car and parked where I wasn't supposed to.  After the meet, I stayed behind to clean up our area, went to get in the car, and the battery was dead...somebody had left a door ajar all day and the light was on.  So...I had to go find that crabby old race director and was preparing to get a good butt chewing.  When I told him my situation, he asked me what school I was with.  I told him, "Centennial".  "Ah!  That's Neil's (our coach) team.  I'll be right there," he said.  He jumped my car and away we went.  When I'm all done with the states, that's one I'd like to do.

Okay...I'm not really sure why I told you that story...but...gotta get back to work.

wildchild sore?  After just 50 miles of running?   No!  Cannot be!  I think if I were your legs I would run away and find a new more docile head!

tetsujin209 go as a runner.  Wear technical shorts, shirt and socks plus done a pair of running sneakers.  Great Halloween race costume.  Believe me!

tomwhite good to see you healing up enough to complain about things ending with statements like adding walk time!

enkephalin I need a wood plaque with my house number on it reattached to some cement inseams in a pillar you think you could come over and see about it?  

stumpy77 of enkephalin cannot make it you are more than welcome to come and get the thing up.

tselbs no!  Trees with colors!  (Yeah, they look pretty.)  Trees with colors!  Winter is coming, winter is coming!  Run away, run away!

AamosY thanks for the recipe idea!  It looks wonderful! I never stew fruit by itself. Sometimes I add it to another dish, like chicken or pork but not on its own.

Mike E let me know how that invitation to shack up with the Obama's goes.  Do they take all random visitors?  

moebo just tell the students your computer ate their papers!

Holly S. cute!

coastwalker I am not sure if the distillery tour helped.  I guess I will have to do another one to get more data!  Any ideas as to why your race registrations are down?  Just more competition?

milktruck I think all such races should be replaced by routes along a 200 mile course.  Just sayin'.

An hour on the elliptical for me today.  Still hip flexor pain free!  In other news, I have some baby-banana banana bread baking.  My SIL is in Murfreesboro Tennessee for the USDAA national championships with her 6 dogs.  The pack cleaned up two weeks ago at a national championship in another set of dog trials.  But, this is the big one!  The bread is coming down to Tennessee with my DW and me this Thursday.  It should help to sustain us as we wait around between events. Plus it just tastes really good! I am keeping my fingers crossed that her best dog Baxter pulls off the big win.  Plus, her "puppy" Jem looked great two weeks ago. She may be coming into her own finally.  If so she could clean up in her events.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

This morning, it was in the mid 50s (about 20 degrees warmer than yesterday) and it was windy.  I struggled through 6 miles at an 11:41 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

moebo

A whole marathon indoors? That sounds crazy enough to be kind of fun. Though I'm pretty sure the constant flatness would do me in.

Jay, sorry that you are still suffering. What is a paperbag workout?

Twocat, So glad you are healed! Have fun at the dog show!

Woke up a little early so I could enter my grades before my run, but the site was still down. Oh well, the kids had to wait until this afternoon to see their grades.

After work, BF and I went shopping for shoes. We both found some great deals, which is always fun, but better yet I ran into a former student, a girl from Haiti who finished our high school a couple of years ago. When she was a senior, she had high hopes of going away to college, but ended up settling for the local community college because she was never quite able to settle down and figure out the whole college application process. At the time, I worried that she would never find enough stability or focus to keep going to classes while living at home. I was so glad to see her again, and to learn that she is graduating in December and going on to a four-year college in January. That kind of news makes me so happy.

I had enough time to do 4 miles at the track this morning, mid-40s with a slight breeze. Awesome.

Mike E

MM #5615

That's cool moebo about your former student...teachers are cool.

I'm riding down to Milwaukee with my boss and a couple of guys from our lumber supplier.  Hunting, trucks, and the building business has been the major topics.  Every once in a while they'll ask me a running question.  I figured I'd jump in here between questions.

Oh, and farming!

Mariposai

Another late night posting from my cellphone.  4 smile miles for my wings this morning plus an hour of gym diva after work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard