Masters Running

Friday, October 10 end o' the week daily (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Where's MikeE anyway?! Nice mellow run this morning and a chance to catch up on local chatter.

I'm still here.  I'm just working through a funk I seem to have fallen into.  Work stuff is a drag...no running...no race on the calendar...I don't like Fall...just a whole bunch of stupid stuff I'm letting drag me down...and I really didn't want to come on here and drag anybody else down with me.  Plus...I'm giving the sermon, this Sunday, and any spare time that I have, I've been working on that...it's not going very well...and I'm running out of time.   It's really nice to have this place to come to, though, to get away...even if I don't post, I'm still keeping an eye on all of you.

That's it...thanks for asking.

Good luck to everybody racing, this weekend!

I'm still here.  I'm just working through a funk I seem to have fallen into.  

Is there a local 5k you can jump into or something in a week or so and then you can get a race on the calendar? You trained so hard this summer, I suppose a let-down is inevitable. Hang in there friend and you know you can always lean on all of us here. How about some XC this weekend in the area?

evanflein

Hey I know how you feel Mike. I feel like I've really stepped back after Equinox and now that we have snow (and maybe freezing rain this weekend), I just don't want to deal with it. It was a pretty high mileage (for me) summer though with lots of 200+ mile months, so I guess a little downtime because of work, weather and facing-down-a-new-winter blahs isn't a bad thing. It'll pass, as will your funk.

Holly, take care of that knee. Those on again off again things can be really annoying. Have fun with the dinner party. Sounds yummy. So does your library overhaul it's books every year? I don't think ours does that, but I'm not sure.

Our local light opera theater company is doing Les Miserables this month. This weekend is the last weekend, and we're thinking of going. Just can't seem to decide which night. Seems like the "blahs" have invaded more than just running.

Ribs, say hi to Egret for me!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about the funk!   The only thing I've been kind of bummed about after the VT50 (besides missing all the great folks) is how tiny even a 10 mile run looks on my log with that huge 50 mile bar on there.  I hope the sermon goes well this weekend - you write so well, I'm sure it'll be good, although I'm sure it's stressful trying to write it.  (Just think how stressed poor Moses must have felt!)

I've had Liz (runninginDC, then spacecityrunner) staying with me for a few days. I'm not sure how many of you remember her, but it's been great to meet yet another virtual running friend, and she's a lot of fun. Tomorrow, we're running an 8.5 mile trail race with Lori (seemomgo) - I'm looking forward to it!  I was just looking at the calendar and I have races every weekend for the next 5 weeks - running 4 and volunteering at one.  I'm really excited about the trail race in Seattle on the 26th - Enke and Tetsujin are coming, and Dove said she'll probably be there too!  And Francesca can't come to the race, but wants to meet for a run or coffee or something while I'm out there.  I'm so glad my DD decided on Seattle for grad school!

Here's a picture of me and Liz on a trail run yesterday:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E I hope you get out of your funk soon.  Not having a race may be a bit of a downer, but if it is about as bad as it gets that is not so bad.

AamosY is this like a cooking show contest?  You are given a set of ingredients and you have to use all of them in a dish?    Let me see if we can!  Roast the Brussels sprouts.  Cut them in half.  Mix with some salt, pepper and olive oil.  Toss in a 425° oven for 25 minutes or until a bit browned.  In the meantime.  Make some farro or wheat berries or some other grain with some texture when cooked.  While all that is going on, saute some sweet onions or leeks (remember to split the leeks and rinse them out before using).  After they are caramelized add a quarter cup of white wine and boil down the mixture until most but not all of the liquid has evaporated.  Add the Swiss chard and wilt it down. Add the Brussels sprouts a quarter cup of the grains and serve.  You may need to adjust the amount of grains.  You want enough so that there are some in every bite but not so much that it overwhelms everything else.  If you are not going meatless then skip the white wine step.  Instead get some pancetta (have them cut it into 1/4" slices at the deli) and dice it.  Add to the pan after the onions are starting to caramelize and let the pancetta cook down a bit.  Next add the Swiss chard and follow the rest of the directions.  Just for the record I am making this recipe up off the top of my head and take no responsibility for how this experiment turns out!

If you want to see one of my SIL's rock star dogs pick up this week's copy of People Magazine.  On page 35 of the bonus page section there is an Iams ad featuring my SIL's dog Cooper.  You have the right copy if the bonus section is printed upside down from the regular issue, starting at the back cover and says 40 Bonus Pages dedicated to Celebrating 40 Years of People.

I ended up running 8 today.  Tomorrow I will watch it rain while I use the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

yay cooper.

However, that’s too bad about Mike funking out from not running enough.
              Funny, I’ve never had that problem or I would have it all the time

in light of all the running I don’t do.
              Incidentally, if you can find a convenient 5K, I just got a final e-mail from race headquarters that’s been inundating registered runners on how to train, sleep, eat, hydrate, taper, etc., and now these last-minutes tips for running a fast 5K in tomorrow’s race

ps - forget about Moses, . . . unless you have a chisel handy somewhere.

However, seeing pictures like that make me glad it's now and not then.

pps wildchild - see you and enke, dove and francesca on 10/26 .

Maybe someone ought to tell divechief that the goddess quotient

has gone up to four.but it won't be me. sorry dave.

5K tips

1. Hydrate - the day before the race you should be taking in plenty of water

so you don’t have to worry about whether hydro-vests vs. hand-held bottles

(not recommended as alter form and balance).

2. Carbo-loading avoiding acidic foods that create acid reflux

and other conditions that are not favorable before and during the race.

3. Shoes - Do not put on a brand new pair of shoes and be sure your regular ones

are securely tied to they don’t come untied while running.

4.  Clothing - as little as possible or that will wick your perspiration away.

The last thing you want to do is shed clothing around your waist or abandon expensive attire..

5. Cramps, dizziness, nauseating, etc.- avoid by hydrating through water stations on the run,

squeezing paper cups to funnel water without gulping air.  Otherwise, a fuel belt should serve for a 5K distance.

6. Pit stops - especially with chip timing, take care of bathroom necessities beforehand. 

Delayed starts are better than mid-race stops that cool you down,

throw you off pace, and ruin a good race.

7. Breakfast - eat your regular fare to avoid upset stomach and energy
              8. Hunger - if you know you get hungry during the run have all of your goodies accesible,

e.g. gels or ziplocks pinned to waistband, fuel belet, etc.

9. MP3 - if allowed and helpful to your pace, have all of your songs preloaded, charged and ready to go in the morning.

Last minute uploads will create unnecessary stress.

10. Garmlins/GPS - adjust and make sure they connect BEFORE the gun goes off.
              11. Bonking - fight through bonks by following someone who is just in front of you,

falling back to slower-paced runners if necessary to help establish your rhythm again.

12.  Mental  - have a mental game plan by dividing the 5K into digestible distances

keying on aid stations, bands, landmarks to keep your focus through the finish line
              BONUS TIP: Pain is temporary so so what?

Good luck MikeE and all of this weekend's racers,

and some who are going to pretend they are racing <<<(thatwouldbeme)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Funny list of things there, Tet. Are you sure they know it's a 5k and not a 50k?

Great to see Wildchild and The Desperate Housecats Lady getting together for some runs! I'm envious of Carolyn finally getting to meet Liz though. Have fun at the race with Seemomgo!

I got out a little later than planned, but it was still pretty nice out. We haven't had snow in days and the temps have been in low 30's so the bike paths were pretty cleared. I took my spikes but carried them most of the way, only needing them for a few hundred feet at one point. 7.8 miles in just over an hour, and finished before it started getting dark. Nice.

Marathon Maniac #957

So does your library overhaul it's books every year?

Yes, there are 22 library branches in Montgomery County, and I think they buy copies for every branch, but then do a purge of some of the extra copes each year so they can buy more books the next year.  Even if there are only a few copies of a book left in the system, you can always get it by request from another branch.

MikeE - I hope you cheer up soon.  Let's start planning our next year RA get-together - will that help?

Carolyn - nice picture!

Twocat - I love the word "caramelize."   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."