Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 12/09 (Read 278 times)

Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve. (Mary Kay Ash)

4 steady miles this a.m., followed by 45 min of core/UB strength training.  In the middle of the workout, I did two sets of 10 of these without crossing my legs and with my arms out in front of me to help pull me up.  My legs were on the verge of revolting toward the end.  Obviously, I have some ST stamina to build back up.  However, I'd rather do those than burpees.  Burpees don't go well with the surface I work on (indoor/outdoor carpet over concrete) and the fact I do all my Core/ST barefoot.  . . . . . okay, that and the fact I just intensely dislike burpees and refuse to do them.

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

5 miles this a.m., including 8x100m strides at the end.  And boy howdy was it windy!  Of course, the wind was in my face when I was running an incline.  It got so blustery a couple of times, I gave up and walked briefly 'cause it was like pushing against a wall.  Very happy it was slight rain during the run because it's been pouring for the last couple of hours.  Followed the run with almost an hour of core and lower body strength training.

Now I'm just trying to get through the end-of-the-year bookkeeping stuff and clean up some of my  mistakes.  My office mate asked me at one point today if I was mad at her.  Guess I've been a bit touchy. Black eye  Bookkeeping is not easy for me, and the way our offices is are situated, I don't have an office to myself, so I can't shut myself in and make everyone stay out and leave me alone.  It sure would help if I could, but oh well.  Suck it up, buttercup! Wink

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Les, nice runs and those things that you did.  ST??  The wind can be huge out there....I know....I'm experienced in wind.  Glad the rain let up for you a bit.

1.75 miles for me this evening.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Yea Leslie, suck it up. Sounds like you're really slacking off lately.

hey Ev, nice runs.

Broken car has cramped my running insanity. Will have to find time somewhere? 

Ev - St = Strength Training.  Yeah, I bet you guys do get the wind.

Joe - Wait.  If the car's broke, isn't that the perfect reason to run . . . . to get where you need to go? Smile

Watch this kid (you need speakers).  He's great!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

thanks Joe,

Leslie....ST=strength training.....I'll have to look into some of that.  Thanks

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - congrats on getting into Mt. Hood! That sure filled up QUICK! Shocked Ultras have such small caps, but still...

Jim - hope those fires get resolved. Always hate to hear that kind of news. And I have a hunch that my full-time job is child's play compared to yours.

Stumpy - nice 7-and-change!

Ev - ST is overrated. Wink Actually, Lydard wrote "the best exercise for runners is running".

Still on the 2000 quest, finished up week #2 at 70 mpw, with a Sunday finale of 16.2 mi in pouring rain and wind. It was actually kind of fun, but I guess only because it hasn't been cold...I was able to get it done in shorts and a short-sleeved tech tee.

Ex runner

Ev - ST is overrated. Wink

Evil

I don't know how you put out that kind of mileage every week, Arla.  I'm in awe.

Re ultras filling fast - it makes it tough to figure out your year.  I mean, Mt. Hood is 7 months away!  And with registration fees being non-refundable, it really makes you think twice before signing up for a race.  Which is why I wish PCTR would get their schedule up for 2013.  I have my eye on a run over in Auburn, but I'd sure rather run down in the Marin Headlands, if possible, because (A) it's closer than Auburn by almost 2 hours, (B) I can stay with my brother in Healdsburg for free, and (C) I want to get as much running done in the Headlands as possible if they're going to do the Headlands 50 in September.

Got in 8 miles this a.m.  The wheels came off the last couple of miles, but say la vee.  Whatcha gonna do?  Tomorrow's a new day.

It's been a long day and evening, and that's all the energy I have.  Nitey nite ~ Sleepy

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Was suppose to do strength training this a.m., but opted for some extra snoozing instead.  I was tired.  The goal is to do the ST after work today.

We share a cat with our neighbor, who is suppose to be keeping him up on his shots.  I really doubt this is happening.  Anyway, Mr. Mr. has developed a mass on his side, which literally developed over the last 4 days.  I left a note on our neighbor's window and even talked to her niece yesterday telling them we want to take Mr. to the vet (a different vet than she uses) and get him checked out.  No response.  So I've said, "Screw it," and am taking him in at 3:00 today.  I hope it's nothing serious because are finances are really limited right now.  We'll see. Undecided

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie- and besides registration, you have to commit to travel time and travel expenses! It's really tough! Of course all the best events are filling months in advance, even marathons. Hope things work out for Mr. Mr. Hopefully just an abcess.

This week is feeling better than the last two. The last two weeks, I was feeling achingly tired from Tuesday - Thursday (I think a delayed onset tiredness from the long run that lingered). It was enough to make my night-time restless. If it kept up, was worried about becoming overtrained and then taking a REALLY long period of time to bounce back...but was determined to stick it out for 4 weeks. So, I think things are improving. But, yeah, it's a lot of running, I'll be glad to back off once I catch the bunny! I would be very happy to consistently hit 50 mpw.

Ex runner

jfa

Leslie- good luck with your schedule. To answer your question, one car down means my car had to do the running around errands and shopping kind of stuff. Cut into my evening schedule. But it's fixed now.

Arla- my second week feels good too. 50 done this week so far, 20 to go. Boy, it's a lot to overcome between the ears committing to at least an hour and a half run everyday, if not more. We're getting it though! That bunny's going down!

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - glad to hear it's getting better. It should just be a mental battle from here on out. Hoping to see some good results, too. 

Easy 6 and ST tonight. Got my burpees (four-count) up to 3 sets of 15! 

Ex runner

Actually, Lydard wrote "the best exercise for runners is running".

Can't deny that!    I don't always do whats best! Smile

Mr. Mr.

1.75 for me last Wed.

Enjoy!

1.5 hours of running every day??  No thank you.  You guys are nuts . . . but in a good way. Wink

Yep, it was an abscess - a big honkin' abscess.  Yuck!  Our options were $250 to have the vet take care of it, which meant a drainage tube for a minimum of 3 days and the cone of shame for 3-7 days, or try to deal with it on our own.  I decided we'd deal with it.  They gave him a super antibiotic shot, and we clipped his hair down and started warm compresses last night.  Today folks, we have drainage!  (TMI??)  The thought of it makes me a tad sick to my stomach, but The Hub was home to deal with it.  Yea!

And on that note - an hour of core/strength training last night and 4 EZ miles this a.m.  Tomorrow my boss and I have to come in at 9:30 to meet with clients to review and sign estate planning docs, then Karen and I have 15 planned for the McKay Tract.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, nice going with Mr. Mr.  You did good.  Isn't/wasn't there a pop band called Mr. Mr.....I'll have to research that.

2.25 miles for me this afternoon. 

Enjoy!