Masters Running

Fiddleheads!!! (Read 162 times)

Manchild

Off topic, I'm sure but I was just wondering if anyone on the forum knows anything about fiddleheads and their preparation for consumption. I was checking on a house I care take and saw some on the side of the road and cut them and brought them home. I tried sauteeing them in some olive oil and garlic but they were a little bitter. I then tried dipping them afterwards in some balsamic vinegar to no real avail. Any other suggestions? I understand they are a real delicacy... Thank you in advance... Chris
      Hmmm, fiddleheads? Sounds like something my mom used to say when she really wanted to say a bad word, but not in front of the kids. Oh, no, that was FIDDLESTICKS!!! Big grin (Sorry, I'm so sleepy I'm punchy!) Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

sorry - i've never even heard of them! off to google fiddlesticks . . . errr. . . fiddleheads. . .

Tammy

Head Procrastinator

I've always parboiled then sauteed, if you have extra send them this way Smile
          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          TammyinGP

I googled and I'm back. interesting - I've never seen anything like this. this site had a variety of recipes . . . http://gonewengland.about.com/od/fiddleheadsrecipes/Fiddleheads_Recipes_Fiddlehead_Fern_Recipe_Collection.htm so depending on the time you want to put into making something, maybe there is something there that interests you. I thought that Cream of Fiddlehead soup sounded good.

Tammy

Oh wow.....Fiddleheads........so called because of how they are curled up to look like a "fiddle's head" You need to wash them well....they have a bit of a covering "skin" that needs cleaning. While I always used to boil them, you don't want to overcook them. Your cooking of them in olive oil should also be good. I enjoy using vinegar on them or a nice Hollandaise sauce also works. In the Maritime provinces of Canada this is a BIG delicacy and the people are quick to go "fiddleheading". Unfortunately, I have not had them for years .....since I moved back into the US, so I am a bit stale on more details than that. Tallrunner might have something to add, being from Ottawa. They have a taste that is between asparagus and spinach.
              Vista

Manchild

Thanks everyone.. Vista, your exactly correct on your comparison to asparagus and spinach.. I had planned to goback and get more but may wait until tomorrow.. Thanks!!