Masters Running

The Daily Musings on 4/27 (Read 35 times)

TammyinGP

Had a wonderful weekend away from the home base. We left to go camping about 60 miles away at Lost Creek Reservoir on Friday morning. Unfortunately, weather kind of stunk at 50's and off and on rain, but we have a travel trailer, with heat, and bathroom, so I'm good.  . .

David had a track meet in Medford (about 35 miles from where we were camping), so Friday night we drove back into Medford to watch his meet. He ran the 3000 and was in about the last event, so he wasn't scheduled to start til 8:50 pm.  I'm glad we got there about 8:20, because they were ahead of schedule and he started at 8:35. This was a very fast heat, with the top couple of runners going sub 9. David ran a 10.16, which was a 1 second PR, but was still 2nd to last. He was really hoping for a sub 10 with this fast group, but it's tough running that late at night when you've been sitting around waiting for 5 hrs already and it's chilly and raining off and on. . .

We headed back to the campground and were up early for our trail race. He was running the 5K and I ran the 30K.  He took 1st place overall on a very challenging course of trails, with a time of 21 and change.  He received a nice engraved plaque and ribbon for that.  It took me quite some time to finish my 30K. I was aiming for 3:30 but was 3:44. Off and on rain for almost the entire 2nd half of the race (more on than off!) and some chilly temps made the last 6 miles or so pretty challenging for me. it was probably low 50's but felt much colder with the rain. Headed back to the campground (only 3/4 mile from the start of the race) and forced myself to go walking with the dogs a few more times throughout the day, which must have really helped my legs because I had almost no soreness the next day.  Of course, running on trails versus a road I'm sure helped that also. I really enjoyed the trail race - so much easier on my legs, the views around the reservoir and through the wooded parts were spectacular and the camaraderie on the trails is fun.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Not ideal racing conditions at all Tammy, but good for him, a fine effort.

Well done Aamos!

Mike E., enter the race, even if you are not 100% fit to race it.  The problem many people have is that they think of race entry fees and travel as expenses, as opposed to investments in their quality of life and fitness.  You're looking at this as an expense.

2 mile recovery run for the Saint and me at the park today.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice running for Tammy and David!  I agree that running that late in the evening would make it very tough for me to get any speed up.

We had those cold rainy temps for DD's Saturday afternoon softball game - 43 degrees, steady drizzle and wind.  One of the most miserable games I have experienced in my kids' events.  I was freezing under my layers, but felt terrible for the girls out there on the field, many of them in shirt-sleeves.  DD had my Flying Monkey long-sleeved tech shirt under her softball jersey, but I know that was no match for the conditions.  It's not like they are running around or anything.  I could see how red their poor hands were from the stands.  At least I had brought a couple of fleece blankets for them to use in the sheltered dugout.

Another game for her tonight, and it will be a bit cool, but at least blessedly dry.

Rest day for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

EZ 6 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly, nice 5.462K race.  ribs, great 007 picture.  roch, I like the throwback picture.  I'd never recognize you.  mari, good race.  Aamos, great 1st in AG.  Twocat, nice going with 2nd in AG and picture.  steve, I like the grandkid pictures.  I especially relate to the last one.  On our one day a week baby sitting for our grandson, we start with breakfast at a nearby small restaurant.  Our little guy has made a hit with the waitresses.  wid, good job on your 30K trail race and kudos to your son on 2nd OA.

Nice long runs and walks for C-R, ribs and The Saint, and Jay.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was some wind.  It was 5 miles at an 11:14 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

I gathered some great content on my "rules of thumb" string elsewhere on this site. Here is my first post on the subject and there's also a Boston Marathon quiz to entertain you:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/running-rules-of-thumb-and-a-boston-marathon-quiz.html/

Spareribs

C-R

That's some good racing for your son Tammy.

We did the same with soccer Holly. Everyone was froze  to the core.

Are there tips about running jackets Ribs?

Tslebs - those were some great vacation pics.

Ran easy in the morning and a brisk evening run. DS2 asked me how many miles have I run over my years. Since I didn't log until Cool Running around 2007 I really didn't have an answer so I looked at my log and look and behold I just clicked over 16000 miles here on RA. Would never have looked if it wasn't for kiddos question. I hate to think how many hours that equates. Yikes.

Have a great evening all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, nice job on the 30k in the rain!  And congrats to your speedy DS for 1st OA in his race - wow!

My ankle feels better so I went for a test run today - 10 miles on muddy dirt roads.  It snowed till mile 7 and then let up, but it's snowing again  now.  It's pretty, but I'm kinda tired of it!

My dogs have been slowing down, so I've been taking them for just a short run (1-2 miles) and bringing them back home before going back out to run longer.  But now even that seems too much for Tazzie, so I've started just walking with them, and letting them take lots of snowbank breaks.  Sad to see them getting old.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I hate to think how many hours that equates. Yikes.

Have a great evening all.

If you have the total miles widget on your summary page, it will tell you (if you really do want to know)

ie my paltry number yields almost 34 full days of running

5,080.4 mi 833:26:37

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice job to Tammy!  And David, too!

Yeah, wild...that is sad...they're such good dogs.

I went out and did 10.3 miles in 1:15:26, tonight.  It was beautiful out...68, sunny, and a light breeze...I could take this every day.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

I remember how Cheyenne slowed down as she got older. She used to love to run with me, but I rarely took her because she was all over the place with lots of stops to sniff and scratch. Then years later she'd run down to the end of the road with me, then stop and turn around and go home. Then she'd wait at the end of the driveway for me, almost no matter how long I took, she'd be there waiting, bouncing happily along when I came home and did my walk cool down. Then she'd sit at the top of the stairs and wait for me, giving me the happy face and tail wagging when I came up the stairs. Very sad to see them get old. I really miss that girl still and it's been a few years....

Tammy, that sounds like a pretty full weekend! Nice job for both you and David. Sorry about the rain though... camping in the rain is rarely much fun.

Legs pretty sore after my long run yesterday. Feels almost like I ran a marathon, my quads were sore going downstairs this morning! So it was just 5.3 easy miles today, in bright sunshine, a little more wind than I felt was necessary (I mean really....) and 60°.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wow wow Wild and Erika - except for the bow wow, that's me to a tee.

I’ve been slowing down so much too that any running now is so much just walking that I can’t even remember the last time I ran the full distance in a race of any length without stopping anymore. It was very hard to accept at first and made me very sad, and mad, and melancholy when I’d watch others, especially those in their 80's and ten years my senior, running without a care in the world as I used to do too. 
                          However, it also makes me more and more grateful for the memories of those days and eases any regrets as Father Time imposes his inexorable will on all of us. In particular, I can more and more appreciate what Clint Eastwood and seniors confirm about there being “lots of advantage in the aging process” too.
                          It keeps coming up but I’m glad I took the advice given us at the top of Mt. Fuji at 12, 380' in July 1985 by 100-year old Mr. Igarashi: “Enjoy yourself.  Your younger days never come again.”  I’m still glad I did and glad I still am.  I hope you all will be too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Wow, Tammy. Zippy runs in the family.

Hi Tramps.

(((((Ladybug and Tazzie)))))

Tet, you and TW have kept me from hanging up the shoes.

SteveP

mrrun

wow wow Wild and Erika - except for the bow wow, that's me to a tee.

I’ve been slowing down so much too that any running now is so much just walking that I can’t even remember the last time I ran the full distance in a race of any length without stopping anymore. It was very hard to accept at first and made me very sad, and mad, and melancholy when I’d watch others, especially those in their 80's and ten years my senior, running without a care in the world as I used to do too. 
                              However, it also makes me more and more grateful for the memories of those days and eases any regrets as Father Time imposes his inexorable will on all of us. In particular, I can more and more appreciate what Clint Eastwood and seniors confirm about there being “lots of advantage in the aging process” too.
                              It keeps coming up but I’m glad I took the advice given us at the top of Mt. Fuji at 12, 380' in July 1985 by 100-year old Mr. Igarashi: “Enjoy yourself.  Your younger days never come again.”  I’m still glad I did and glad I still am.  I hope you all will be too.

+1

Tet - you said it so well.