Masters Running

Sunday, 4/7 Another PNW start (Read 43 times)

Mariposai

What a lovely rain we are having around here.

No running to report, but I do look forward to my DS#2's first 17 miler today (in the rain Tight lips). For their long runs I am their water cherpa, which is a great fun.

Enjoy your Sunday, folks! As for me, I will do some yoga today to loosen up the very, very tight quads.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai and everyone still limbering up their posting digits.

Greta photo yesterday, Mariposai! Where's the RR??

I was up at 4:10 this morning, and out the door by 4:30. It was 27F with a light but noticeable breeze from the SE (usually it is from the west in the mornings, so I wondered what was up). It was pretty dark out, with stars twinkling overhead. After about 3 miles, I turned east and, through the trees I could see a fragile sliver of moon hanging low in the eastern sky, as if daring the sun to come up and catch it. It was a treat to catch some moon glow, and it put a smile on my face. A few miles later, as I cruised the coast, the horizon was a warming orange, the sky a rich blue, and the moon looked bright white against that blue - I wished I had a camera to capture that perfect combination of day and night. A little while later, the orange spread up the sky, lightening and brightening the blue, and the moon started to fade as the sun, still below the horizon, said "Gottcha!" From there till home, I was in daylight, and enjoyed the scenery as I rarely get to see it on my workouts. 14.1 miles today.

Have a satisfying Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Nice description Jay.

Good job Mariposai.

Tammy, meant to tell you how much I enjoyed the David pics the other day.

Funny how during the taper you do all the right things, but agonize over whether you are doing enough or being lazy.  My Sunday runs are always hard, either for endurance doing a long run which wears me out, or for speed, or both, but I know when it's Sunday I am going to be one tired dog.

Not today though.  I did 8 total:  2 easy warm-up, then 5 at MP minus 15 seconds, then one slow cooldown, which I think was just right. But the whole way home in the car I kept wondering if I should have done more.  I know better, but it is a weird feeling.  Spareribs

Tramps

Nice running this weekend, everyone.

Out on a rail-trail with a friend for an easy 10.1.  Beautiful Spring morning.  My tweaky foot felt fine after a couple of miles, so I'm good to go!

Be safe. Be kind.

janie b good

hello to all!

jay-- loved your description of the night melting into the morning.

3.47 miles for me in sunny, 61* weather (ahhh, spring!).

HELP!  still struggling!  this was my first week back running after having upper respiratory infection/sinus infection.  I missed 3 wks-- from running-- due to illness (had a 15 day course of amoxicillin).

prior to getting sick, my normal EZ run was at about 9:20 mile/pace... but now i'm struggling and doing 11 min miles!  does this seem normal?  I haven't been sick in a very long time (knock on wood), and haven't missed more than a week off from running in a very long time.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

janie b good

bumping this back up to the top... I was getting caught up on the weekend.

p.s.  mari-- loved the pics!  and holly-- good luck with today's HM.  pretty day!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

It makes sense to me, Janie.

Had one of my best really long training runs!  20 miles just under 10 minute pace and the last mile was the fastest by a lot.  Now I'm anxiously awaiting an update on Facebook for pfriese on his triathlon.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend. Looks lots of great runs and races being logged for many..... Me, I'm working on my couch PR here, having bagged my 15k race today because of this sinus head cold I've had since Thursday. Might be taking a recovery nap later on though, just because....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

happy Sunday greeting to all.  A breezy, beautiful spring day today. And I celebrated with my longest run ever--14.4 miles.  I finally made it over the half limit that I've been at.  Even kept it close to 10 m/m pace.

Congratulations to Mari and Carolyn on their successful races.  And happy taper to all the Bostonites.

Esther--sounds like a well planned day.  Nap sounds really good right now.

Didn't get out until late today.  I had to play cake sherpa for our friends across the street.  It's for their daughter's baby shower and is of the "Ace of Cakes" type with a giraffe family on top.  Both of them have bum knees, backs,and other ailments and didn't trust themselves to get it into the car.  DW volunteered my services. Was well behaved and didn't even offer a fake "Whoops".  Mainly because our neighbor would have come out of her skin if I had.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

Am I the only one who hasn't seen Mari's photos??? I can't find 'em!

5.9 miles today with 2 at marathon pace. I'm in full-on taper mode, very few miles here.

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

mari, beautiful picture from your marathon.  Congrats on completing another one.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, Tammy, Jay, Tramps, opie, and stumpy (longest ever).

This moring, it was in the low 50s and there was a pretty good wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

mari, beautiful picture from your marathon.  Congrats on completing another one.

Are you taunting me? Where are these photos?

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

New skirt in town

Oh, wait... I found one photo...and I'm suddenly overcome with the urge to run along the Yakima River...

dg.

hi Smile

(well.  it's a start...)

Marathon Maniac #957

Janie - I agree that could be normal, as your body recovers.  Be patient.

Opie - nice run!

13.1 for me today in 2:01:34, which was not too far off my intended goal, I stopped at 11.75 miles at a port-o-pottie and walked the aid stations.   (They filled the cups nearly full, and I didn't feel it necessary to be splashing Gatorade all over me on a training run.)  Also we had a fairly wicked wind on the second half, which seems to happen most years at this race, but it felt pretty good, given the warm temps.  Afterward I ran 7 more miles, running out along the course and finding my friend, running her in, and then running a bit more, then walking an additional 1.85 miles.

As usual in Ohio, the forecast changed dramatically in two days.  Instead of cool temps, wind and rain, we had sun, wind and warmth.  Not that I don't like it hot, but the low-70's at the end was not something I have acclimated to quite yet, althogh it was lovely to run in skirt and t-shirt for the first time this year.  Looks like spring has arrived.  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."