Masters Running

Tuesday Nov. 20, Hug A Runner Day! (Read 397 times)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

At this time in my life, I think 5 miles is about my limit. Maybe someday I'll want to run longer distances again. Maybe not.

The rest of this week I'll be packing for the move, running a little, cooking, and eating.......

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

So happy to hear that all the Monkey runners had a blast.  And some of you ran very respectable times!  I am almost jealous enough of these get-togethers to try to get into marathon shape again....but it's a long road to travel, one step at a time.

Tet - you are amazing.  I did not venture out for a run in the soaker of the year.  But this morning was mostly clear and it was a beautiful 5 mile run, 46F, light wind that felt a bit warm at times, and humid all the time.

I think I am going to try the streak challenge from Thanksgiving to New Years, so that I can maintain my motivation over this dark dreary and wet part of the year.  Anyone else?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the run part updatens ilene,

Now, how about the fun parts?.

ps - OM you are awesome. (second time in my life I've used that word)

. . . but, alas, My marathoning days are over.

Thank's okay, Henry, so are mine.
        However, we don’t know it out here in the PNW

with generous cutoff times in many marathons,

1-hr early starts, 2-hr remedial starts, etc.

tetsujin209 and you thought running on the wettest day of the year was a good idea because . . . ?

Thanks cat-cat. Oddly enough, after so many marathons, many marathon overachievers relish events that are distinguished in most any way, good or bad, it doesn't matter, from all those that preceded.  Thus, though I was on a major taper for my first 50-mile run in 2006, I joined a friend in a local marathon at the last minute with less than a week to go just for the sake of experiencing a new temperature PR - 102 degrees. 
        Similarly, the most memorable Seattle Marathons were in a Thanksgiving Weekend storm in 1990 when one of the Lake Washington floating bridges sank and again in 2006 for a boomer reunion in what-turned-out-to-be sleet and snow and chilly breezes.  I can barely remember/distingush the others. For some reason, however, all I remember about boomer goddess one is the apres-run hot tubs.  No wonder I love running so much.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

The monkey news, and a couple of pictures, were good.  There was lots of good running, a PR, some AG placings, and the pleasure of RA people getting together.  mari, congrats to your friend on her weight loss.  The picture says it all.  twocat, good news on your first authorized run since getting the moon boot.

Nice long runs for mari (2 and in the rain), ribs, and Tramps.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:05 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No run, again, tonight.  I was going to run with a guy from work but I got delayed and he got delayed and I was kind of thinking about taking another day off to let my heel heal, anyway.   BUT--since I had a little time on my hands--and because I know Holly is going to be there--I put together a training plan for the Kentucky Derby Marathon.  I suppose I should sign up for it now.

Okay--I gotta go--Ryan just got home!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

ps - OM you are awesome. (second time in my life I've used that word)

Wha?? What'd I do???

I'm signed up to do an 8k on Thanksgiving Day. I think I'm not going to run until then. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

BUT--since I had a little time on my hands--and because I know Holly is going to be there--I put together a training plan for the Kentucky Derby Marathon.  I suppose I should sign up for it now.

Hot diggity!  Woo Hoo!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, that was a nice visit...I guess his girlfriend is more important than me...BUT, since I had a little more time on my hands--I signed up for the Kentucky Derby Marathon! 

Mariposai

BUT--since I had a little time on my hands--and because I know Holly is going to be there--I put together a training plan for the Kentucky Derby Marathon.  I suppose I should sign up for it now.

Wow, our own Holly is just a traveler anymore!!! Before I know it she will be coming to WA state to run with me!

No running for me today, work and life just got too busy and besides, I ran hard for 4 days and I needed a rest.

My butterfly wings are flipping fast and hard to see twocat running 2 miles again! 

Cindy, don't worry about how many miles you run. Just get out there and run!

tselbs, 8 miles for you today. Great job.

Enkephalin, a road to a marathon is long, but when you are there...I will be there for you.

Off to start sorting my ingredients for our Thanksgiving dinner.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wha?? What'd I do??? 

I'm signed up to do an 8k on Thanksgiving Day. I think I'm not going to run until then. Smile

back-to-back marathons

Marathon Maniac

3rd Monkey AG

ho hum, just another day of running

lin an epic year of doing it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

back-to-back marathons

Marathon Maniac

3rd Monkey AG

ho hum, just another day of running

lin an epic year of doing it.

Well when you think of it, doing things like that is rather common in this group (Erika, Dove, Mariposai, Holly, Wildchild, just to name a few). You guys have all been my role models since I started about 4 years ago, so I never knew there was another way to run. Plainly put, if you hang around excellence long enough, you start to consider that as par. So in my mind, I'm finally up to par. Wink

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well when you think of it, doing things like that is rather common in this group (Erika, Dove, Mariposai, Holly, Wildchild, just to name a few). You guys have all been my role models since I started about 4 years ago, so I never knew there was another way to run. Plainly put, if you hang around excellence long enough, you start to consider that as par. So in my mind, I'm finally up to par. Wink

Well, I've got a ways to go before I hit par, but, like OM says, having a bunch of role models to emulate, makes it inspiring.  and something to aspire to.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.