Masters Running

Tuesday 5/12 (Read 39 times)

Beautiful pictures Carolyn!!  Love how you say we bailed with 27 miles as if that was a walk in the park!!

Murphy - forgot to add I love the pics of your kids!!  So cute!!

Computrainor intervals today were crazy!!  After our warm up we did 8 x 30 sec intervals at 150% of our threshold with 1 min rest in between then a 6 minute interval at 110% x 2 with an easy few minute spin between each set!! Yikes!!  Then I went and had my hairs cut and colored for a new spring look!!

denise

mrrun

Carolyn - beautiful pics - I hiked there 20+ years ago and have never forgotten the beauty.

archeology dig description for Roch and Amy - feel free to ignore

There are going to be at least 3 digs in Boston this summer - one in Franklin Park, one at Boston Latin School and the third at an Industrial School.  All of them are involving kids and volunteers - only the Boston City Archeologist is paid.  A dig consists of digging a test pit, screening the dirt and bagging any finds.  Every 10 cm, you start a new level which helps in identifying & dating the finds.  The depth and the size of the test pit depend on the dig.  Today, we found minimal stuff - it was near a playground that had an 1800ish school house on it, actually at mile 10 of the BAA half marathon.  Two years ago on a dig near Bunker Hill, we found native american stuff, ammunition from Revolutionary War, coins, and lots of pottery shards and pipes from the 1700's.  After the dig is finished, the stuff goes back to a Lab, where it is washed, sorted, and analyzed.  It's a lot of camaraderie and playing in dirt, which some of us never grow out of.  sorry if this is TMI...

description off

no running today, only lots of walking, digging, and screening!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Then I went and had my hairs cut and colored for a new spring look!!

sorry dear triathlon queen but can we get a peek too.

incidentally, is the Mother's Day tri so early in the season a series or something?

wow / wow / wow Carolyn. I've heard of running up-and-down a couple of mountains for ultra training but never heard of such an ultra gang driving hundreds of miles to camp out in another state to do it..  Such fun.

ps henry - yes yes yes,

Every time you race in the 80+AG, I bet lots of the younger, . . .well, other runners vow to be like you too.  To be realistic about it, my running days are long over but you're an inspiration for at least another ten years, . . I hope.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Greetings! Lots of good stuff here. Deez I love the palindromes this week and hope you get some good deliveries! I think Karin saw her boy at Mizzou.  Wildchild, your pictures are fantastic! I want to get out to those Utah parks while my DD is still in Colorado; she has gone to many of them to climb on block breaks and i would love to see the scene, do some trail running etc.

I have been ramping my mileage up now that ski season is over.  I am not training for anything but maybe I should sign up for something.  I am so damn slow though now! or so it seems.   40 years of running and some physical issues takes a toll.  This past weekend i ran 10 on the rail trail from  Lake Massabesic and about 13 on Sunday, same starting point but I diverted on some side trails to a loop around Tower hill pond, good trail but less flat than the rail trail. I also test drove new bikes and got one for  Mother's Day!  So now I can bike again!   I had given my prior bike to my DS because it was too big for me and hurt my back to ride.  Yesterday was just yoga and today, 6.5 mile run around town and a 3/4 mile swim.

Spring has sprung around here with a couple of mostly warm weeks and lots of blossoms and leaves. Sunday was too warm but otherwise it has been nice.  I am trying to outfox the chipmunks by planting a few tomatoes in pots on the roof ( a lower roof just outside a bathroom).  We shall see.  I just hope they don't form an airline.

And speaking of bacon... a restaurant has gone into our building below our office space; we put up with lots of jack hammers etc during construction and now that the restaurant is open, we have dealt with the persistent smell of bacon in the morning. Not so good. We are working  with the landlord and restaurant to temper things a bit.   In the meantime, I now hate cooking bacon.  I don't eat it but DS likes BLT and there are only so many sandwiches he will eat, so cook it I do, sometimes.  I don't see how it gets crisp in the microwave though..but that would certainly be faster.

Cheers!

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - wow, beautiful!  But tough!  Just like you....

Lamerunner - 3 slices between paper towels for 3 minutes - quite crisp.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You can help crisp up your oven roasted bacon by putting the bacon on a wire rack while it cooks.  I use a cooling rack.  This lets some of the fat drip off helping to crisp up the meat.

wildchild what beautiful area you get to run and hang around in!

I ran 16 miles this morning.  My last run over 13 miles pre marathon.  Now compare what willdchild saw on her run with what I saw

The Connecticut CrawlI

What you see here is something, not very affectionately, called the Connecticut Crawl.  My commute is bad, especially in the evening, but nothing like those stuck in that mess!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

sorry dear triathlon queen but can we get a peek too.

incidentally, is the Mother's Day tri so early in the season a series or something?

Tet if I could figure out to how post a pic here you could definitely get a peek!!   Maybe someone way more savy than I can pull over the pic I posted on facebook.

Yes - it is the first of the Max Performance triathlon series and it's always held on Mother's Day -- they love throwing us New Englanders in the cold water early!!

denise

Mariposai

Those pictures are breath taking! One must feel so carefree running among such giants of nature. Someday, someday.

Another long day at work today plus getting ready for our final wrap up meeting for the Orchards in Bloom race tomorrow. I have not ran a single step since my ultra marathon on Saturday, the Sunflower relay/ultra 27 miler. Weather was a bit hot for a race, but I had such a fun time on the trail. I will share some pictures later this week when I have more time.

Cheers my friends. I hope all the mamas here had a fabulous day!. I had the honor of hosting my dear friend Grace and her family over the weekend, so it was serving and cooking weekend for me, but I cherished every moment I can spend with my friend.

Off to weed the garden. Kale, swisschard and arugula are coming strong.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ok, I tried copying Denise's picture from Facebook and posting it here but apparently I'm doing something wrong. Holly, how do you do that?

(cute haircut as usual, Deez!)

Marj, that dig sounds fascinating! Yeah, probably lots of digging around with no results for awhile, but you're unearthing our history! Sounds awesome to me!

Beautiful pictures, Carolyn, but I think I have to say better you than me. Although the next day's outing looks like fun! Has your snow at your place melted yet?

Nice to see Lamerunner back at the running and biking!

I wanted to get out earlier today but didn't leave for my run till 5. My job is ridiculous. Way too much work for one person. Too many demands, too many extraneous requests for input, comment, edits, opinions, decisions, etc. Bleh. I know, lucky to have a well paying job, right? But it feels like it's eating me alive sometimes. Can't wait to retire. 4 1/2 years..... Just hope I make it.

Almost 7 miles on the trail behind campus today, finishing on the road by the reindeer farm. Just didn't want to deal with the bike ruts on the trailhead again. Nice day even though clouds moved in late this afternoon. After today, we should see low to mid-70's into the weekend and all of next week. Nice!

I had wanted to get out to the nursery to get seedlings after work tonight, and then maybe do some yard work later. But by the time I get home and get something to eat, I just want to veg out. *sigh* I need to schedule some days off....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the reality check tupurr.
                      No wonder trail races are getting so popular.
                      Good luck on your tri-series, deezie.
                      Not fun jumping in those cold May lakes though.
                      however, the $36 entry fee is way less than half our PNW tri’s.
                      Lot’s of short doo’s around here as our tri-season approaches in June, . . .
                      and thanks to your incentive, I’ve already signed up ($87.00 though - yikes). 
                      yippee.
                      ps - another hohum week for the butterfly.
                      sometimes I think the goddesses do more in a weekend than I did in my whole life.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

I made bacon in the oven this morning.  400° for 20 minutes.  Set the bacon on 2 sheets of parchment paper.  Turned out very good.  The bacon I have is thick so it took longer than the 15-18 minutes I had in my instructions.  Probably could have gone for a bit longer to get crispier.

mmmmmm Baked in the oven too!! No more splatters when cooking it neekid.

Jay, we've been unpacking boxes and crates with similar insanity.

Oh My Gosh, Wildchild! Oh Oh Oh Oh!

(((((Evanflein)))))

Where I'm at now, so far half of the sales staff have approached me to explain my primary responsibilities. Not one of them have told me the same thing. I was working in the rain most of the day and didn't motivate out the door after.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

My job is ridiculous. Way too much work for one person. Too many demands, too many extraneous requests for input, comment, edits, opinions, decisions, etc. Bleh. I know, lucky to have a well paying job, right? But it feels like it's eating me alive sometimes.

I know the feeling sometimes.....I love what I do, but there's just too much of it....

Nice haircut, Denise!  You are a lovely lady!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."