Masters Running

Thurs 1/15 Sunny Runs (Read 474 times)

Renee the dog

jlynne, I'm nowadays 100 or so miles south of there on the southern tip of NJ at the coast. But I know that stretch of river well. (many hours looking out our skyscraper window towards the Hudson). Disney half: only do it if you aren't going to take it too seriously. I'm in a funk right now that they switched the 1/2 in March to the same course that srlopez describes (and I think he's being kind with a count of 4 mi in park...).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

What do kids in Alaska do? They can't call off school every time the weather is cold up there.
      They go to school, that's what they do! We'll cancel after school activities if it's too cold or too much ice fog, but too cold usually means -40 but this past cold snap had some things cancel at -30. What we DO cancel school for is freezing rain, which can just be awful here in the winter, especially after a long cold spell where the ground is super-chilled. Now we're having temps in the 30 to 40 above range, and the roads are very icy. In fact, my son's basketball tournament in Healy (just outside Denali Park) was just canceled. Roads are too bad for the buses, hwy dept says "essential travel only."
      I'd like to do a survey of anyone that's ever done the Disney half or full marathon. I was trying to get my sister and niece to sign up but they said they had heard such negative things about people's experiences. How was it? Too crowded, too hot, etc. Would you do it again? Thanks for the feedback.
      Well, I just did the Disney full, and it was a lot of fun except for the start which was too early (not so much the start time, which was 5:50 a.m., but they want you there so flippin' early), too much waiting around (just like srlopez said) and too crowded at the beginning. I got stepped on a lot and almost tripped several times. DH didn't like the signage on the way to the start, it was almost like they were punishing folks who didn't stay at the resort hotels and use the buses. We had free airline tickets and a great rate on a hotel outside the parks but still very close. We bought stuff at a Winn Dixie to stock our room, and we tried to eat out only once a day. But it can be very expensive and while I'd like to do it again to see what official time I could get (long story), I think there are other options for a warm weather January race to try first.
      xor

Interestingly enough, I just found out that the plane was headed from LGA to Charlotte... and then was moving onward to Seattle. So now I need to go find out if I had any friends on it. Probably not. Though I suspect I do know some folks headed back from Disney through CLT that are probably wondering where the hell their plane is.

I just had these great photos sent to me by a club member who is injuried so he been walking with his camera We run past these twice a week http://web.me.com/danrunz/Youngstown_Road_Runners_Club/Club_Gallery/Pages/1112009_Chili_Run.htmlhttp://web.me.com/danrunz/Youngstown_Road_Runners_Club/Club_Gallery/Pages/1112009_Chili_Run.html

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Hey Sarge, your links don't work... post as pictures here?
            xor

Sarge, to post a picture, you need to surround it with the img tag. That said, I see that it is called "transparent.gif". That's usually not really the picture. Usually, that's a blank graphic that a website uses on top of the real picture so that you can't link the picture. Post a link to the page you are trying to grab the picture from and I can take a look. Edited to add: yeah, that's actually a fairly complex site from which to grab a picture to post directly here. Posting the link to the album in this case is mo bettah and certainly mo easy. Cool pictures too!

Renee the dog

Check out this picture of the passengers from the downed plane: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28679343/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/6/ There are other shots of folks who were sensible, in life jackets and life rafts. Not this crew in the photo -- they must all be New Yorkers.... "Well, I'm not going to Charlotte now. Might as well catch the ferry home..."

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Cool, Sarge, that worked! Nice running route and I see the one of you and DW too!
                    No running for me, but 4 miles walking with my Mr. CNYrunner at the college's indoor track and some core and weights. I may not snare that 3:15 this Spring, but I have abs of steel now! The USAirways story is wild. I will be flying from Hartford to Charlotte on Tuesday for work and I'll pay attention this time! The pilot and crew and all those who helped are to be commended. Mr. CNYrunner always tracks my flights on Flight Aware (he usually knows about delays well before the airline will announce them). If you look up this flight it reads as "completed" with a flight time of six minutes. I am just glad everyone got out of there. Jlynne, Good luck with your decision. I have run 3 Disney half-marathons and one full (all before they created the Goofy weekend). These were family trips when the kiddo was young enough and not in school or too deeply into school. We had a great time and I had good race experiences each time. You can actually see a picture of me running out of Cinderella's castle on the One More Mile web site. Egads. Variable weather---as high as 80s and as low as 30s and no outdoor pool action. We always stayed at the Swan and hit the Publix for groceries on the way in. I used points for hotel and airfare, so the costs were manageable. Once the kiddo is out of the house, we might go back again. Hockey season dominates all plans now. CNYrunner
                      Dropping in to say hi and to report running in the coldest temps ever for me: 23F when I started, down to 20F and wind chill of 7F when I finished. Stopped and bought new double-layer mittens and a cute SmartWool hat on the way home from work. Put on an extra layer on top and bottom compared to what I wear when it's in the 30s, and felt pretty good the whole way. Only ran 3 miles tonight, but since I wouldn't have DREAMED of running in this weather even last winter, I'm pretty proud of me. Smile You guys are all such a greta inspiration! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

spacityrunner

Monday: rest day Tuesday: zero Wednesday: nada Thursday: 4.2 in ~46 for ~11 m/m 25f winds 18 mph feels like 7. Brrrrrr Went to the p/t on Tuesday with my usual laundry list of this hurts that hurts. He worked me over and declared me ok to run. But I did not run Tuesday or Wednesday. Why??? I have been very tired this week, and a wee bit depressed, and I am kicking the caffeine habit. Mon, Tues, and Wed I was exhausted both when waking up and when I get home from work. My energy levels were low, low, low. And I was achy…so I said, yes, I may be “fit” to run, but it is not in my best interest to run today. And so I didn’t and it was o.k. There was a time when I would go out, just because that is what I was supposed to do. And when I was a younger person, I could do it. But I am not, and my body said I need rest, and so I gave it rest. And when I woke up this morning I had energy. And I knew that I was ready. So, at lunch today, I ran. And I feel good. And for me I have learned that feeling good is really what running is all about. Hugs to all that are facing challenges, you’re in my thoughts and prayers. Good day and good runs

Trails Rock!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Eliz! Can you send 23 degrees up this way, though, please?? It's -12 right now and will get colder by dawn.