Masters Running

Breakaway 5K (Read 183 times)

now this was fun!! we were staying at a campground in Old Orchard Beach, Maine - less than 2 miles from the race start --- i rode by bike there - YAHOOOOO!! no car traffic for me!! so i registered early - didn't get a t-shirt because i didn't pre-register and i wasn't paying $10 for a cotton t-shirt that was included in the pre-registration fee -- oh well -- no bigeee - then i tooled around on my bike for a bit, had a 1/2 cup of black coffee, did a bit of walking and some running to warm-up very glad the race was at 8am because the sun and humidity were already making the temps go up -- but i typically love heat and humidity so i'm not complaining (esp after all the rain we've had in New England) the race was small, fun and well organized..........as i was going up the one and only hill i spotted Bob on his way down -- he is soooooooooo fast!! i was so happy i found him later and could chat with him and his wife for awhile -- such nice people!! PR - 26:34 --- sooooooo happy!! and i felt great!! fashion report - my MVS singlet, black shorts, white BostonMarathon cap -- same as always!! after talking with Bob i decided to walk around for a bit and see if any of my friends we were camping with showed up and i found them in the Dunkin Donuts line -- seems they had a very late night the night before and by the time they made it to the finish area it was about 4 minutes after i had already crossed -- oh well -- so cool of them to even try to cheer me on!! i stayed around a little longer to watch the kids under12 fun run - they are soooooooo cute!! some of these little kids are track stars in the making!! then i biked back to the campground to make a big breakfast for my sleepy family before heading back to the beach!! this was a great day!! life is good!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Cool! What a joyful report to read. You got a PR, didn't have to drive, and met another RA virtual friend! Sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Denise, it sounds like a sweet race!!! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

It sounds like everything was perfect, deez. Congrats on a PR and a fun time. TomS
            very glad the race was at 8am because the sun and humidity were already making the temps go up -- but i typically love heat and humidity so i'm not complaining (esp after all the rain we've had in New England)
            I guess I'm a bit on the other side, I really dislike the humidity. However as you said after all the rain and crappy weather we've had here in New England I'll take a day like Saturday morning any day of the week...now that hailstorm later in the day....I can do without that! Wink You are so right Denise this is really a nice little race, very well orgnaized and such a nice course right along the beautiful coast of Maine, how can you beat it? It was so nice to meet you, I'm really glad that you took the opportunity to come over and introduce yourself. Congratulations on running a great race, a PR is always a very cool thing isn't it. This is still my PR course for the 5K as well. Big grin Hope to see you here again next year...maybe then I'll think about getting a photo...DUH!
            coastwalker

Hi Denise, Congrats on running a great race and setting a new PR!! Maybe your bike-and-black-coffee warm-up is the way to go for all your future 5Ks. It's very cool that you got to meet Bob and his wife, that some friends came to cheer for you (even if they got there a bit late for the speedster that you are), and that you stayed for the kid's fun run (always a treat to watch). And it is amazing that you did all that and got back to the campground in time to make breakfast for your sleeping-in family - what a morning!!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Well done on the PR Denise. You sure know what the joy of running means, in everything you write. Glad you caught up with my enemy Bob. My family used to vacation in Saco, ME when I was little and I have fond memories of old cabins, blueberries and pine. Great report. Spareribs
                HermosaBoy

Excellent!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Henrun

Congrats deez. I used to live in Kennebunkport and ran in Saco many times. Brings back many fond memories.

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent PR, Denise!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Denise... A great race, fast time, PR...what a day! Big fat congrats to you. DickyG