Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.11.14 (Read 36 times)

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Best of luck and fun to the Reach the Beach group! It is raining now but supposed to be much better tomorrow and most of Saturday. I am impressed that Mariposai and Twocat ran 17.5 yesterday!!!  Hard core.

I ran about 8 yesterday around town, and about the same this morning. Nice and cool, 48 yesterday, 55 today. I also swam 3/4 miles today at lunch.

Happy birthday to Karin! I hope you have a nice celebration planned.

Did anyone hear the NPR story about the tradition of having  cats in the Scottish ( or Scotch) distilleries? Apparently there was one, Towser the Mouser, back in the old days, which caught 28,000 mice. I am skeptical, that is 7 per day for 20 years, no days off. and cats are lazy. Good story though. DD says she has to get her kitten in training!  I think the insulation is better now, and there are fewer mice around, but they still have the cats.

Our cats solve the suitcase problem by jumping in and going to sleep.

Happy Thursday!

Just a quick response to Enke - Get some of the other dog's things and bring them into your home so your dog can get used to the smell.  It helps to introduce them slowly to the idea of one another if they don't get along well.  When you're together this weekend, feed them apart so neither feels like he/she has to protect his/her food.  Don't play any games where they have to compete with one another.  See if that helps calm the situation.

I gotta go.  Too busy at work to say anything else ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

17.5 a day before relay?  you guys are gluttons for punishment!

My thoughts exactly. I had to go back and re-read that to make sure...! Hope you guys all have a great time. We will be expecting a full report with photos, of course.

28,000 mice? Yeah, sounds like a wee bit of exaggeration there. And who counted them over all those years? Hmmm. I agree with the cats are lazy thing. Even a good mouser wouldn't be quite that industrious.

Nice update from Enke! I'm so glad things are going well. The dog thing might just be a matter of time. I like Leslie's suggestions. And yes, watch those speed bursts, they can make things go pop.

Happy birthday to CNYrunner! Welcome to the new age group! When is the celebratory VT race?

Hats off to anyone serving as RD... I know I'm not cut out for that sort of job and I very much appreciate those who are!

I'm starting to do long range forecast peeking now and then... so far so good! The next week and a half or so here look great with highs in the low to mid 60's (I think there's even a 70 out there), low's in the 40's and not much chance for rain. Wow! Dare I hope for good conditions for the 20th? Trail run yesterday, trails kind of wet still. Legs felt pretty tired but not sure why, other than ran a little too hard. I'll probably run a few later today, after we take Abby to the vet (again). We hope to get that feeding tube removed today so she can start getting back to being a somewhat normal cat.

Sayhey! MM#130

Quick jog by--leaving for DC early in the am, excited to see college roomie (Leslie) again and find out more about Abebe Bikila!

Happy Day, Karin!

Also just have to note it is SNOWING in South Dakota, so glad I'm here where it doesn't DO that!

good fun run last night and my 4 mile bagel jog this am--rye with caraway seeds, yum.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...Happy B'Day CNY//...........and Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just stopped in to say hi and post my run.  9 miles in 1:09:09, including the middle 3 in 20:22.

That's it...gotta go.

Nice workouts lame runner. How long does it take you to swim 3/4 mile? You must get a long lunch break.

Ribs and the Saint, good job to tough out the weather, running can be such a mind game.

Enke, you have some great suggestions for getting the dogs to play nice. Have a good weekend.

Leslie, I thought of you when I headed into the salon for a cut, color and eyebrow wax. No harm done, whew!

Erika, we can't trust the weather predictions from day to day, hope yours holds out for the 20th. We should have a low of 34 tomorrow night, then up to 50 by race time. It is the wind that gets me and that should be around 5mph, nice.

Happy birthday, Karin. A new age group is always a bonus with those milestone birthdays.

I am glad that you got a run in today, Henry, you'll be back in no time.

I am cheering across the miles for the Rosie Ruiz Race Team.

Smokey (the black lab) leaves tomorrow for a whole month with the trainer, not just 2 weeks like I thought. Thousands of hunters come to SD to hunt and pay the guides to use local dogs. We don't get any of the pheasants until She comes home for the MN opener.

No running today but a short run tomorrow to make sure I am ready for the 10K.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Thanks for all the birthday cheer folks! Despite what that rascal Ribs said, there was not a piece or even crumb of cake to be had! It was a working birthday, but that's okay since September 28 in Vermont marks the celebration. There are gourmet cupcakes at the VT50 and that will keep me moving to the finish line for sure.

Sorry I haven't been around as much. Work has been non-stop and then on Sunday, super-granny fell and broke her hip and needed surgery. Needless to say, I was focused on all of that. She came through surgery well and is in rehab now. She even walked almost all the way down the hall (100 feet) with a walker today. She may well see that 104th birthday in November.

I'll need to catch up here soon, but thanks again so much for the birthday wishes. Ever since 2001, I've felt odd feeling "happy" on this day.

SteveP

(((((SuperGranny)))))

SteveP