Masters Running

The Ave of the Giants 2014 RA meet up temptation (Read 81 times)

mrrun

just as an fyi - we have used airbnb.com lately more than vrbo and been very happy

marj

TammyinGP

those look nice also, Wildchild. I like the idea of a walk to the beach, although it's not all that warm that time of the year anyways.  I just wish there was something closer than Eureka - that's about 40 miles away - but I have stayed that far away before ( due to lack of planning and that's the closest I could find), so it's certainly worth considering. Plus, we'd be in Leslie's hometown. Although then we'd be farther from Henry/Marj and OM/MR.OM.   Decisions, decisions.

So, I take you and your DH are planning on driving out then? how long would you be staying?

We might have to start another thread just on accomodations to get input from everyone.

Tammy

If anybody stays in Eureka, you'll be about 30 min +/- from the race site.

I'm not staying with you all (obviously), but I like the idea of renting a house/cottage or whatever for the majority of the folks.  Dinner in would be a lot more relaxing than a restaurant.

Not to sound, well, not to sound anything, because I would love to have everyone over at our house.  But I know you all will be wanting some beers and wine, and right now we can't have it in our house.  On the other hand, we'll definitely be part of dinner, whether it's at a restaurant or a house or cottage has been rented, or whatever.  Shorty loves to cook, and would probably love to work his magic in the kitchen.  (Yes, I'm volunteering him without asking, so no promises. Smile )

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

That would be great Leslie!

When several of us got a house on Lake Washington for the Seattle Rock and Roll, it was definitely the way to go - not only expense wise, but for meals, relaxation, visiting, etc. it was just so nice to have a large comfortable house to be in. So much better than separate hotel rooms, coordinating to meet for meals at restaurants, etc.

I'm so looking forward to this gathering. it'll definitely be a highlight of 2014 for me and motivates me to train better for the marathon since I'll be running with so many of my talented RA friends!

Tammy

Maniac 505

i'm in with whatever is decided.  i expect to arrive saturday and leave sometime monday

Mariposai

That would be great Leslie!

When several of us got a house on Lake Washington for the Seattle Rock and Roll, it was definitely the way to go - not only expense wise, but for meals, relaxation, visiting, etc. it was just so nice to have a large comfortable house to be in. So much better than separate hotel rooms, coordinating to meet for meals at restaurants, etc.

Yes! I think a big house like the one we had on Lake Washington will be fun, and when it is divided by many it is not that expensive.

and we have a chef!!! Shorty!!!! how much can we ask!

Go tamster go!!! go leslie go!!! find us all a good big house to stay at! BTW.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bump, just to tease La Tortuga and other folks

Big grin

Okay - it took me long enough. If I can run an 8 miler this week-end, I am in.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

Okay - it took me long enough. If I can run an 8 miler this week-end, I am in.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I AM definitely IN, remember, and like the idea of a big house party, I mean a big house to rent!

I am ok with either location, it would be nice to be near the others (OM and Henry/Marj), but I will defer to those actually making the plans, obviously.

Mariposai and family, we can carpool down there in my new car.  I guess I can take up to 3 passengers.

We should start a list of RA masters registered for the race, and other maybes.  Seems to me it is starting to get long?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Well, temptation got the better of me and I don't care if this will be my second marathon in California.  Sue and I will be there.  We now have reservations at the Miranda Gardens, Cabin 4A. Thanks Tammy for the heads up.  For anyone else interested in this location, they still have a big cabin available (cabin 8).  Its only 20 miles from the start.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

wildchild

Carolyn

So I was tallying up the folks who are coming -  by my count we have 5 couples, 5 solo goddesses, and 1 solo guy.

Henrun & Marj

Mariposai & Easy Pacer

Mike & Sue Rasmussen

OM & Mr. OM

Leslie & Shorty

dg

Tammy

Enke

Carolyn

LaTortuga

divechief

Anyone I missed?    (MikeE? )

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I was just going to scroll through the thread and see who all has said they are going or are strong possibilities. Thanks for compiling that list Carolyn!

Since 3 couples are now staying at Miranda, my vote is the large cabin there also.  And leslie/shorty wouldn't be staying with us at Miranda, but would join us for a meal or two.

Henrun & Marj: Own Cabin

Mariposai & Easy Pacer: cabin share

Mike & Sue Rasmussen: Own Cabin

OM & Mr. OM: Own Cabin

Leslie & Shorty: staying at their house

dg: cabin share

Tammy: cabin share

Enke: cabin share

Carolyn: cabin share

LaTortuga: cabin share

divechief: cabin share

that would leave 8 people cabin sharing, so we could book Cottage 8 that accommodates 8 people.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

But cabin 8 only has 5 beds...   and since Posie and her DH are the only ones sharing a bed, we need 7 beds total.   I guess a couple of us could sleep in sleeping bags on the floor but that will be awfully crowded!   Maybe we could also book another cabin so we have a few more beds and another bathroom.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I can call down there and look at booking a couple of smaller cabins that would still accommodate us all. Yes, cabin 8 would require that some of the single people wouldn't mind "sharing" a queen bed in order to accommodate all 8 and allow everyone to actually have a bed to sleep on, but that might be ackward. She did say that Cabin 8 is very spacious and can easily accommodate rollaways also, but perhaps it'll be better to go with two smaller sized cabins that would still make room for everyone in our group. I'll call tomorrow to see what is available.

Tammy

Mariposai

bump.

BTW, I am hoping that we can lure in the Beers and other runners such as Sans Souci...that will be a blast!