Masters Running

Tuesday Daily, 2.26.13 (Read 40 times)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  This one will be pretty low key.  More on that later.

deez4boyz the word "treadmill" and phrase "felt great" should never appear on the same page.  Now treadmill goes perfectly fine with "torture" or "miserable" or other such words.  Just saying.

Holly S.  I hope the bifocal contacts work out eventually.  After getting lasiks I managed to be glasses and contact free for years.  Now I am back to glasses and I hate them.  Gee, just like before! Imagine that! Sad

mainerunnah for sure I will be happy when all this snow goes away and we have nowhere near what you have.  My sympathies to your friend and his family.  The poor kids knowing the prognosis there entire adult lives.  So sad.

divechief I am soooo jealous!  Having 20/20 eyes!  I am going to have to start strongly disliking you! Angry

fatozzig the answer is yes.  Moew.  What you thought only dogs could post here?  Big grin  I am not sure about where you are but our geese are descended from domestic geese from back in the 1800s when they were farmed for food.  I read a story quoting a local ecologist saying they were crowding out those actually descended from wild geese.  Apparently the wild descendents fly south for the winter.  As he put it a domestic descendent would now know Canada if you drove it there.  He was also in favor of getting rid of the domestics before they wipe out the wild ones.  Yes, the domestic variety here in the winter destroy everything as well.

Mariposai pretty impressive your cooking lessons there!  Next see how he does smoking an eggplant.

coastwalker good luck with your continued recovery.

tomwhite best wishes to your being pain free from here on in!

tesujin209 soon I doubt you will need to get any magazine in paper form and then you can probably tell the screen to display it in B&W.

tselbs that is so great when a run goes like that!

henrun a comeback is a comeback.  I should know!  So congratulations on yours.

OrangeMat I do not really get the super slow training thing but it seems to be working for you and that is good to see.  Somehow though I suspect Chicago will go faster than you think.  As to "injury free" and "for good" may, alas, not be in the cards for me.  But I really, and I do mean really, appreciate the thought!

Opie a track workout is always rough on the ego.  But they help even if it feels like it did not go swimmingly.

TammyinGP bummer looks like we missed each other at Grandma's Marathon by only a year!  Maybe next time.

mrrun man I wish I could run home from work!  It is really nice when you can keep home and office close.

tetsujin209 and TammyinGP knock it off with the not-English!  I spent 5 years taking Spanish in junior and senior high and can only say "no hablo Espanol."  Sad but true. Disapprove

This year my birthday celebration is pretty tame.  In years past my DW has thrown me a party but I think we are both burned out from entertaining at the moment.  So instead we are going to my favorite restaurant in the area.  A small place called Le Farm that is pretty much impossible to book a table at less than a week in advance.  You can, for a corkage fee, BYOB and we have a good bottle for tonight.  Then if I can stay sober enough I plan to open my Pappy's bourbon as well!  That may yet have to wait until tomorrow night.  But if not for my birthday when?  Big grin  In exercise news today was an elliptical day.  Tomorrow is 14 and it looks increasingly like it will be on the TM.  Ugh! (Note to deez4boyz ugh and treadmill can also go together.)

Last but not least, while my ankle and for that matter most of me is not recovered enough to race I am running.  So I figured it was time for a new avatar between those two.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

tetsujin209 and TammyinGP knock it off with the not-English!  I spent 5 years taking Spanish in junior and senior high and can only say "no hablo Espanol."  Sad but true. Disapprove

So instead we are going to my favorite restaurant in the area.  A small place called Le Farm

i'm not very good at not-english . . . but is that French for "The Farm" ?

Joking

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

I just dropped in quick to say...

Happy birthday, Towcat!

Nice run Tom!  Really nice run!

Okay...gotta go!

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Twocat!

Maine - so sorry for your friend.  I can imagine nothing worse than losing a child, at any age.

Work is so stressful the last week of the month, this month more than usual.  (breathe, breathe)

9 miles this morning in 35-ish, just before the rain started.

I just noticed my tulips are beginning to break ground!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OrangeMat I do not really get the super slow training thing but it seems to be working for you and that is good to see.  Somehow though I suspect Chicago will go faster than you think.  

Just to clarify.... I will be racing the Wineglass Marathon on October 6, hoping for a sub 4-hour time. Chicago is the following week, and I'll be running that with a friend whose pace  is 11:00. Today's run was recovery-paced because tomorrow's will be a much harder effort. I run 6 days per week, and so something's got to give in order to "rest" on the non-hard days. So I run "super slow" as you described it.

Holly, 9 miles in 35-ish?? Was that the temperature or the time? Nice run for a weekday, especially for someone as busy as you are. I'll help you breathe, the best I can...

OK, so I can't hold back anymore, I need to share this: I finally broke 200 miles in a month today! And the month's not even done yet AND it's a short month! Yeah, these silly little number things make my day. Smile

Maine - so sorry to hear about your son's friend - heartbreaking

TwoCat - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  I really dont mind the treadmill for under 6 mile runs - anything more than that and ugghh is right!!

Holly - nice run!!

OM - you will be a true MANIAC!!

Posai -- I am getting excited!!  I am going to be a Nonna Cool

Today was a 12 hour work day and I felt like I was beat up by pregnant women all day!!  It was crazy in there!!

denise

Hmmm, beat up by pregnant women all day......I'm sure those pregnant women in labour have their own unique swear words!

Twocat, happy birthday!

No, have not run in awhile, but I hear it is OK to post anyway.  Blush

Holly, when is your next vacation?  Sounds like you could use one.

Team Challenge keeps calling me.  They need a volunteer and I need motivation to run, plus a weekend in Napa would be nice too.  Not sure what to do.

Oh yeah, the vacation in Arizona was awesome.  Wish I was still there.  (or is it "were"?)  Received emails while I was gone about how much work would be waiting for me on Monday.  Don't people understand, when I am on vacation, I DO NOT CHECK WORK EMAILS!  I (almost) completely unplug.  I am confident my little slice of the world can manage without me for a week.

Maine's friends {{{}}}

Mike and Eric {{{}}}

Sorry if I missed anyone needing hugs.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

i'm not very good at not-english . . . but is that French for "The Farm" ?

Joking

*snicker*

The Geese - They are wild geese that used to come for a few weeks then leave, however, a number of years ago, they discovered that Humboldt County is quite a nice place to spend the winter.  Also over the past few years, their numbers have increased dramatically and they have become a huge problem for the ranchers as the geese pulled the grasses up by the roots (as opposed to just eating the tops) and destroy the fields that feed the cattle.  The ranchers are not allowed to kill them, but . . . . . . what the Dept of Fish and Game doesn't know won't hurt 'em.  Right?

I feel sorry for the ranchers and understand their hatred of the geese (my boss married into one of the largest ranching families in this area), but it sure is quite a sight to watch and listen to them fly over every day/evening.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maine, my heart goes out to your friend and his family, so tragic.  Jay, I sure hope your hip starts feeling better soon.  You all on the east coast have gotten hit with the snow this year, that’s for sure.

Ribs, congrats on a fine race.  You’re always learning something, aren’t you?  That was great that riblet ran those last miles with you.

Tselbs, I’ve noticed that you’ve been getting faster lately.  Good job!

Happy birthday to twocatLeslie, we have migrating geese that stay for a week or two… that is awesome when they all start landing on the lake.  The noise is deafening right outside our door in the  late fall evenings.

You guys impress the heck out of me with your long runs.  Also those who persevere through physical struggles.  I’m not sick or injured, just sick of winter.  I went out for the usual run around the lake. 4.7 miles at a slow 14:01 pace.  I don’t care how slow right now, just get it done without falling.  No ice on the pavement today so that was a success.  I have a friend coming to MN from DC.  She actually was my babysitter and our mom’s were BFF’s.  My momma is going to be 98 tomorrow and her momma would have been 100 next week, hence the trip to MN to gather with her relatives.  I feel honored that she drives all the way down here to visit mom and me.  She’s been running for 8 years or so too and claims to be “The slowest runner on earth”, but we’ll see about that.  We’ll run on Monday morning and I'm looking forward to that.

Oh, I started wearing glasses in 4th grade, quit wearing them in 7th grade to be cool.  After squinting to see the blackboards that year, I got contact lenses.  Now I’m back to glasses, although bifocals are a pain.  I can newspapers and books  (I like large print) OK without them but street signs are a bit fuzzy.

Gotta go get mom’s cake frosted.  I’m taking off tomorrow afternoon and we’re getting manicures at the beauty school, then will have cake at the assisted living facility where she lives.  I hope I have a card here somewhere.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

OK, so I can't hold back anymore, I need to share this: I finally broke 200 miles in a month today! And the month's not even done yet AND it's a short month! Yeah, these silly little number things make my day. Smile

You go girl!!!

Impressing and inspiring!!! It is time to call the dancing banana pal!!!

go OrangeMat, ggooo!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

arf

MM #405

Busy last few days at work.  This is going to be a long week.  Easy 6 miles for me today.

I'm lucky my eyes are still good...no glasses yet

Happy Birthday Twocat !!!!!

Maine - As Holly said, nothing could possibly be worse than losing a child.

Leslie - So funny about the Geese.   I live right on the river and every spring and fall they fly over my house to nest in ponds nearby.  The sound Is deafening!

OM - 200....so awesome! you GO GIRL!

Hi Enke !!   So glad you had fun in AZ!!

Ribs - HUGE Congrats on your first Ultra!    I really enjoyed your write-up!   I think the Ultra people are different.   They strongly encourage and care about fellow runners and their own pace/race doesn't seem to matter as much.

I believe when running Ultras, it's not your competitors you need to worry about........it's that little voice inside your head that says..."I'm tired and I'm hurting and I want to stop".    And you say "No,  keep going, just a little farther"    

Sweet dreams all

arf