Masters Running

40's on the run - on the move again (Read 839 times)

Mtnchk/Cindy/Glitterkiss - I am a die-hard country fan, although I listen to almost all genres of music. Grew up on country. That old Barbara Mandrell song, "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool" - that was me. I remember my cousins making fun of me, kids at school making fun of my Wranglers and Levis. Then Garth Brooks came along and, OH MY GOSH! The whole world became country fans!! Those of us who had been listening to country for years, the likes of Jim Ed Brown and Helen Cornelius (anybody remember them?), Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Merl Haggard, Tammy Wynette, Lynn Anderson, etc., etc., we had to "prove" that we'd been country fans all along. (Do I sound bitter? Nah. . . okay, not anymore Smile ) And what about the country songs that were re-recorded at "dance songs." What the $@!! was that movement all about?? Oh , re Sawyer Brown. Shortly after they won Star Search, they were a free show on the main drag of the San Luis Obispo County Fair, the fair I went to as a kid. They were great!! And of course - Welcome to the new folks. Come flounder along with the rest of us!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

mtnchk - Yeah, Dr. D! I listened religiously every week back in high school. Even had an LP he put together. My favorite was Tom Lehrer. Love seeing the music list. Always looking for something new, or something old that I had forgotten. My latest find is Tinariwen, from northwest Africa, they do amazing guitar work. Imagine NW African folk meets the US blues. Yabba - oh, you're one of those FAST guys, eh? You know that means we're all going to hit you up for advice. Smile Welcome, Tim C., glad you found us! Thanks Leslie for putting the announcement out there! Arla

Ex runner

Hi guys! Sounds like everyone is having a good time grooving, boogeying, boot scootin', or whatever to the music. Leslie, you would fit in well here in TX. It's always been cool to be country here Big grin. Welcome to our newer 40ish folks. Yabba dabba....love that name! Thanks Mtnchk for the altitude tips. No coffee though, that's harsh! Would be OK with hubby though...he hates the stuff. Still trying to get over the crud here. This was a weird one. Really thought I was done with it earlier this week and even had a good run on Tuesday. Then...whammo, here it comes again. So I haven't really worked out since then other than a few dog walks I had booked. Was hoping to go check out the local running group on Saturday, but probably not a good idea this week. Happy weekends to all? We gonna start a new thread on Sunday?
        Progress Trumps Pefection
        BTY

Good Morning Everyone. Country Music and Running have been kind of parallel in my life. As a kid, I only went running when I had to, and only listened to country music when I had to. "Gloom, Despair, and Agony on me". "woe". "Deep Dark Depression, Excessive Misery. "Woe"... Now I enjoy running almost every day and I enjoy listening to country almost every day. But I can't run to country music. I tried it once and it threw my cadence waaaay off. I'm hoping to get out for a fourth run of the week for the first time since the second week of November. (I just checked my new log on here. It's taking me a little while to get used to this new one but it's obviously far superior to the one on CR. Lots of bells and whistles.) But it's raining lightly here today and I'm not anxious to go out and run in the rain with this forever headcold. Good Runs Everybody. I'm glad so many of us made the jump over to here. Hope the others eventually come over as well. bty
            Good Morning Everyone. Now I enjoy running almost every day and I enjoy listening to country almost every day. But I can't run to country music. I tried it once and it threw my cadence waaaay off. bty
            It's because you need one cadence for if the dog left the guy, and a different cadence if the wife left, took the dog and the truck, and ran over his shotgun, as well. Big grin Only had time for 40 minutes of cardio. Had to get out of the house by 7:30 to run all kinds of errands before I had to be at work at 8:30. It's 9:00 now, and I feel like I've already put in a full day's work! Carol and Brian - Aren't these head colds a $-i-t-c-h? It's like nothing I've ever dealt with before. Waaaaah! Cry Heard on the news this morning that because of California's budget woes, Governor Arnold is closing down some state parks, and I believe it includes the park in which we like to trail run. That definitely sucks. Karen will just have to figure something else out while I'm gone!! Smile It's gonna be another gorgeous day here in the Ole North Coast! You all have a Fantabulous Friday and ane even better weekend! Candy Dazzlethighs a.k.a. . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks, TGIF!! A loud and hearty Welcome to all new 40's friends! Smile Out the door @ 5:30 this morning.About a quarter mile in the books when the sky opened up.Would have stuck it out if it was only pouring rain,but the lightning and thunder was enough to turn me around.Hope to finish my run later. Roll eyes Leslie~ Good luck on your vacation.Be sure to keep us informed! Have a good one all Cool

sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Hi, y'all... I haven't been run over by a truck or anything; but I haven't run in a while. I'm going to. Real. soon. now. Have a great weekend! Evil grin

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey sillybear, there you are! The holidays mess with your running schedule? Leslie - I'm wondering what it means if state parks close. It may just mean that campgrounds and bathrooms close, you might still have access to the trails - maybe you'll have to park on the street. I've finally shed my holiday pudge. Don't know how it got there, I *tried* to be good, honest! Probably a lot of it was bloat due to all the eating out and salty foods and such. And wine. And desserts - ugh. Dang, they just announced on the news that Marion Jones got a 6 month jail sentence. Imagine what would happen if they jailed everyone who had ever taken steroids? I remember watching my high school coach pop dianabol right in the classroom. He also coached olympic-level athletes, I'm sure all of them were on the juice as well. I guess someone's got to take a fall - hopefully the spectre of jail time will keep kids off synthetic hormones. Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

3.1 this morn without apparent problems kinda makes me wonder if the mri is necesary but at least we will know. NJ Joe, finally put my reading glasses on and realized it was NJ not NY, my apologies, blame it on this over 40 stuff. Lightning is nothing to mess with, glad you called off your run there will be other days. SB thanks for stopping in. Sending crud healing vibes to Carol and BTY Arla, Jonathon was talking about the baseball steroids thing with Clemmons, his comment is track atheletes are probably one of the most tested. I really wanted to believe Marion Jones was clean, does seem pretty stiff. Candy, er um I mean Leslie when do you leave on vacation? In class Jonathon had some good stuff about a technique to replace tempo runs, if I can link to the article in his mag I will post it. I better get to work, good weekend folks, BTW my vote is to start a new weekly thread here but will do whatever "my people" do. Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I like the idea of a weekly thread. Cuts down on the enormity of the thread, 'cause sometimes we can be quite the little chatters! Since you asked, I am officially on vacation as of whenever I leave work today, but we don't drive down to the Bay Area until Sunday morning, and then we fly out of San Fran early, early Tuesday and get to Prague on Wednesday. We fly from here to Atlanta, and then from Atlanta, it's a 15-hour flight. Ugh! Dead I won't be taking my laptop with me (shudder), so unless I'm able to find and figure out an Internet Cafe over there, I won't be able to keep you updated on my adventures. But rest assured, I will give you a post-full when I get back! Pictures and all! Okay, gotta be back to work . . . Blush

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm all for renewing the thread weekly as well, mostly because it's more inviting for newbies. Who wants to jump in on a 53-page thread? Leslie - we'll keep the light on for ya Smile Arla

Ex runner

"Gloom, Despair, and Agony on me". "woe". "Deep Dark Depression, Excessive Misery. "Woe"...
                          "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. woe. Gloom, Despair, and Agony on me." Big grin
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hey all you Fab Forties~ I'm for a new thread too.My shrinking brain can't keep up. Finished what I started and got in a 7.4m run to the fields and back tonight.Kinda wet and slipped off the side of a painted curb and obtained a sore right ankle to match my sore left foot!Walked it off,finished the run, and fortunately feel ok. Have a great weekend everyone !!! Smile

Welcome, Evryday! If you're a country music fan, you're OK in my book! (Oklahoma - OK . . . sorry . . . Roll eyes ) Had a really great 7-mile trail run this morning. It was wet, muddy, and fun! I got a little wetter than normal, however. First, I get to Karen's house, pull my pack out of the car, and think, "Hm, it's not as heavy as I thought it was." Well . . . I guess the hose/mouthpiece of the bladder was under the pack, which means the part you suck on to get the fluid was squished wide open, fluid leaked out all over the floorboard of my car. . . . all 48 oz. My purse got soaked, my pack was soaked, when I pulled out my floor mat, the liquid was little flowing off it. Great! So as I'm cleaning up the mess, Karen refills the bladder using her GU2O. We're about an hour into the run, she has to stop and visit the backside of a tree, I'm standing there thinking, "Hmmm, my butt sure does feel cold." I reach around and my entire backside is soaked. She didn't roll the neck down tight enough on the bladder and also put it in the wrong slot on the side of the pack. It just wasn't my day, liquid-wise! Blush Well, I'm all packed! I tell ya, I can get more in a suitcase . . . I bought a new pair of trail running shoes yesterday, so I'm taking those instead of my regular ones and will see how the blister situation goes. (I figure the trail shoes will give me better grip if there's snow and ice.) Right now I have a nice blister on the upper edge of my left big toe. That's a whole new spot! Popped up for the first time last Saturday. Seriously irritating. Well, that's it 'til I get back in two weeks. You guys are gonna miss me, aren't ya?!? (um . . . please say, yes) Anybody heard from Tamara?? Later!!!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance