Masters Running

3.9.13 Saturday's Daily (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow - lots of weather, birthday cakes, green stuff, and catching up yesterday. I like the ways that Holly and Marj each celebrated their birthdays, and hope the celebrations continue through the birthday weekends. Twocat, it is too bad that you learned that you need to stay closer to home for a St. Paddy's Day race, but you'll have a fine time anyway.

I had a quick snow blower workout yesterday morning, and a delightfully painful massage in the afternoon. She worked mostly on my piriformis, IT bands, and hamstrings. I told her she didn't have to go easy, and she took me at my word. There were knots in my pirformis that a Boy Scout wouldn't have been able to untie, but she did great work on them. We agreed that I'd take a day off from working out today, and start up again tomorrow. So I missed an op. to get in a final slightly sun-lit early workout before Daylight Savings Time thrusts me back into darkness for another 60 days. So it goes...

Best wishes to this weekend's racers:

03/09 C-R -One America Training Series 10k <41

03/09 TammyinGP - Shamrock 5 Mile, Central Point, OR

03/09 Ileneforward - Lakewood Community Run, Lakewood CA

03/10 SLOjim - 10K Coaster Run, Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, CA

Have a greta Saturday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning Jay!!  Smile

Sounds like Holly and Marj had wonderful birthdays!!   Happy Happy my friends!!

Fleet feet to all the racers this weekend!!

I'm heading out in a bit to run 17 on the Boston course with some friends!!  Have a wonderful Saturday!!

denise

New skirt in town

I had planned my long run for today, but there is still so much snow covering the roads!  It's a bright and relatively warm day, so I'm going to let the sun do its magic and melt the snow.  6 easy miles today, and I'll aim for my long run tomorrow.

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Good Morning folks!

It's been awhile since I've posted---very busy with work travel and all the family schedule stuff with Super-granny and the kiddo's hockey season, driving practice and more. I am also sidelined with an injury and have a boot/cast on my right foot. The habit of posting a run then is broken for the moment. I haven't been injured like this for six or seven years (stress reaction and tendinopathy---inner right ankle). Yup, ignored a twinge and believed in my running immortality. No Boston Marathon for me this year and probably no running until mid-April at the earliest. I'll have rock-hard abs though from daily planks and core work and will get back into the pool and relive my competitive swimming days for some cross-training.  I'll be back---roar.

My running/walking will be vicarious through all of you and I know you'll do me proud! Smile

Hang tough my eastern NE friends---we only had two inches here in Florence, but just 15 minutes away they got 24" Can't say I am sad that we dodged that bullet, but I am more than sick of snow and winter. Kids are losing vacation days since the snow day bank is long empty and the town budgets for snow removal are well beyond zero.

Good Luck to all those racing and don't forget to Spring Forward with your clocks tomorrow!

C-R

Hi Jay Denise Robin and CNY.

Snowblowing and massages. Good luck on getting better Jay

gave fun on the long run Denise And Robin.

bummer CNY. I hope you heal up soon. Those injuries are the pita.

Ran my 10k in 41;20. Just didn't have the leg strength yet to hang on. Perfect Dayton run with 40 and sunny. Overall I'm happy with it and ready to take on the day. Have a great one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

I'm heading out in a bit to run 17 on the Boston course with some friends!!  Have a wonderful Saturday!!

We 'ran' into Denise on the boston course - looking strong and I couldn't keep up with her.  I ran about 7 on a beautiful, sunny, cool day. hopefully the snow will disapper quickly.

happy racing!

((cny - heal fast))

marj

Karen - That really stinks about the ankle.  Hope it heals well.  Have fun with the swimming.

Jay - Big grin at the comment re the Boy Scouts and your knots.  That's how I felt when I got my  massage last week.

Getting ready to heady for my last LR with Karen.  10 miles on the McKay, then we'll head over to her house to spend the day packing up her things. Sad

Have a safe day, friends ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

No run for me today. We did a 7 mile tempo last night and are hoping for 11 or 12 tomorrow. Now it's off to UCSD for our son's 19th b-day. We will take him to lunch and get him some things at Costco and/or Target. Have a nice day.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning (oops later than I thoght) afternoon all.

jay--glad she didn't use the Gordian (?) knot solution involving swords.

Karen--sorry to hear that your'e laid up.  Hope the healing goes quickly and well.

C-r (earworm)--Nice 10K, especialy without a strong finish.

I went out for 4 miles on a glorious sunny morning.  Ended up with 5.5 when with about 100 yards to go, I met my son's old baseball coach going the other way and turned around to chat for 3/4 of a mile and then turned back to finish.  It was all at a 9:20 pace and it felt great to be able to add some extra with no pain and suffering.  Just under 25 miles for the week for a satisfying finish.  looking forward to 12 tomorrow.

have great runs for all that follow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

A really nice pre-spring morning here and my choice was to run at the park with the running club at 8AM or wait until 9AM and run there with the tri-group, so I chose the latter. Good choice, as the sun started to come out from the early morning fog and the temp was quickly rising from upper 20s to mid-30s. The parking lot was packed this morning with people out there walking, running, and biking!

We had a good run on the paved path around the lake, but had to step gingerly in a few sections where yesterday's snow melt had frozen overnight. Some of the group were doing 11 miles or more, but two of us decided to do just 8 (my longest distance since about October), so at least I had company all the way out and back.

8 miles at slightly below a 10-minute pace. OK for this point in the season and it'll help me be ready for next Sunday's 10K.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Slow, easy 7.07 miles.  Not really much else to say today.

King of PhotoShop

Nice time C-R!

Karin, we miss you, but thanks for posting. So many quit us when injured so I know we are all happy to hear from you.  Get well soon.

Hubris!  That's the word of the day.  I thought 20 would be a piece of cake this morning, but at 16 I knew I was cooked.  My buddies in the Clubhouse said it was warm and humid (63 and 95) and it was, but that isn't it. I'm just plain not recovered.  But that said, I'm very happy I did 16, a nice run although very slow.  More tomorrow.  Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So sorry to hear of your injury Karin! Heal up quick....

Hubris is one of my favorite words. Tends to hit you upside the head just when you need a smacking the most. Take it easy there, Mr Ribs.

Garmin Connect now tells you what the temperature was of your run, in case you didn't pay attention when you were out there yourself. It was 43F and sunny when I went out to do my 16 miles today, and finished up in the low 50s when I was done (as per the readout in my car). Clockwork-like splits as is my trademark, though today I noticed the second 8 miles (9:42 avg) were faster than the first (9:49 avg). Splits were 9:58, 9:47, 10:04, 9:50, 9:44, 9:47, 9:45, 9:41, 9:51, 9:43, 9:45, 9:39, 9:39, 9:48, 9:41, 9:35, for an overall avg pace of 9:46. Felt great. Still running sans fuel but I think it might be time to start experimenting in order to prepare for race day. Only 8 weeks from today!

evanflein

Happy belated birthdays to Holly and Marj! Holly, that was quite the cake your DH provided!

Oh no, CNYrunner! That just so totally sucks. But, one thing you do well is stick to a plan almost to a fault (grin) so I know you'll recover well. Roar, indeed!

Very nice 10k time, C-R, especially when you feel you've got more in you. That would be a strong PR for me....

Jay, ouch. I'm not a fan of those deep massages but I now a lot of people like them. I've had one and felt beat up for a week afterwards.

Denise, you go, grrl! Nice running for you these days! You'll do great at Boston. I think that after all these years of volunteering it's just so cool that you're getting to run it this year! That's some of the best karma I've seen in awhile.

Nice run, OM! I've always wished my Garmin would record temperature. I just upload my runs to RA log and have to remember to check the temp. Cool feature though.

Hang in there, Ribs. That goal of 20 so soon after your 50k might've been a bit ambitious... Hubris, indeed.

Sorry about the late snow dumps for you guys on the East Coast, and I think I heard Denver was getting slammed too (that could be old news though...). I'm happy to say we are having gorgeous weather, and hit 40° officially for the first time since last October! I've been taking advantage by running outside most days after work, but took Wednesday off because of schedule and exhaustion. It's still nice out today so I'm going out soon for a few more miles. Probably just stick around the neighborhood so it'll be hilly.

And by the way, I'll throw in my semi-annual whine about how stoopid the whole daylight savings thing is. Especially for a state bathed in daylight all summer anyway. I mean, if we can't really "save" it and "use it later," what the hell is the point? Roll eyes

CNY, it's good to hear from you but I'm sorry that you're on the DL.  Be smart in your recovery and come back strong.  C-R, good job in your 10K.  Jack, neat you are going to celebrate your son's birthday with him.

Nice long runs for mari, ribs, and OM.

It was in the mid 20s and there was just a light breeze when I went out this morning.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS