Masters Running

Sunday March 15th Daily (Read 36 times)

Tramps

Everyone out running long today?  Guess I’ll jump in.

A slew of nice racing yesterday.  Xc Trakster’s times were especially awesome.  Wow!

At the other end of the spectrum, I ran an 8K “race” today.  My head was so NOT in it that I forgot to bring my Garmin.  I think that’s a first for me.  Not surprisingly, given I’m out of shape and had no objective pace measure, I easily racked up my worst time ever.  It wasn’t even close.  Still had fun, though.  Pleasant, sunny morning in the 40s.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Meh, you can't race them all, right? Some are just supported runs and that's ok. Good to get out on a nice morning.

Yes, Trackrat/Trackster whatever he's going by these days is fast no matter what the handle. The men's races aren't going to be the same around here, that's for sure.

Wildchild is going to Greece? For 3 weeks? Wow... you sure are traveling a lot. Did I miss that you retired completely? I hope you send lots of pictures from there. I'm not really familiar with it but I would think this is a really good time to be there, right? (temperature wise)

-33° here this morning! Ah yes, I love Fairbanks in March! The good news is it's clear and sunny and we should get up to at least 5° today. Woot! (come on guys, work with me here....) I will get out for a run this afternoon, after it gets above zero. Kind of nice to know I have 35 miles on the log so far this week, so I can run a "baby" long run of 10-12 and still hit mid-40's for the week. At this stage of the game, that's a good week for me. Can't wait till spring....(i.e., mid-April).

Good runs and races yesterday!

Love the pick of Ribs and son!!!

Erika, I ran this morning at bit under 5°, but mine was Celsius as opposed to Fahrenheit.

We finally got temps up above freezing only a week ago and already I have snowdrops in bloom in the little bit of my garden that has emerged out of the snow.

12 slow miles on the road with a couple of new friends.  One is planning to run the Hamilton Around the Bay 30K race in 2 weeks, but has been sick so hasn't gotten a LR longer than 21K in.  Told her to just go have fun... she'll be fine.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

TammyinGP

wildchild does lead a wildly exciting life with all her travels!

i'm supposed to do a short trail run today, but i have a feeling I won't. it's sort of blustery rainy out today and i'm thinking I want a total rest day from running. at some point I'll walk the trails with the dogs, inbetween rain showers, so i'm calling it a recovery-walk day.

pot roast, taters, carrots and onions in the crockpot. and  green pistachio bundt cake just came out of the oven. yep, it's a lazy sunday here. . . or as lazy as you can get with 5 loads of laundry to do also.

Tammy

My DW and I just returned from a week in the Caribbean.  I kept quiet on the forum since I am generally reluctant to advertise on social media when nobody will be home for an extended period of time.  Paranoia I suspect.  There are press reports about burglars looking for posts to find places to rob, but I suspect the number of such robberies is trivial.

Back and glad to see some warmer weather (note, not warm just warmer!).  There was a 4 mile race today that I thought about dong but bagged.  The problem is that it started at 11am!    Who starts a race that late?  Worse, I would have had to arrive before 10:30 since that is when same day registration closed.  I just did not want to lose the whole morning for this so instead I went off for an 8 mile run.

Here is a picture from my little trip. It is of a beach in Anguilla that I ran over too during my 19 mile run on Monday.

Beach in Anguilla

Now there is a good dog!  Not one of the 4 that chased me the day before.

In other traveling news, I just agreed to go to a conference in Seattle in June.  If all goes well perhaps I will once again see a few of the PNW RA masters this year.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Generally I would consider an almost 40 degree jump to be shorts weather.  Slightly different perspective, to be sure.

Speaking of shorts, I made it out in shorts this morning for 5.3 miles in 39F.  Just a little change from a week ago.  Three guys about my age caught up with me about 1/2 mile in and I ran and chatted with them for a couple of miles.  They were going a little quicker than I'm used to, so low 9's (fast at this point) while chatting and a bit slower for the rest--about 9:40 overall.  No wind at all--it felt very nice.  Now it's raining, with a possibility of changing to snow later this afternoon.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you, TC.  These days it seems you can't be too careful.  Nice of you to not rub in being in a warm place, whatever the reason.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yes, Trackrat/Trackster whatever he's going by these days is fast no matter what the handle. The men's races aren't going to be the same around here, that's for sure.

Yeah--and Starr wants to see him and me in a race, sometime...gee, wouldn't that be fun...yeah...real fun...

Did I post my run, last night?  It was 10 miles in 1:20:57.  Today was 8 miles in 1:07:37.

Okay--that's it--I have to go into work and get some stuff done.  That place is killing me.  See ya!

Mariposai

Tramps is an absent minded professor? No... (hah, I could not help it, I just had to say that .

Enjoy your baby run, Erika.

Lamerunner, wanna do the Rozie Ruiz Relay with us this year? We are hoping to get Jlynne and others from  here too.

Tamster, Green bunt cake, now you just gave an idea of what to bake for our office this week. Enjoy your rest day. It is raining here too.

Twocat, welcome back from the warmer weather. Great news about your trip to Seattle.

Stumpy is running in short, what a change that must be for you folks back east.

The rain was pouring down as I was being chased by Zombies during my 7 miles today. A 51 miles total for the week and feeling strong for Boston.

Off to make borscht for the Easy Pacer who is down with the nasty cold that is going around. I figure some comfort food will do him good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello friends!

Just getting ready to get dinner on the table (bacon-wrapped chicken on skewers and brown rice with pesto) so I will make this quick.

Two hours on the bike trainer watching King Arthur and then a 2 mile walk with the dogs.

The bike trainer is tough, because it seems to focus almost entirely on the thigh muscles.  I think it would be easier to run for two hours because the work is spread out over your body more.

There's a 10-mile trail race next Sunday that my running team is doing, and, while I am not supposed to be running, I sure would like to show up for moral support to the ladies that are running.  I could race-walk it - that wouldn't break the no running rule, I'm pretty sure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Well, here I am in Tetless Seattle, and it's just after 4 pm and of course I'm starving with the two hour time change.  Raining here, what's new?

The Saint and I did 9.2 easy miles this morning before I had to leave.  Very excited about this week of work.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

happy real pi day.

ribs - just get on the plane for another ten hours and 16 hours of jet lag and I'll take you to my favorite fugu restaurant.

too bad the seawall construction down on the Seattle waterfront has closed Ivar's Sunday all-you-can-eat fish feasts; you wouldn't have to eat for the rest of the week.  Nice place to run too, . . . . just don't trip and fall in.

Well, here I am in Tetless Seattle, and it's just after 4 pm and of course I'm starving with the two hour time change.  Raining here, what's new?

ps holly - I don't think you would enjoy walking something you know you can run; maybe wait until you know you can't

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Love it tet!  Just the idea makes me smile.

Very cool, Carolyn.  I really want to know about the light.  It's supposed to be spectacular, no?  Oh, and feel free to use my name.....Yanni is very common there.  (Grampa went to Ellis Island on the boat as a young teen orphan and we think got blended in with a Greek family as there's no Y in the Italian alphabet.)

Leg is improving--lot of bruising on the back, never experienced anything like it before.  Got in 13.1 today a little quicker than yesterday's 8.

It's getting hot here.......

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

It's going to warm up here this week, not "hot" but much better than it has been. I got in a double digit outside run today! Longest run in 3 weeks! It was about 6° to 9° but the wind from the NE really got my attention. Dressed for the conditions though, and almost overheated when the wind was at my back. Got in 11.1 miles at 8:28 average. Goal was 8:30 so I'm real happy with that.

Enjoy Seattle, Ribs! We've stayed at the WAC before and it's in a good location. Not too far to get to the waterfront, and that park Tet mentioned (name escapes me right now....) which is where I like to run when there.

SteveP

Have fun Wildchild!! Opa!

Looking ahead to this week, I'm expecting something close to moderation. Which means I can over do it in another area. I had to head south a bit Friday afternoon. I passed our place and grabbed Tag.  I passed DD#2's. Picked up Honey and Achilles.  We went right by DD#'3's and got Marley.

After taking care of business, I put on the snowshoes and started running towards one of two waterfalls in Michigan's Lower Peninsula. 

At one point I fell going downhill and the dogs dragged me. I could have let go of the rope I guess.

It was 57oF and the first time I've snowshoes in a t shirt.

I was a little anti climatic. I suspect the water flow will improve as the snow and I melt. While on top of a hill and still on the trail. we fell through ice. The water was deep enough that Honey was swimming. At least the dogs got rinsed off before getting back into the truck. Just shy of 5 miles.

SteveP

mm please bear with my name change. I'll figure it out. Or not.

Did 13.5 in Waterton Canyon. Very very tired. Races, even 5Ks, take a toll. And it got hot here. Close your eyes Erika,  high 70s.

Got an offer on the house in Fairbanks. Exciting but also a bit sad. That's where we brought up our kids. Home for 11 years.

But my wife is excited. Something about a March day in 70s here vs. -33 will do that.