Masters Running

Fall, 2015 What's a good marathon or 50k? (Read 36 times)

Holly, how about New York State? And this one: http://wineglassmarathon.com

I ran this in 2009 and loved it. Willrunforbeer and Predawnrunner were there as well and we had a blast. The medals are handblown at Corning Glass (I turned mine into a Christmas ornament) and all participants get a split of champagne. Southern Tier of NY, fall colors, and fast and flat. 1/2 and relay as well.  October 4, 2015

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Trying to decide if I should start a new thread, but I'll bump this to refresh people's memories.

I'm going to be registering for the 25K at Pinelands and hope I get a few miles in in the next two months.  DW and I have talked it over and we plan on having the camp open and available for a meetup if anyone else decides they would like to deal with relentless hills for 25 (or 50K or 50M).  we're about 10 miles away from the races.  Not fancy, but there's always a decent assortment of beer in the fridge and a grill on the deck.  Oh, and a shower.  We'd love to have anyone drop in or we have a few spare beds if you'd like to stay a little longer.

I guess if there's enough interest, I will start a new thread to keep track.  messages work, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I just registered for Wineglass Marathon on October 4. Also looking at Freedom's Run the next weekend in WV. Actually it starts and ends in WV, but is mostly run in MD.

Marathon Maniac #957

Freedom's run - Erika, I am very interested in that one.  That's about a 7 hour drive for me.  What made you choose that race?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I'll be in WV by the fall, but that Freedom Run is about as far away as you can get and still be in the same state.

evanflein

Holly, it's "in the area" (ok, remember you're talking to an Alaskan) and the following weekend from Wineglass. As long as I'm out of the state, and all the way across the country, it doesn't make sense to just do one race and go home.... Plus, it's very close to WRFB and PDR so thought we'd stop by and check out their new deck!

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I am seriously thinking of doing the Freedom's Run, and am trying to talk my friends Renee and Tara into it, although they are not good at committing that far out.  Are you going to be bringing your DH along on that trip?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I haven't actually signed up for that one (I did sign up for Wineglass) but will if you do! Yes, this is a trip DH and I are taking, and we're thinking of going to Lou and Harriet's to visit too (they are very close to the finish). This is a good way for me to burn up a week or so of leave since I can't cash any out anymore.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hmmm,  the Freedom Run looks like it's at least partly on trails.  I'm interested!  I'd love to see Holly and Erika again, and Tara and Renee if they come, and meet WRFB and PDR!  And West Virginia would be a new state.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

The course:

For the Marathon- the course is a mix of road and hard pack trail. First 4 miles are net downhill, next 10 are a long stretch of flat on the crusher surface C & O Canal. Once leaving the Canal the course is very hilly and rolling through Antietam Battlefield. The last 4 miles are flat and gentle downhill.  There is a course map with an elevation chart included in the "course" section. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - it would be awesome to see you again, too!