Masters Running

Injury update, Please Advise (Read 315 times)

mrrun

Jim, I second getting another opinion. I have a tear in my miniscus diagnosed by an MRI about a year ago after having acute pain for several weeks. however, the orthopod (who's in a sports medicine group) said most people my age - 63 - have a tear. only a radiologist would find it and he was against surgery. he said swim, bike, and elliptical for one month and come back. i mainly biked but didn't run for about 6 weeks then increased running gradually and planning a marathon in april. marj
      Oogly - Where are you located that you were gonna run Ave of the Giants? Curious, because I live about 30 minutes from the starting line. Big grin Can't say much else, except I agree with people's comments that you need to find an up-to-date doc, and a sports doc at that. You might be able to do some PT exercises that will help strengthen the entire knee before trying the surgery route. Twocats - Thanks for that dialog. I intend to copy it and send it out those who are STILL telling me running is bad for me.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

umwb

Oogly - Where are you located that you were gonna run Ave of the Giants? Curious, because I live about 30 minutes from the starting line. Big grin Can't say much else, except I agree with people's comments that you need to find an up-to-date doc, and a sports doc at that. You might be able to do some PT exercises that will help strengthen the entire knee before trying the surgery route. Twocats - Thanks for that dialog. I intend to copy it and send it out those who are STILL telling me running is bad for me.
        I live in Antioch CA, about 45 minutes from S.F
        When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !
          Ah! I'll be down in your part of the state in a couple of weeks for a conference in Concord. Nice to meet another Californian. Smile

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

umwb

Ah! I'll be down in your part of the state in a couple of weeks for a conference in Concord. Nice to meet another Californian. Smile
            I've been dying to meet up with another boomer for a run, and here I am with a bum knee Angry Angry We've got some great trails around here I'm sure you would love My sister lives near Fort Bragg, I've been meaning to get up there and visit maybe we could hook up then
            When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !