Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.12.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just a walk-by this morning 'cause I have another early meeting. It's another meeting-filled week this week, and I can't tell you how excited I am. Actually, I can tell you: Not very.

5.5 racewalking miles at J o'clock in 17F temps, under clear skies. I could have been dressed a little warmer for the weather, but I did OK.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, all.  Quick one here, too, as I get to work down in NJ.

a brisk and chilly 2.1 miles around the apartment complex where the company has a couple of apartments for the site super and the itinerent engineers hang out.

Leslie--It's a hard thing to do, but there are enough good memories resurected to help.  Going to be 4 years soon that my mom passed and there's still a lot of stuff sitting in the basement of her house (Nephew and GF live there now).  One of these days, Sis and I need to get going again on sorting and disposing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Beginning day 3 of the deep freeze. we had 30mph winds this morning so I opted out. Maybe the gym treadmill after work.

Good football game last night.

Marathon Maniac #957

Snow and winds here, too, so I also opted for the TM.

5.3 miles watching Downton Abbey.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

You can tell I am out of the north. There is a chance for an inch or two of snow today and schools are being let out early.  The inability to cope with a little snow is amazing.

I was actually hoping for a morning run in the snow but it wasn't doing anything when I was out for a 4.4 mile run.

I put my heart rate monitor on for the first time in months. It says I hit 169 today. My max using the 220-age is 163, so I exceeded my max by 6 beats per minute. But my max is probably higher than that formula and I probably didn't really hit 169 today.

Dave59

5.3 miles watching Downton Abbey.

You're lucky that didn't put you to sleep. You would have fallen off the TM.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

34F

winds calm

7.18 miles

average pace: 9:10

There were 8 of us this morning!  Big group for a Tuesday. We welcomed Janice with us for the first time. (Janice and I have known each other for well over 20 years but "ran" in different circles).  We gave her a run for her money! I don't think we scared her off because she sent an email saying that she "LOVED IT".  She kept up very well until the last mile or so. Bill stayed with her because we weren't in the best part of town at one point. (Not really a bad part of town but, a young woman runner was assaulted there last year. They caught the guy within an hour or so)

I had a physical this morning. For the first time in over a decade they did an EKG. The last time I had an EKG, one of the waves was inverted and I had to go to the "big" hospital and have nuclear tests. Radioactive dye and then treadmill activity until they saw what they wanted. At that time they told me I my heart was perfectly fine. In fact, they had me go get more pictures on another machine because the machine was new and they had never seen a healthy heart on it.

So when Doc and I were looking at my EKG this morning, there was that old inverted wave again. And something new that he was curious about. Dagnabit.

Fortunately, he is a lowkey guy. He told me he was going to look up the tests from way back when and get back to me.

Unfortunately, I told him about a little pain in my left foot. He did a test for plantar fascitis that about sent me through the roof. He nodded knowingly to his scribe, "That's a positive for plantar fascitis".  She had already noted that.

No biggie. I will just keep stretching before I get out of bed and throughout the day. And keep running.

Mobobo, we were living parallel lives. I also saw David Bowie in concert. HIs "Let's Dance" tour. At the Richfield Coliseum near Cleveland.

Deez, all right. I am going to just start with one closet at a time. We have no basement here, being at sea level and all.

RochesterRunner!  So cool that you and lilmissrosie were born at the same hospital. You ended up more North and she ended up more South.

Spareribs the holder. Ha.  Aamos the Lucy. Ha. Poor Charlie Brown.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

THE GIFT OF RUNNING

It’s way, way even more so as the years march along, especially losing family members twenty and more years before they could get to where I’ve been able to get to now, suffering of friends and family relatives, to say nothing of the sadnesses, tragedies and travails of others herein let alone the rest of the world. At first, running and hesitantly posting herein used to be a way to escape it all and had nothing to do with any physical "gift' for running I might have had of which I have none.  Thanks now to all, I'm finally figuring out that the "gift" or running doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with running.

Absolutely ~

And thank you all for your thoughts yesterday.  I'll get through this.  It just takes time.  And 2Kitty - Pretty much all my running is "for my mom."  For much of the last few years of mom's life, she couldn't walk a block without being in extreme pain, let alone run.  I like to think I inherited some of that strength.

Holly - I'm sad this is the last season of Dowton Abbey. 

Sounds like Ribs' Lucy pup has a tumor on her chest.  They're trying to decide what to do as evidently they can't know if it's cancerous or benign unless the tumor is excised.  Keep little Lucy in your thoughts and prayers.

Switched workouts around and did my stat biking this a.m. (45 min with 6 x 1 min hard in the middle).  The "hard" minutes are getting easier, so I know I'm getting stronger.

I was supposed to run, but it was pouring when I got up, and the wind was howling, so I said, "Nuh uh!" and decided to do my bike workout instead.  Of course, right when I was about to walk out the door to the shed it all stopped.  Too bad, I'm not changing my plans.  Didn't even get on the bike and I had to use the bathroom.  Thank you, Lord, for not letting me be out on the road, 'cause there ain't no place out there to go to the bathroom except someone's bushes!! 

About 11:30 last night, the Wilsonater woke me up to get under the covers when all of a sudden BOOM!!!!  Instantly woke up The Hub.  We thought maybe a meth lab had exploded somewhere within a few blocks of our house, but he went outside and didn't see any flames, never heard any sirens, but a couple of minutes later we heard fireworks explode, so I'm figuring someone exploded a mortar shell or a pipe bomb.  It shook our house so hard, we had to reset the clocks on our microwave, oven, and answering machine.  I have no idea when the cats finally crawled out from under the bed.  That's the only time when there is a total truce in the house - when everyone's had the crap scared out of them and the only place to hide is under mom and dad's bed.  It's like, "Dude, give me 10 minutes and I'll start hating you again.  But right now . . ."  "Absolutely.  You stay under that corner, I'll stay under this corner and we'll all live to fight another day."

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

That's right, Leslie, you will, well, maybe not get through, but you just go on one day at a time and you still miss them like crazy, but the pain lessens and the good memories provide more and more warmth.   Time.

Long sleeves again here, whoa!  6.5

Ordered me up some girl scout cookies  today.   I think I still have a box from last year.  Hope that cellophane holds.

Work could be better.   It prolly will be tomorrow.  And a very lovely colleague just let me vent.  I'm taking the moment to wish her extra special good karma today.

And to all of you, my running friends who are gifts in your ownselfs to me.

And that's the truth.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Second time around - first posting didn't work

Aamos - bought girl scout cookies from GD1 they get the money and keep the cookies.  if she were smart, she'd resell them!  we've left your deep freeze and will have to deal with new england deep freeze in the morning!

dave - i love downton abbey although it's a soap opera

fatozzig - we're minimalists but still trying to clean up papers, so our children won't have to.

twocat - heal quickly.  we got caught in a florida downpour, but dried out quickly.  fortunately we weren't running.

happy trails,

marj

This morning, it was cold, snowy, windy, and icy.  My wife had to go to Saginaw (weekly art class) so, like last week, I went along and ran inside on the 9.5 laps/mi track.  I did 5 miles at an 11:17 pace.  Each mile was better than the one before.  I don't remember if I mentioned it before but, our TM died awhile back.  We've ordered another and I hope it will not be too long before we get it.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

happy trails,

marj

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun the "No running in the rain!"© rule has an exception for running home if it starts raining after you start. So you might have been in the clear. Now fatozzig was being extra responsible by not even risking having to fall under the exception. 

buehrle funny story about the EKG!

Dave59 your post reminded me to see if anyone here has seen the Sensoria equipment in action. You can find their stuff at http://www.sensoriafitness.com/. They have a shirt for guys and jogging bra for gals with built in heart rate monitors. I hate chest straps and this seems like a good solution to that problem. As to your heart rate today, nice to know you are at least 6 years younger than you thought!

Nothing to see here. Move along. No run. No elliptical. No nothing. Well I did walk up some stairs to get from the garage to my office. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

moebo

Just back from The Revenant--magnificent and poetic but also very grisly and (IMO) a little over-the-top.

Dave, my heart rate max is way higher than the 220-age formula. I hit 188 this summer during a bike ride and I think it could have gone a bit higher than that...

Leslie, I hope that time will make things easier for you.

I bought girl scout cookies from two of my students. I will probably end up hosting a cookie party in class!

5 miles this morning in 17 degrees, 9:35 pace.