Masters Running

The last Thursday of February daily (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

Good morning friends.

This will be a quick  post from me. Two easy recovery miles to welcome the sun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai and everyone.

I racewalked 4.2 miles (pre-WC recalculation) at 4:15 this morning. It was 33F - just warm enough so the wet roads from yesterday's incessant rains didn't turn to an ice rink. I went pretty easy this morning, as I've been doing of late, and my hip discomfort was almost at a level where I could try to ignore it, but not quite. There was, as best I could tell, a near-full moon still high in the sky. There was enough cloud cover that most often all I could see was a subtle glow through the clouds. But it did peek through every once in a while, just to see if anyone was looking at it - I was.

A half marathon scheduled for last Sunday was canceled (by the local police dept.) because of a projected 6-10" snow storm. The organizers still had a party for the racers on Saturday afternoon, and set up a 13.1 meter course inside so everyone could still 'earn' their finisher's medal, and collect their race shirt. In addition, they offered $15 off the entry of an upcoming race. Even though the race form said that entry fees were not refundable, some people complained that the organizers didn't offer enough compensation for the canceled race. I always thought (and still do) that if a race I had entered was canceled because of potentially-dangerous weather, I just had to suck it up and deal with it. Do you expect 'compensation' in such circumstances? Does it make a difference if the race is a fund-raiser, or for profit? Where does the money for that compensation come from? Just wonderin'...

Have a greta Thursday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Interesting question Jay. Being one of the runners that was caught between a storm and a hard place with the NYC Marathon, it's hard to express my true views without getting upset as to how that whole situation was handled (i.e. the timing of the cancellation). But I tend to agree with you, that if things happen that are uncontrollable, like weather, and it's in the interests of all involved to cancel, that's just how it is. Life doesn't come with a money-back guarantee, so why should races? Nice that your event even had what it did, as a concession to the runners.

Rest day for me today. Haven't been back to the pool in about a month now, ever since my running went to six days per week. I guess my task today will be to work on not feeling bad about that.

Have a great day, all!

King of PhotoShop

From yesterday, since I couldn't get on this site after I posted for some reason:

OM, that was a sensational workout, and I hope you have more planned just like it.  These tempo runs are the bread and butter of sound marathon training.

Another note on lemon peel. As Twocat and others who cook know well, the lemon peel has two components to it:  the zest, or deep yellow thin outside layer, and the pith, which is the white part of the peel and bitter.  If you have good knife skills or a good thin, sharp paring knife, you can manage to cut nice big pieces of just the zest.  You would be amazed at how 2-3 of these zest pieces add a unique flavor to all kinds of stir fries and vegetable combinations, or to quinoa and other grains.  They do soften up as TC said and are even deliciouser the next day.  A great add to many dishes.

Arf, are you kidding me? I'm eating like a man possessed!

My RP wants to do a tenK on Saturday, so I'll go along for the ride and jog a few miles after the start, take some pics and hang out.  No way I'm racing!  But we did 2 laps on the dirt track today and while my legs feel perfectly good, I am not fooled.  I am still a bit fatigued.  Spareribs

...thanks yesterday to arf-ala//.............but I've been sick for a couple of weeks......

I've always worked out if sick

the BackSpasms

were messing up my work-outs

==========

pt xs and double weight sessions today

.............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Finish line Sunday.  The woman next to me is the RD, just checking that I was okay.  Singlet and logo designed by Egret:

Spareribs

Great photo, Ribs.  Figures you'd have your arm around a pretty woman. Wink

MHO re Refund of Race Fees - I am assuming that, as with trail races, it's right there in black and white where you sign up that (1) there are no refunds, or (2) a XX% refund is available until such-and-such date.  Most races have those funds designated to pay for the necessary expenses of the race.  If a person makes the decision to race in the winter, he/she should understand that inclement weather conditions could put a kybosh on the whole thing.  Sounds like the folks for Jay's race did a great job trying to make up for the cancellation.  Maybe the forcasted snow didn't show up, but there's no way for the RD's to know it wouldn't.  They have to make decisions based on the information available at the time.

About 50 min of core/strength training last night while finishing up "Because I Said So."  Diane Keaton is such a screw ball.

This morning is was 8 miles of a steady paced run in a muggy drizzle.  When I left the house, I told myself I was too tired to run the hills on the course I would be taking, and I vowed to turn up "S" Street when I got there.  . . . . I sucked it up and ran the hills.  I'm glad I did as my endurance is definitely improving, and the reward is the bathroom at Safeway at the 4-mile turn around point. Big grin

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I love learning all the cooking lessons and tips here.  Almost as inspiring as the runs and workouts.

I had a great afternoon with mom yesterday for her 98th birthday.  I baked a two layer chocolate cake (from scratch!).  When I picked mom up at 1:00 for our manicure/pedicure appointments, she told me that she lost her cane but I found it under her bed.  It’s amazing that she manages so well.  I think she uses her walker just so she has some place to put all her stuff.

She enjoyed the mani/pedi but the time ran a little late and we didn’t get back until almost 3:30 for coffee/cake with the other residents.  She was so cute when we sang to her.  She stood up afterwards and thanked everyone.  I was hoping she wouldn’t launch into “I pledge allegiance…”  like in Christmas Vacation.  One of the staff members asked me how old she was and then mom wanted to know what I told her.  She said “ I’ve been telling everyone I am 72.”  Ha-ha -- my brother will be 75 next month!

We even had live entertainment!  One of our utility customers, a 90+ year old man, was in the office with his accordion in the morning and played for us.  I asked him if he knew "Happy Birthday" and invited him to join mom and I for cake.  He showed up before we got there, but everyone enjoyed the music.  It turns out he drove the Worthmore Ice cream truck for 17 years (my Grandpa E. O. Olson’s company). Of course the homemade cake was such a treat for all of them too.  Too bad we don’t have Worthmore ice cream anymore!  Double dip cone for a nickel back in the day.

About races cancelling for weather, that seems reasonable to me that it happens on occasion.  I'd be disappointed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I'm planning to run around the lake after work. NWS says it's 37° and calm but TWC has us at 26° 11mph wind, which seems more like it.  I the TWC is right.  I've never checked both sites before, but 37° and calm really didn't seem right.  No wonder I don't always get layered up appropriately!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Starr, there's an app for iPhone and iPad called What to Wear for Running, put out by Runners Ally. Not sure if there's a web version of it though. It pulls up your local weather and advises you on how to dress for your run. You can set up your preference for liking to feel cool, warm or in-between.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-should-i-wear-running/id396379677?mt=8

an amazing likeness

some people complained that the organizers didn't offer enough compensation for the canceled race. I always thought (and still do) that if a race I had entered was canceled because of potentially-dangerous weather, I just had to suck it up and deal with it. Do you expect 'compensation' in such circumstances? Does it make a difference if the race is a fund-raiser, or for profit? Where does the money for that compensation come from? Just wonderin'...

I believe the RD was right on with a few points they shared:  (a) other than some of the timing fee, and some police OT expenses -- the race fees were sunk costs regardless of the event happening or not; (b) even though the weather wasn't bad as predicted, the town pulled the race's permit....the race could not be held by town order, not RD discretion; and (c) the $15 credit to a future race is basically giving back all their profit (Loco is a for-profit race organizer, no?) for those future races.

When I register for a race in February on the NH seacoast, I should reasonably assume there is a risk of cold, snow, wind, rain, sleet, high tides, low tides, nuclear power plant evacuation, and about 412 other reasons the race may be cancelled. That's just common sense.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If a person makes the decision to race in the winter, he/she should understand that inclement weather conditions could put a kybosh on the whole thing.  Sounds like the folks for Jay's race did a great job trying to make up for the cancellation.  Maybe the forcasted snow didn't show up, but there's no way for the RD's to know it wouldn't.  They have to make decisions based on the information available at the time.

How do you think this "judgement rule" should be applied during the summer? Remember the Cellcom last May when temps got into the upper 80's with high humidity and the RD called it off? Based on the # of people needing medical attention and the availability of personnel and equipment to deal with all of them, the race was called off, even with some people at about the 20 mile mark. Should they have been given a chance to finish? Oh - this year they're dealing with a new problem. The race's major sponsors are given a "secret" discount code for their employees, family and friends so they could all register for the race at a 50% discount. Apparently, the secret discount code numbers have gotten out on the street and several hundred people have registered for the race at the 50% off rate. Now they're scrambling trying to get the people who don't have a legit claim to the smaller rate to pony up. Too bad too, because this race is run for local charities every year and the money the race donates makes a huge difference in their yearly budgets.

Great picture Ribs. Loved the shirt.

Happy belated birthday to your mother Starr. She sounds like a hoot!

OM - wow. Your progress has been simply amazing. I suspect we'll be reading about your first Boston experience soon...

Hey TomW - want to get together and talk about bad backs?Smile  DH survived rotator cuff surgery. I told him to not get used to me waiting on him 24/7. Had my MRI yesterday, get the results tomorrow. If you could, would you all please think happy thoughts for me?

{{{Happy Thoughts for jylnne }}}}

and,

No, if I think about it, it makes it happen.

actually

I'm going to think about Sigourney Weaver.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

When I register for a race in February on the NH seacoast, I should reasonably assume there is a risk of cold, snow, wind, rain, sleet, high tides, low tides, nuclear power plant evacuation, and about 412 other reasons the race may be cancelled. That's just common sense.

+1.  Sounds like the promoters went over and above.

A little over 6.5 miles this morning.  There may be a little bit of conditioning sneaking in, as it felt pretty easy the whole way.  Although I've got to do a better job of flipping the splits and do the faster one last for a change.

I'm a bit dubious about a reduced rate for a charity race.  Maybe they should just give each sponsor a number of bibs depending on the size of the donation.  Then let them deal with handing them out.  Or using them to get further donations.  It's nice to be frugal, but you have to a little common sense (and decency) to when you exercise it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

A little over 6.5 miles this morning.  There may be a little bit of conditioning sneaking in, as it felt pretty easy the whole way.  Although I've got to do a better job of flipping the splits and do the faster one last for a change.

Kevin, I'm trying to do the faster ones last sometimes, too - fast finish long runs.  The trick is to start slow so you have something left at the end!  Of course when I run from my house it's easy to do the last one fast because it's a screaming downhill, 300 ft down in the last 0.7 miles.

Starr, Happy 98th birthday to your mom!  Sounds like an excellent party.

Maine, I wanted to add my condolences to your friends on the loss of their son.  So devastating, even though they knew it was coming eventually.

I ran 6.6 miles today so I would end the month on a prime number and get an award.  Yeah, I know, it's my own award, but still....  Joking

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

So my worry yesterday about today's weather was all for naught!!  We had a New England runner's dream day for the last day of February - dry, sunny, very little wind and high 40's!!  I couldn't have asked for a better day!!

14.5 miles in 2:23:13 ...... one of my good friends who some of you met last year at Robin's get together lives just under 2 miles from me.  Usually I drive to his house, then we run to "Evil Hill", do hill repeats and run back to his house.  Today I mixed it up and ran to his house, then to Evil Hill and while he did his 5 hill repeats I explored other routes and just did 2 passes at Evil Hill, then we ran back to his house and I continued on my way to finish with 14.5 ..... followed by a lot of stretching then a few minutes in the snow bank aka ice bathRoll eyes

I know it's not ideal jumping in to Boston this late in the training, but I just couldnt pass up this opportunity to run for the Matty Eappen Foundation.  I work with Matty's dad Sunny and he is just an amazing person as is his wife Debbie.   My plan is to increase my long runs by 2 miles each week, then run steady and safely.  I hope my body agrees with my planBlush

Jay - I think the RD did the best he/she could in a difficult situation!!

OM - that was a killer run you did yesterday!!

Ribs - you look great after your ultra!!

TomW - hope that back loosens up for you!!

Jlynne - happy thoughts your way!!

denise