Masters Running

Friday the 13th - Yikes! (Read 451 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tomwhite, sorry about the accident yesterday ( waking at 4). I hope you can get that fixed...

How's the shoulder, Byll?

Trips to the dump, followed by BBQ'd ribs - you have all the fun, Mariposai!

Congrats to Prime Rib on his sculpture award! Pictures?

Good bike work this week, Rochrunner!

Have a greta time in the Berkshires, Henrun & Marj - I hope it's a bit cooler there.

Good luck with the NPD, Econo.

Cute kitties, C-R!

Glad you got caught up and back on the right day, Tselbs.

It's good to know you're not panicking, Tet.  Shocked

Wildchild, I agree that bookstores are very dangerous, but only in the best of ways.

4.2 EZ RW miles at 4 this morning. 70F, a bit muggy, and with a soft but refreshing westerly breeze. The air felt heavy this morning, so I'm glad I planned on an EZ day. I didn't feel like pushing that heavy air. I got out a few minutes earlier today, and the sun is coming up a few minutes later, so we missed each other entirely today. But there was some nice moonlight shimmering on the sea from that sliver still sitting high in the sky. Someone had a window A/C or fan (couldn't tell) that sounded more like the put-put of a small boat motor than the hummm of a normal window cooler thingy. I thought that I'd rather have dealt with the temperature (which really wasn't bad for sleeping) than to try to sleep with that loud noise. Maybe it wasn't so noisy inside - but I doubt it.

We know it's going to be a hot day around here when it is 70 at 4am, so I'm not looking forward to mowing the lawn later this afternoon, but it's on the list...

Good luck, and good running to all of this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Quick post before I head to the beach for our last full day here on vacation .... 7.3 miles before the rest of the group was even rousing!!

Yesterday my dh and one of the other couples went with me to rent mountain bikes and we rode for 4 hours thru the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge - very fun!!   It has been an active vacation for me and very glad to have the others joining in for some of it!!

Happy Friday the 13th!!  May it be filled with lots of good luck and love!!Big grin

denise

Thanks for starting us off once again, Jay.

Denise, glad to hear you're having such a good vacation. Those family fun times stay with you for a lifetime!

I was grateful for the several days of relief from the HHH, but it's creeping back in again today and I just turned our a/c back on. I changed my planned route today to try to stick to a shady trail and was glad I did -- it was really sticky out there, or "heavy" as Jay put it. But I managed 4 extremely sweaty miles without any problems.

When I stopped at my turnaround point to down one of my fluid bottles, a male and female cardinal landed in the middle of the trail and proceeded to carry on with what looked like the bird equivalent of kissy-face. "Get a nest, you two!" I was about to say when they flew off into a nearby tree to presumably do just that :-). 

Carry on everyone, and best wishes to the weekend competitors!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Taking an actual vacation day today, with only a little work thrown in.  Of course a little work done on a porch 10' from a lake is a LITTLE more tolerable than sitting in a cube for the day.

woke up at 7am this morning, and saw that it was already 70.  Was debating canning a run, when I got semi-guilted into it by DW.  Glad she did, as I managed a short, but nice 2.2 miles in mostly shade..

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

4.25 sweaty miles this morning. Living in a city I really like all the green space our area has to offer. This morning all I could hear for most of my run were the birds in the trees and my footfalls on the crushed stone trail. Yesterday I was able to ride 36 miles on my mountain bike, with almost none of it on roads.

thanks for the kitteh pictures, C-R!  (((tabbies everywhere)))

2.9 mile jog to work for me, crisp and cool.  It will get warm later.

Mariposai

Stumpy, good for your wife to throw some guilty on you so you can go out running! Next time I go out East, I must meet that girl!

Econo, great to see you still commuting by run to work!

C-R, those are adorable kitty  pictures!

Denise, that must be one fun adventure by bike...pictures?

Craneum and all of you bike riders, any tips on the best bike seat out there...mine is giving me sore buttocks after a lousy 10 miler. I think I need more padding there.

Carolyn, bookstores are dangerous for my budget as well. I am a book-aholic!

Tetsujin, don't worry, Dove and I have a plan for you this weekend...Big grin.

Well, unlike the taperboy who is busy training this week, I am taking the day off today. The weather for the marathon is looking much, much better. Enkie, I contemplated to do an early start, but the official timing is only for the late started, so that is out of the question for me, just in case my wings wanna run fast Wink I want to have the official time.

BBQ dinner last night was exquisite (ribs, couscous salad, baby greens, Basque grilled veggies, grilled corn on the cub)...I ate like there is not tomorrow. Six hours of yard work (three big loads of yard debris to the landfill in hot 90+ weather) made us all very, very hungry, so all is good. 

Be cool!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay and mariposai and everyone from yesterday.

Don't worry.  I am not panicking

I do not have taper madness.
                  I have never had taper madness and never will
                  After all, it will be my 151st marathon in 36 years, you know.

Whatever will be will be and it doesn’t matter

It's not that big a deal if I don't break six hours.

It's all good exercise I wouldn't otherwise get
                  I am not worried that I did not do enough training
                  I am not worried that I did too much training
                  I am not worried I’ll go too fast and hit the wall

I am not worried if I will wake up in time
                  I am not worried about what to wear
                  I am not worried the tunnel will be too wet
                  I am not worried about if it will be too hot in the sun
                  I am not worried my knee will go out

I am not worried that the title of yesterday's daily will be my time.
                  I am not worried about whether to carry a hydration pack or not
                  I am not worried about a good enough flashlight for the tunnel
                  I am not worried about whether to put on sunblock before or after the tunnel

I am not worried I should be doing other things other than running all day long
                  I am not worried about all the sharp, crushed-gravel “improvements” on the trail
                  I am not worried because I can only find one of my Merrill Bahria Trail Thongs
                  I am not worried about the abrasion the other thongs caused during training
                  I am not worried that my thongs will break on me again

I am not worried if I should carry an extra pair of thongs
                  I am not worried about another bear in the middle of the trail this year
                  I am not worried about the cougar seen there last week
                  I am not worried that I can’t remember other things not to worry about
                  ......help!......

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Thanks to all of you who commented on Prime Rib's award.  As for what the award is for, I have no idea and will have to ask him. Some of the stuff he does I can't figure out what it is.  At one of his shows I saw some wooden thing on the floor that I thought the setup crew had left there by mistake and it was one of his works.

He can do a lot of things in many different media but he's a genius with wood, like my own dad was. I have no skill at all.  This next photo is one you have all seen before but I'm so proud of it I am brazenly putting it up again.  After he graduated from DePauw, he taught a 3-week course in woodworking and design and told me he was going to have the students build a birchbark canoe using only natural materials.  Here's the shot of it just before it was completed:

Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tet, you forgot about not worrying about having bathroom issues and missing the entire race... Big grin Have a great time and can't wait to hear all about marathon #151!

I set the alarm for 4:30am, and when I woke up, my first thought was that Jay was already out there....

I wanted to be out the door by 6am, but settled for 7am (see my first line) because in reality, that still really is early enough. Drove to the park and ran the same old paths I've run forever, no ipod and no company, just trudged along and got it done. 15 miles in 2:21:47 (9:27 avg pace). Now I have to pack for our girls' weekend away in the Poconos, leaving late this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get the packing done quickly so I can have a nap before driving up. I think the drive will take as long as my run today. Joking

The weekend's racing recap:

07/14 TammyinGP - SOB15K trail run, Ashland, OR

07/14 runnerclay - Make it by Midnight

07/14 Ileneforward - Summer Sizzle 15k, LB CA

07/14 wildchild - White Ranch Trail 10k, Jefferson County, CO

07/14 Mike E - Golden Lake Gallop, Circle Pines, MN

07/15 Mariposai - Light at the end of the tunnel, North Bend,  WA

07/15 Dove - Light at the end of the Tunnel Marathon, North Bend,  WA

07/15 tetsujin - Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon (North Bend, WA - thongs)

Go racers!! Have a great weekend, all!

TammyinGP

I need to be just as carefree and worry-free as Tet is.

running my first trail race tomorrow. It's "only" a 15K (also part of a 50K and 50 mile race), but it'll be a different beast for sure. altitude being the largest factor (that I'm not worried about  Roll eyes . I run at 1200-1500. not 5500-7000 ft. Is there really much of a difference?

Then I'm on vacation all next week. no home computer so I'll be off line, but if time permits I'll probably swing by my office after SOB and post a few pics. I plan on bringing my small digital camera with me in my running pack, as this is an area of the mountains I've never been to before and I'm sure the scenery will be breathtaking. There is still snow (very little) on a few parts of the trail, although I think only the ultra runners will traverse that part of the PCT.

good luck to all the racers this weekend!

Tammy

Craneum and all of you bike riders, any tips on the best bike seat out there...mine is giving me sore buttocks after a lousy 10 miler. I think I need more padding there.

So I didn't rate a mention among the bikers?? <sigh>  Anyway, what makes for a "good" bike seat is extremely subjective as you can imagine. I'm not sure what type of bike you have, but I know that the Terry brand concentrates on bike seats and other things that are specifically aimed at women. For example, women generally have wider-spaced sitbones that should have a wider seat than what a male would find comfortable.

Terry also sells a lot of women's clothing. Maybe they have a jersey with butterfly wing cutouts. You never know...

-- Roach

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Denise - your vacation sounds lovely!

OM - nice run, and enjoy the trip to the Poconos!  I've never done a "girls weekend."  Unless you count hanging out with my dogs, who are both girls.

Tet and Tammy - quit worrying!  Just get out on the trail and enjoy the gift!  Tammy, you might feel a little more winded at that altitude, but it's not super high. Drink extra fluids.

My 10k trail race tomorrow is at about 7,500 ft, which is lower than I usually run.   I ran the same race last year, and the trail is steep and technical, so it won't be a PR type race.  I'm just hoping to beat last year's time.  I'm taking a rest day today, since I usually run after work and the race is in the morning tomorrow.

I hope everyone gets nice running weather this weekend, especially the racers. Hope you're all having a lucky Friday the 13th!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dove

The Dovenator

It's true, Tet, Mari and I have a plan! I was thinking of taking the early start - 30 miles already this week and another 15 planned for Saturday so my legs may be a bit tired - add the previously forecasted hot weather and 5+ hours seemed just right. Now the forecast has changed and legs feel pretty good so I'm sticking with the regular start. Happy weekend!

"it's just like having fun, but different"

TammyinGP

Tet and Tammy - quit worrying!  Just get out on the trail and enjoy the gift!  Tammy, you might feel a little more winded at that altitude, but it's not super high. Drink extra fluids.

My 10k trail race tomorrow is at about 7,500 ft, which is lower than I usually run.   I ran the same race last year, and the trail is steep and technical, so it won't be a PR type race.  I'm just hoping to beat last year's time.  I'm taking a rest day today, since I usually run after work and the race is in the morning tomorrow.

I hope everyone gets nice running weather this weekend, especially the racers. Hope you're all having a lucky Friday the 13th!

good luck on your race!!

yeah, i'm not really that worried, just being facetious. i am not planning on "racing" this anyways and just viewing it as a good workout. and I'm fairly confident I won't be last. and I just looked at my elevation profile - not too bad. about 6300-7000 ft.   But remember Caroline - you live above the clouds. I'm at the valley fogline. so 7000 probably seems relatively easy to you.  I'm just a bit bummed that the super duper ultra runners doing the 50 miler will be FAR ahead of us on the trail - they start at 6 a.m., so won't get to see them.

I love this line from the final instruction email we got from the RD's yesterday: "Only change for the 50/50 this year is no aid at Grouse Gap. Yes, this is a change, but hey, change is good.  The 15K will have aid at GG because we like them better."

Tammy